KiteLife Forum

mystainedskin

What measures do you take to get people together for just some plain old fun? I have tried several times to get some locals together...and it always fails for one reason or another. I am in no way stopping my efforts, just wondering what steps others take to make it happen. I work funky hours on days when most are relaxing..so it makes it tuff sometimes. Most of my flying is in the weee hours of the mornings now...but still want to make it happen.

I have heard some horror stories over permits and city participation from not far away...but I'm looking for more fun then festival for starters.

Anyways, input and thoughts are greatly appreciated ;)

• Like 2

I've been alone from the get go... Every now and again.. me and Oats have hooked up ,just by chance. There are a couple of Rev folks near by Oats , oldcaptainrusty....which we spoke today some and have made efforts to hook up and fly ..... And some about an hour south in St. Augustine. It just seems soooo difficult to get people linked up. Even at the recent shop gathering....was just a couple of folks.

The Tampa Bay folks are booming and love seeing them grow... I just havnt been able to make the trip.. although January is set on the calendar now ;)

Sometimes I enjoy the time with just me and the kite..but as my bag grows, flying sessions are becoming more work or effort and looking to make it a regular all day affair? Or routine... Setup shop somewhere, slk's up, bouncers and bowls, grab a Rev.....etc..

I visited my local spot the last 2 weeks and got several comments of good to see you back..we enjoy watching you. Guess I need to just do it....as you become a "regular" more people want to talk and show interest.

Give the handles to anyone who is even vaguely interested and let them have a go at it. Before you know it you'll have two or three converts flying beside you. PM "Jynx", and talk to her about it. I think she has hooked about 20 people into kite flying!

Give the handles to anyone who is even vaguely interested and let them have a go at it. Before you know it you'll have two or three converts flying beside you. PM "Jynx", and talk to her about it. I think she has hooked about 20 people into kite flying!

I was waiting for summertime...i think she plays not far from me in the hot months ;)

I do stop and talk and hand the kite off here and there.. but i was speaking more of the ones you know are there already locally.I have met a couple...even bought a Rev 2 from a guy. But alas, its like the great swamp ape...you only see one once in a lifetime or you here stories from others...lol :cat_shocked: I am still new to the kiting world. :mf_crackegg: ...but it would be nice to have more than 1 Rev in the air every now and again. Or more than 1 person flying more than one Rev I should say :bye1:

"more people want to talk & show interest."

I am quite the introvert but have come out of my shell a bit over the years. I believe I need to think about how approachable I make myself to others when I am enjoying my kites. I have learned in attending car shows that you need to display your car in a way that it causes people to stop & investigate further. So you open the hood, open the door, make a little sign board about your ride & even display accessories of interest. People walk right by a fine closed up car but stop to chat about my old jalopy because I invite them to do so. So as I fly my kites I need to somehow make that same invitation. The KiteLife expands my thoughts once more.

• Like 2

Yep, but you've got to have some people coming by! That helps.................... Some of us fly in near isolation, and those that do come by, look at you like you have 3 heads ! :blue_sad:
Let them..... We come back to that shared saying....

Those that were seen dancing..

Were considered crazy by those who couldn't hear the music.

• Like 2

Yep, but you've got to have some people coming by! That helps.................... Some of us fly in near isolation, and those that do come by, look at you like you have 3 heads ! :blue_sad:

Let them..... We come back to that shared saying....

Those that were seen dancing..

Were considered crazy by those who couldn't hear the music.

:big_beer:

Almost every time I fly and hit a good rhythm, when I land at the end, I look around for anyone intently watching... I flash teeth, then think "this is SO cool you know you want to" and project it.

3/5 people will at least come over a chat, then I hit 'em with this. ;)

post-1-0-91105100-1380335537_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-13538600-1380335573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I generally don't tell people I'm the President of anything unless we get really deep.

Instead, I focus on the kiting and relating the experience - all that other stuff comes later, it doesn't make a flier.

Same thing I try to tell the sport kite competitors... Gotta make fliers first, before you can make them competitors.

Person to person "this sh*t is the bomb and here's how easy it can be" wins out every time, keeping it real. ;)

• Like 1

One of my next projects will be 10-20 banners, each about 2-1/2 feet high, some with the KiteLife logo and some with "ask us a question" type of calls to action... I carry so much gear as it is, the big 16' banners, poles and stakes are just too hear, especially when you need to put up 3-4 banners in all.

The shorter banners should be able to just stack and roll up together, just stick 'em in the ground for use.

I just finished my first complete kite today (modified rokkaku), got a little more sewing skill and I've got the bug.

Maybe after AKA Convention though, time is limited. :)

• Like 1

From dean jordan himself...

Red headed Step Son of Star Farker

Greetings from Florida and welcome to another great AKA convention. When Scott told me what he was going to do I felt many emotions.

None of them were that I was sorry to see the Star Farker gone.

One thing that bothered me though, was the possibility of losing the tradition that has sprung up around this mysterious, strange apparition called the Star Farker.

Richard Dermer has chronicled its history, so if you’d like to know more, please ask him.

At any rate, this tradition which has raised more money for the AKA than any other auctioned item in the history of the AKA was in peril of being taken away.

Though getting rid of the original Star Farker is not a bad thing and I told Scott so.

BUT

What if we keep that event going, through something which is more portable, and that we wouldn’t be ashamed of hanging on our wall?

HERE IT IS

It’s not complete, just like it’s ancestor. It needs help, just like the organization itself.

This year may mark a turning point for our great little club, and I hope that is true. If so, I’d like to be one to say that with our new president, I will be at the next convention, with more and bigger.

You see, I want to support and help bring back our great organization on the principals it was founded on. One of which for me was always the FUN.

Thank you as always for allowing me to speak through my good friend Scott Skinner. I hope to see you all during the year on a kite field doing what we love.

Please support the AKA and help the Red Headed Step Son of Star Farker bring back the fun!!!!

Lots of love, for sure. :)

Be careful, John. Kite-making is very, very addictive. Soon you'll be buying a second sewing machine, and building an over-sized light table, and putting an extension on the sewing table, etc. etc. etc.

Can't you just see John, on a big sewing table, sewing himself up inside of a big kite :cat_lol:

• Like 2