KiteLife Forum

First Rev, What To Buy?

Nick Russell

Though I won a Supersonic in a karma drawing a few weeks ago, I believe it is too much kite to start out on. So I'm trying to choose my first Rev.

I'm leaning toward a 1.5 SLE, but can't decide between it or a B series. Or vented. Or which lines to get. Or where to get it?

Will I outgrow a standard 1.5 too soon? Should I spend the extra money for a B series with the extra rods?

I get confused looking online because some shops have complete sets (kite, lines, handles, etc) and others like The Kitte Shop have the kite but lines are separate. The KIte Connection lists both kites only and kites with an accessory package that includes lines, handles, etc. My head's spinning. My only experience actually flying a Rev was a quick intro Jynx gave me at Long Beach.

I started with an EXP. The price is the cheapest and it's RTF. A lot of folks will say skip that step...but in all honesty for me, I still fly it! It's a great starting point to learn and beat up upon. Then when you feel ready for the great B, you are more skilled and in control, hence less wear and tear on the sail and it will last much longer.

In the end....it is what makes you happy ...so get whichever feels right. You will have them all eventually ;)

• Like 1

Hi Nick, congrats on the win! To further expand on Scott's post above me, I will add: If you can afford to own multiple kites, start with the EXP. You'll outgrow it one day, sure, but you'll undoubtedly come across onlookers that ask, "Hey, can I try that?" With your old EXP kicking around in the kite bag, you've got a rough-and-tumble tutor ready to go at a moment's notice as you fly your new B Series along side them showing them what it should look like when it's working.

The only thing better than kite flying, is kite flying with friends!

Chris

• Like 2

Congrats on your win! It sounds like you may have caught the bug already! If you have the cash, the B-Series is a great step in. In my opinion, getting a full sail B meets you where you are at, and will keep you challenged - lots of room to grow into. The B's also come with 2/3wrap or 3/4wrap LE and handles with extended leaders - these are great features and add value to a great kite.

The next buy might be a vented or mid vent and then complete the set! ;)

I have found that I prefer the B's and that is what I grab first.

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your input. As it turns out, the decision was already made but I didn't know it. My 61st birthday was last week and my wife ordered a black & electric blue 1.5 SLE, which will be waiting for me when we get to my daughter's house in a few days. That's just one of the reasons I love that lady!

• Like 3