KiteLife Forum

Mini leaders (extend the life of your Rev leaders)

Wayne Dowler

One of the things I've found dealing with wear - if you really like the leaders you're using now, make some short little "mini leaders" as attachments on your handles and larkshead the leaders to them!! Make yourself several sets in case of sudden wear and just replace the "minis" and reuse the other leader!!

• Like 5

Learned the hard way after going through 2 sets of leaders on different handles! Decided to go with the "minis", since I liked the spacing of the leaders I had! Another trick is to make multiple sets, all the same length! That way they can be used as top "minis" or bottoms!

One of the things I've found dealing with wear - if you really like the leaders you're using now, make some short little "mini leaders" as attachments on your handles and larkshead the leaders to them!! Make yourself several sets in case of sudden wear and just replace the "minis" and reuse the other leader!!

Hey Wayne,

I'd sure love to see a picture of "what you're describing", when you speak of "mini leaders". For some reason, I just can't quite seem to visualize what you mean. I do make my own leaders, whenever necessary, out of single strands of 170# bridal line. I have a loop in the end of the leaders, where they are attached to the handles (via the Watty snag-less method), but otherwise, they are just long (12" - 15") pieces of bridle line, with maybe eight, evenly spaced knots. My bottom leaders are much shorter (3" - 4"), with maybe just two knots. When I make them up, I usually make up several sets at a time, as they are quite easy to make, and I'll have spares, should I ever need them. The hardest part is making sure that the knots are evenly spaced, but most important, consistently "placed", from the left leader, to the right leader. The part I don't understand about the "mini leaders", is where do you put them, and where do they wear out ?

post-4670-0-36017700-1376246297_thumb.jp post-4670-0-92426100-1376246277_thumb.jp post-4670-0-61349400-1376246286_thumb.jp

Sorry I don't have pix, but I'll try explaining! You know your home made bottoms? Imagine putting them on the top, then larksheading your regular leaders to them! Make them with just one knot for ease of use, I do the same on bottom anyways! If you get too much wear, just replace the short pigtail, larkshead the main leader to it, and off you go!! I do double over my bridle line on each one, probably overkill, strength-wise, but how I do it!

I never had any problems with wear on my modded handles like yours, only since I switched to the no-snags! Movement of leaders through the hole and over itself, seem to be the issues of wear! I thought that having the leader exposed and rubbing of my thumb would be the major causes of wear, but it is the leaders themselves that are the worst reasons!! So I came up with the "mini" leaders that are expendable items!

I got 2 pairs of no-snags last October, worn out a set of leaders on each pair!! Now I know I fly more than the average guy, but this was unexpected! Especially when it happened right as I was flying one day! Came up with this idea as a temporary solution, but the more I thought on it, the more sense it made! So I'm using it full time now!!

• Like 1

Ok, so you've got a short (3" - 4") pigtail, with one knot, attached to both the top and bottom of your handles, then you lark's head your standard leaders, to that knot. :ani_wallbash: Crap, I should have figured that out..................

Anyway, I've never had a wear problem, but I do keep extra sets, ready made-up, in the flight box............

Good idea though............... :ani_idea:

Pretty easy solution - eh?

Yep...........but I still don't see why those handles, are wearing out your leaders, any worse than my set-up. I know you put in more hours than me, but I'm sure you use different sets of handles, for different types of flight. I basically use that same 13" set, for everything. :ani_victory:

I'm using 13" and 15" sets, both have had failures! The 15" had lighter weight leaders, but my 13" had heavier and both wore out! So the short "minis" solved the problem, sort of! May have a talk to the maker at WSIKF about this and see what he says about slowing down wear! Might be something he'll look at!

I think the idea here, is just that every time a leader *does* wear out at the handle point, it's easier to replace a tiny pigtail instead of tying X number of knots on a new leader and matching the length to your old one (or tying a whole new set). :)

That being said, I burn out a leader approx every year to year and a half - just depends on how you like to be prepared.

• Like 2

Actually you connect to a screw fixed into the plastic anchor!! Either turn the screw with a drill to run a file over the threads or use a shoulder screw!! A friend thinks a vinyl cap placed over the leader and semi sealing the top, will eliminate the wear!! Might have to try it!

Hi Wayne,

I'm with JB here, definitely nifty and I will go this route also incorporating a staking loop so avoiding any wear or dislocation in that respect. The leaders I recently tied are with knots at 1/4 inch intervals...

Felix

• Like 2

Nice to see you over here, Felix!! 1/4" apart?? I'd be in "paralysis by analysis" with that many knots to choose from!! :ani_giveup:

Hi Wayne,

I can assure you that given equal line lengths the short adjustments are sublime ;-) Your suggestion for replaceable terminations make this 'so good'. I will use polyester sleeved kevlar for the terminations and ground stake loops so should eliminate wear problems 'for a long time'...

Felix

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Actually you connect to a screw fixed into the plastic anchor!! Either turn the screw with a drill to run a file over the threads or use a shoulder screw!! A friend thinks a vinyl cap placed over the leader and semi sealing the top, will eliminate the wear!! Might have to try it!

I use a modified version of the DIY snag less handles. Same anchor, but no screw. A shaft going through the handle and the mini line you speak of is larks headed to that. The screw method pinches the line, where this method doesn't.

I use a modified version of the DIY snag less handles. Same anchor, but no screw. A shaft going through the handle and the mini line you speak of is larks headed to that. The screw method pinches the line, where this method doesn't.

Could you post some pictures, so we can see what you are talking about. A pic in the "ready to fly" mode, then a few as you would take it apart, or put it together ............... A picture is worth a thousand words. :ani_victory:

• Like 1

I've actually had some pieces made at a local machine shop that will adapt the bottom of a standard handle into a no-snag. So you get the strength of the stainless steel tube with an aluminum insert that is epoxied in place that has the single hole like the no-snag handles. Working on some pictures.

• Like 1

I've actually had some pieces made at a local machine shop that will adapt the bottom of a standard handle into a no-snag. So you get the strength of the stainless steel tube with an aluminum insert that is epoxied in place that has the single hole like the no-snag handles. Working on some pictures.

@ Bart...........Would love to see those also, which I believe I understand.

As for my previous request, I couldn't quite visualize what RAGINCAJUN was describing, in his post. Maybe he'll post some pics also.