KiteLife Forum

New Forum Member

I'm stumbling through this forum thing, it's newer to me than my Beetle Stuntkite. Like my flying, I'll get better at it with time. What I want to say is that this website is AWESOME! Thank You for sharing it with us. Three months ago I decided to learn to fly stunt kites. This site helped me decide on the kite to buy, how to fly, and where to research everything I now know about stunt kites. It's a whole different world of kiting beyond the single lines I've flown since childhood. Especially enjoy reading how the world of kites has grown within the archived Kiteline and SKQ files. My appreciation for all this information goes beyond these words, guess I'll show my support with a subscription contribution. Kitepilot

codykiteguy - I'm so far over the edge that I stuck a one hundred foot tube tail on my dual line kite today and scribbled across the sky! People actually stopped to watch! So - after you've flown a cody with a tube tail...how the heck do you neatly repack the tail? It's like rolling up a sausage! kitepilot

:lol: Okay this is almost too easy, I smell a set up coming on! You have extra long tube socks or tails and you want to wind them in quickly? Go to your local hardware store and purchase a large winder for electrical extension cords. two off set handles with the tails winding up in the middle. They usually have room for about 2 to 3 inches inside the winder if your tails are too wide, double them over :) You are allowed 2 more questions, before you have to purchase a Cody, and talking about Codys, John, has yours seen the light of day since you put it in your kite bag? NO, NO, NO! You have not put it in your kite bag??? For shame John, for shame! :blushing:

OK Cody Kite Guy...

I read about the winder for electrical extension cords and didn't want to admit that the idea hadn't occurred to me. :lol: I have some tube tails for my Skydancer quad that are always a pain to wind up as well as some tube tails for my mesh delta SLK. So I headed out for Home Depot. All I could find were a couple of elongated "H" winders with no handles. Didn't look like that would help at all. :blushing:

No, this isn't a setup... Is there some sort of winder that you're using where you wind up the tails and then take them off the winder, or do you need to store winder and all in the bag (I think this makes for a pretty big bundle). Thanks...

Later, Doug

:( Go easy on the poor little mouse, believe it or not I have good information that says she is working on a new kite of her own (design and construction) that will knock your socks off!! It is going to require some tails but from what I have seen she has it ALL under control :wacko: Watch out world, here comes the single line Trilbygirly, artist and all! :unsure:

• 1 year later...
:wacko: Hmmm, guessing I could say something here but, the guy has gone over the edge already, gone from single line to two line, I had my chance and he did not give me enough notice to put my plug for my kites in :sly:

Hey CodyKiteGuy....

When's your website going to be back up ? I've tried to click on it whenever I've seen you in the posts, but it's still broken. I'm looking for a do-it-all lifting kite that looks cool...

~Rob.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hey I use tube tails for single line displays all the time that are 60- 100 foot long-- I use a "stuff sack" and roll the tails over the "rings" at the head end of the tail folding over and over -- then just shove it in the bag and pull the zip cord--

-- when I deploy the tails I pull the "center" out of the bundle-- (the bridle and ring) attach to the line and let the launching kite unwind the balance of the tails-- very simple and no hardware to take up lots of room in my tails bag !!!

my big ribbon tails are 65 ft and I fold in half, roll like a newspaper, rolling the entire length, ends up about eight inches in diameter and 22 inches long!! == need to sew up some "stuff bags" for these two new additions

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

i just toss the leader/bridle into the mouth of the tube tails [omits tangled bridles] and start from there, winding the tube up over the "header" it soon takes on a "roll" of sorts and makes a small neat package when completed, not very fast..... wrap with a velcro strap when done or use a rubber band to keep it all in line inside the bag. Roger Horne made a device to use with a battery powered drill to wind his very long tubes with --- very nice piece out of hardwood etc.