KiteLife Forum

R2/230

andre

Little teaser Picture of my latest speedkite design.

The R2/230 which ist short for Rapier 2 230cm wingspan.

r2_1.jpg

I wanted to make a video but before that could happen the leading edge god had a disagreement with the ground god and the leading edge lost.

And yes, that contraption does fly, pulls like a bull, extreme short steering pull length and very high speed.

• Like 6

In its current incarnation it is insanely fast and insane agile. On the edge of uncontrollable. And i fly it on 111 feet (35m) which is the standard speedkite competition length over here. It just looks small, its 90 inches in wingspan.

So Andre, I'll assume, that based on your opening comments, these things do crash (occasionally), and I would guess, based on the speeds, seen in some of your earlier videos, these crashes may be quite violent :ani_wallbash:

Still, they are really fascinating, and amazing kites. I hope nothing got torn up to badly, in the crash (?). Hopefully, just a broken LE spar. Was the picture taken, before, or after, the unplanned landing.........?

Also, you mentioned 111 ft lines ! What is the strength (lbs/test) of those lines ?

Yes indeed a crash at full speed results usually in a fountain of flying carbon splinters and a mushroom cloud of fabric.

The picture was taken before any flight has taken place.

With speedkites you normaly chose the thinnest line that will hold the kite. Thick lines cost to much speed and you need the directness of a taut line.

I was flying it with a Liros DC60 line, which is tested for 185lbs, after it cleanly broke a 121lbs line in the first flight.

• Like 1

Yes indeed a crash at full speed results usually in a fountain of flying carbon splinters and a mushroom cloud of fabric.

The picture was taken before any flight has taken place.

With speedkites you normaly chose the thinnest line that will hold the kite. Thick lines cost to much speed and you need the directness of a taut line.

I was flying it with a Liros DC60 line, which is tested for 185lbs, after it cleanly broke a 121lbs line in the first flight.

So you've crashed it twice ? Yikes ! :cat_shy:

Nah, more like 30 times lol. But the others where harmless

I was inching my way towards a working bridle. With a kite with this high of an aspect ration, the bridle is very critical and time consuming to get right.