KiteLife Forum

Dan Leigh XFS Delta (I'm feeling kinda stupid & down)

Reef Runner

Well, I'm really feeling kinda stupid right now (REALLY). I recently purchased a few single line kites, just to have something to put up in the air, for "flash and for giggles", while I play with my dual and/or quad line kites. I've had the new kites for several weeks now, some I've flown, some not. I normally do my flying at the coast, but today, we had a really nice breeze going on (SE 9 - 10 mph) at home, so I thought, why not (?), I haven't even put up my new Dan Leigh XFS Delta yet, so let's give it a try.

Well, I live on a golf course, and people are always giving me a hard time, about not flying there, but trust me, winds are really swirly on golf courses (by design), and I knew better. Those beautiful, wide open fairways, that look so inviting, are usually lined on either side, with trees, long rows of trees, and when it's those 100 - 120 ft pine trees, they channel the wind in all kinds of directions. Ever wonder why the Pros, play the wind, look at the flags, change clubs, etc? Believe me, it's a factor, a big factor, and it's not for kites.

Ok - "long story short" - I pulled out my "BRAND NEW", ITW Dan Leigh XFS Delta, that I purchased just a couple of weeks ago, and figured I'd give it a shot. I mean it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon, no one on the course, the temps are wonderful, and such a great breeze, to boot. What could go possibly go wrong..........this is just a simple single line kite (SLK). So, I hook up my line, and up it went, and just as it clears the tops of the pine trees, I suppose a bit of that unstable, swirly air hit it, and wham-o, just like lightning, into the top of a big pine tree, it went. Crap! No way out.........again, "long story short", by the time I got it out, my brand new kite had flown, for less than 1 minute, risen to about 130 feet max, and now, after about 2 hours of struggling to get it back down, it was toast.

The good news - nothing was broken (spars, spine, spreader, etc)

The bad news - the sail was in shreds, with numerous holes, punctures, and tears, The damage was just unbelievable. I can't believe, that with less than one minute of flight time on this kite, I have managed to completely and totally, destroy it beyond repair. One brand new, unflown, very nice Delta kite, down the tubes. I'm talking completely UNREPAIRABLE.....(garbage can material)

R.I.P.

post-4670-0-32990500-1381152176_thumb.jp

"this baby is history"

:w/stupid:

• Like 1

Oh man, that sucks Nick. Sorry to hear that

You're not as sorry as I am.............

It's my fault. I know better than to try and fly here, but it was just such a beautiful day, and the wind just felt so good....

Crap is all that I can say............ :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash: :ani_wallbash:

I learned the hard way also, but got away with only one six-inch tear to fix. Know the feeling, took a week of trying to get it down. It landed in the top of a tree in a forest preserve, far enough into the trees so it could not be seen from the edge of the forest.

TREES EAT KITES -- STAY AWAY!!!!!

• Like 1

I learned the hard way also, but got away with only one six-inch tear to fix. Know the feeling, took a week of trying to get it down. It landed in the top of a tree in a forest preserve, far enough into the trees so it could not be seen from the edge of the forest.

TREES EAT KITES -- STAY AWAY!!!!!

AND CHEWS THEM UP, PRIOR TO SPITTING THEM OUT !!!!!

Yep, it was like, everything was going well, for about a minute or so, as the kite climbed just beautifully, and then, out of no where, came this a little lull, due to some disturbed wind coming from behind me, and all of a sudden, it was like the big old pine tree just sucked the kite straight down into it's jaws from below....... After close examination with the binoculars, it was obvious that there was no way it was coming down, as the line was hopelessly entangled through, within, and around, a large bunch of green pine cones. Nothing to do but pull it free...........and kites don't like that ! LESSON LEARNED !

Yep, thanks a bunch PM, but I'm over that now............kinda ! :unsure:

Now, I'm looking for another kite to fill it's spot, but more importantly, I believe I see a new "winter project" coming on, to boot ! It might not end up as pretty as it once was, but I just bet that pile of shredded "ripstop" sees 500', by the time I'm done......... :)

:single:

• Like 2

Yes, the passion of flight, especially in the eyes of a great day, has taken my common sense away... tree tops seem to have a treacherous turbulence, married to limbs and pokers that finish the job. NO TREES PLEASE :ani_whistling:

Strange how this story of misfortune makes me want to get out & tempt the trees. Living here in the mountain woods I deal with trees constantly. Cool windy day here today. The trees were all waving to me.

• Like 1

The thing about light poles, balconies, and buildings, if you shake the kite a little, it normally begins to drop or fall, as the lines slide over the obstruction. Cut those lines, and the kite may fall, or you can usually gently work it all the way to the ground, disconnect the line, and then pull your line back over the obstruction. Not so, when the line is hopelessly entangled, over, around, and through, a bunch of green, sticky pine cones, 100 feet off the ground, and the kite sail is wedged tightly, deep between several large branches full of sappy pine needles, and more cones. Slack off the line, and absolutely nothing happens. The kite won't drop, and if it did, it would only end up hopelessly, deeper into the grasp of the dastardly tree . Pull and coax gently, and still, nothing happens. Jerk and pull fiercely, and still nothing. What a hopeless feeling :ani_wallbash:

I avoid trees like the plague. A friend of mine, who is an amazing Rev pilot, was flying at a local festival. A couple who were new to kiting got their brand new baby SLK caught in one of trees that dot the field. He pulled out his B-pro and proceeded to expertly nudge their kite out of harm's way, but in the process one little gust swirling the wrong way meant that his baby was now snagged far worse than the original kite. Hours of effort with upended picnic tables and banner poles only made it worse. In the end, he had to leave without it. A year later the skeleton of his kite still haunts that tree as a reminder that no good deed goes unpunished. :(

I avoid trees like the plague. A friend of mine, who is an amazing Rev pilot, was flying at a local festival. A couple who were new to kiting got their brand new baby SLK caught in one of trees that dot the field. He pulled out his B-pro and proceeded to expertly nudge their kite out of harm's way, but in the process one little gust swirling the wrong way meant that his baby was now snagged far worse than the original kite. Hours of effort with upended picnic tables and banner poles only made it worse. In the end, he had to leave without it. A year later the skeleton of his kite still haunts that tree as a reminder that no good deed goes unpunished. :(

Oh gosh...........a B-Pro ? That's awful ! I can only imagine the anguish you friend mush have felt ! I felt pretty stupid, myself, and normally, I too "avoid trees like the plague". I thought I was clear and well above them, but as in your case, that "one little gust, swirling the wrong way", got me too, and before it knew it, I was hopelessly in, way too deep to get out. But still, I was only dealing with a moderately priced (SLK) delta. Hearing about loosing a B-Pro really gives me a sick feeling in the gut........... :ani_wallbash:

:animal_rooster: Ooee, my local Fairgrounds, which is relatively close for a quick flight location, is lined with trees, I mean it is Oregon... So, I can relate to the cringing going on here...especially in unpredictable gusts from hell... cheers everybody... :cat_shocked:

I would not object chopping a tree like that down with my camp axe that resides in my truck.....

The golf course wouldn't think too highly of that..........although, I'd love to :cat_lol:

I was actually in my own yard, when I put the kite up, but the tree it lodged in, was on the golf course, which borders my property...........