flyguy

Rev Power Blast 4-8

37 posts in this topic

I just saw my next kite, the Revolution Power Blast 4-8 ... well I'm looking... :cat_wub:

Any of you Revolution Pilots have any advice? I would deeply appreciate your expertise. :gathering:

1 person likes this

Create Custom T-Shirts

Eager for a 2/4 myself.... There is one of each for sale on Craigslist in central Florida. As described.."new" condition rtf...lines and handles. Price seems fair. Credit card payment accepted...so shipping probably not an issue. I am always looking :)

It seems to be a rare commodity at least online... Is the difference between a 2/4, and a 4/8 only two meters? :animal_rooster: duh? I couldn't find true dimensions ... :ani_smoke:

Only thing I know is that both are usually used as traction engines for something like a buggy or landboard! I haven't seen many fly them for just flying them, if you know what I mean! Lots of power developed by them!!

Second Rev I picked for my self was this one, a PB 2-4.

post-7709-0-89846100-1381541404_thumb.jp

It's ten feet wide & very impressive parked on the ground & even more spectacular in the sky. It will make you smile every time you fly it. Seems much more rigid than the Rev 1.5 & Rev 1. Not for everyone I guess & it is pricey. I like mine very much but you have to enjoy power to like it. Here's a SLE & PB 2-4 together for size comparison.

post-7709-0-82489700-1381541421_thumb.jp

Doesn't look much bigger but wait till you fly one...Sort of like a big block 454 vs. a small block 350.

1 person likes this

If you ever need a babysitter for that....you know where to reach me :ani_whistling:

From the profile pic, i'm sure he has seen his share of power. I have only seen the 4/8 in a few light wind videos....but seems pretty darn big= loads of power. Actually there is one of someone flying a stack of 2 4/8 static. He looked pretty tired quickly, and hands were stuck in the 11-12oclock position.

Doesn't show the kites too much, but from the looks of it, they are at the top of the window and he is doing what he can just to hold it there.

Doesn't look much bigger but wait till you fly one...Sort of like a big block 454 vs. a small block 350. I guess than the 4/8 would be like a monster Truck... I like power too. Always like the work out... :ani_yahoo:

2 people like this

If you hold the SB 2-4 kite in a hover or make small moves, it does not have tremendous pull. When you accelerate across the window, then the power comes on strong. At the top of the window there can be considerable pull as the kite is still in the main wind. Off to the sides there is less just like any kite. A novice flier like me does well to take care in strong and/or gusty winds. A week ago an expert flier flew it with complete control in strong winds. I flew it a bit but as I got tired I started losing control. Knocked a vertical spar out & decided to stop before I broke it. Went back to fun with my 1.5B mid-vent. It's still a Rev so you have more control & fun as compared to a four line foil like the Snapshot 2.5 quad I also fly. Going to the beach soon & hope to enjoy some light wind scudding with the Power Blast. Some day I will have a 4-8 if I am fortunate. These big kites are not for everyone but fly one if you get the chance.

3 people like this

Thanks Dayhiker, the window analysis really gives a great mental picture... For a fact, with my Alpha foil 2.5, that reality, as you fly gives you a sense of where to be with action in the window... experiencing that as a novice has given me the same respect a sailboat would teach one, where to be on a given windy day, and how to set for the conditions.

Yes, I do notice when my stamina declines, my control goes the way of the DOE DOE bird. Good reason to bring several kites to interchange one out for another of less physical exertion, and more flying... sometimes where I fly on the coast we get intermittent gusts that can exceed(2or3X) the normal direction of the wind, from a new direction...that is when it can get real exciting with a larger kite. "When the Wind Windows Movin, kite will do the Chosen"...and Halaluyha... :ani_giveup:

2 people like this

You're most welcome Flyguy. My thoughts & feelings about kites in general continue to develop as I gain more experience. My longer kite sessions will last about four hours & I will fly four to eight different kites. I usually set up three sets of lines & switch around as conditions change. The inland conditions here in the Appalachians can vary greatly in that length of time. I guess if I would stay on one kite, or even one type, my skill would improve for that type. But I still want to fly them all so I'm slowly gaining skill across the range of kites I own. I may add more about the SB 2-4 as I fly it more. One thing I am currently learning is how to fly without so much fluttering. The lesson I'm learning is more brakes or in the case of the PB, a lower grip on the handles as I have not added tuning leaders. I will also add that the big kites have more inertia so you have to stop your turn inputs a bit sooner so as not to "over-steer". I do hope to get a kite buggy to play with someday but there are so many more kites I seem to need.

3 people like this

Just found out the other day.Someone is bringing a 2\4 for me to play with in early December :clap2: I have been waiting for this moment. If it is what i am imagining... :ani_whistling: I might just need another kite soon.

Very cool, I know you will, but give your rendition of the experience. :ani_victory: I too am in the market for one of these astir very low exposure kites :ani_wallbash:, even the information on the internet is limited. Will be looking forward to your dissertation . Right on :ani_yahoo:

Will do :) John has a video somewhere flying one of these with great precision.....as always. I can't wait...wouldn't be surprised if i never hand the handles back to the original owner :ani_whistling:

2 people like this

Radical seat of your pants... Cheers thanks for that video, Looking for a cart now too. Have a big runway on the beach just waiting to be run.

1 person likes this

Ok...I seem to have come home from the Rev clinic with a 2\4....lol. im sure there will be some video soon.:)

2 people like this

Couldn't stand it............eh ? :cat_lol:

1 person likes this

:cat_shifty: Yes, would be curious viewing some video of the 2-4 in action, leaving us in high anxiety of how well it went... :gathering: I think he liked it ...?

1 person likes this

Need to make some leaders...could not get comfortable on the handles. But WOW....I think my arms are an inch longer after a couple light wind sessions. :)

1 person likes this

Very interesting, I've even noticed on my small Volksquad the need for leaders, especially in higher wind. So, you think it would pull a trike quickly? Do you feel the comfort of the handles would make it undesirable being towed ? :ani_smoke: Just asking cause I'm considering one or the other.

My discomfort in the handles is with all Revs so far..... and JB sort of confirmed it by saying what I was thinking."Throw about 6" of brake in it" This puts my hands and wrist in a more comfortable and less strenuous (?) Position. I'm sure thise will pull a buggy np ... I have never done this, but in a light wind .. I was powering 8's through the window low to the ground with a very braced foot and flying position with lean. It was strong. Inwill try to take it for a spin on camera if thenwind is not too strong soon

1 person likes this

Some shots from the low wind session today..low to mid single digits, but will still wear you out. A couple of short videos to upload ...I will post laterpost-7551-0-38485500-1387244954_thumb.jppost-7551-0-74058100-1387244978_thumb.jppost-7551-0-99238300-1387245036_thumb.jp Thanks to Oats for snapping a few for me...

2 people like this

:ani_whistling:

2 people like this

post-7551-0-83003800-1389829181_thumb.jp Getting it on in about 5 to 8 mph today. Long leader setup like a normal rev. Yeeeeeeehaaaaaawwww!
7 people like this

Nice. I love a good stretch of the arms once in a while. I have a 4m foil for lsndboarding and I've spent hours and hours learning how to control it.

It was fun..right on the verge of scudding. If it had been grass or hard packed. I would have gone for a ride for sure. My friend was waiting camera in hand for a "youtube" moment...lol

1 person likes this