KiteLife Forum

After Midnite.......

mystainedskin

Tonite was the nite.... I paced all night at work and could hardly sit still. I knew that just on the otherside of that door in front of me, the wind was pumping....and it was prime B2 Vented time.

Finally the time came and I rushed to a large field in front of our Jax Beach Amphitheatre. Thunderbirds...a popular concert venue had some live music pumping...the wind was 12/15 with some stronger gust occasionally. I grabbed the kite,2 sets of lines(30'&50'*50#) and 2 sets of handles(9"&11"). The 50' happened to be on the larger handles ....so away we went. I unrolled ,hooked up the kite....and with no hesitation, stood up and threw it. Ooooooooowwwwwweeeeeee! It reached the line length quick and popped up ready! A quick lap around the window and I couldn't resist....... An axel off to each side. After an hour of grinning and flying 2' of a1a or 1st street....had some onlookers and police hanging around, so I wrapped it up before bar closing time.

Thanks again to KiteLife for the chance to have won this kite and providing me with the endless knowledge on how to fly it...... Only 1 picture. I don't like setting my camera down at nite in that environment. Get some video before too long.

post-7551-0-58672600-1382768482_thumb.jp

post-7551-0-31893800-1382768500_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Being my first vented....I'm amazed. I have read many descriptions here of how it reacts,but there is nothing like hands on. The wind was pretty much straight onshore and not real smooth. The spot were i was flying is right on the ocean and the wind ramps up over the dunes.....never would have known it with the vented. Absolute joy! Can't wait for few more in various sizes!

• Like 2

So awesome, glad it's working out for ya Scott - fly it like you stole it! :)

Don't say that while flying at night! Don't wanna give the wrong impression.

Great to be able to fly at night. I can see why you wanted to fly on short lines.

• Like 2

post-7551-0-91192300-1383106189_thumb.jp Today was the daylight run. Mid 70's ene@15 some 50lbx50' lpg and a 4 wrap frame. Thought the 3 was in, but my mistake. i I did break a line today, so there was a little adjusting after a blood knot and some knots in the leader. Got it pretty close and flew the rest of the day without having to grab another set. I traveled light today and roamed a 14 block stretch throughout the afternoon.

and some video if you feel like it. Unedited no music.... 5 hours on the beach today and I just couldn't put it down :)
  • Like 2

Very nice!

Have you run that clip through an anti-jitter filter to smooth it out? I notice at times (mainly when the kite fills most of the screen) that the rest of the scene seems to morph around it. A pretty cool effect but not one I think you'd get without post processing the video.

I've been looking for something I can run kite captured videos though to get rid of the jiggle. Thanks

• Like 1

Very nice!Have you run that clip through an anti-jitter filter to smooth it out? I notice at times (mainly when the kite fills most of the screen) that the rest of the scene seems to morph around it. A pretty cool effect but not one I think you'd get without post processing the video.I've been looking for something I can run kite captured videos though to get rid of the jiggle. Thanks
whatever boobtube uses for jitters is all I used. I noticed that also as the kite goes towards the camera. It's the first time I have used that camera...the wife... I drug mine through the sugar sand and fried the lens motors.. :). It appears to be a focus issue...maybe a flaw in the camera. I will watch for more in the future. Thanks all for the compliments......I'm still a rookie.
  • Like 1

No, I really liked the video. I was so impressed with the flying that I only noticed that one warp in the beginning. I don't think I could control the little kite that well, or probably any quad line. You gave me some stuff to work on, Thanks !

• Like 2

I still over control on the smaller sails. Hence the leading edge meeting the ground a few times. The B2 is a real joy. The sail is a little taller than a Rev 2 and I suspect that makes quite a difference. I can not fly the rev2 that way. Mine is old and worn out...havnt tried the new hot yellow one....its brand new. I truly think its just as many have said...time on the lines. I guess I do fly a lot compared to most...in all conditions. But I continually see improvements...so its hard to not fly every chance I get. #1 it keeps me from going ballistic! Life has been so much better since I started flying and bringing real joy to myself.

• Like 3

Dial in a heap of brake for your B2. I put an extra couple of knots compared to my 1.5's. One time I ran out of leader knots so quickly added some bottom leaders from another set of handles to the tops. The wind was really cooking that day!

• Like 1

I used the same settings on either size sail.. I have tried other ways and this works for me. When I started. I had leaders that touched the bottom of the handle (11" gap) and I flew everything all the way out. I have since moved in about 2". Flew the Rev 1 today with the same setup... I do give and take a little for wind speed though.

• Like 1

Yep, sorry. I forgot to say I use the 11" handles with it.

I'm a big believer in "use what works for you"! As I only have the Standard sail B2 I need to move my leaders in and out a bit.

Funny story about over controlling,

I pulled up at my local oval about 2am and blindly grabbed my gear to fly my B2. The wind was high teens in mph, and I mistakenly grabbed my 15" handles to fly it on my 30' lines! Wow, talk about twitchy! Great fun but I'm a little more careful as I felt like I'd had a couple of Red Bulls after.

• Like 1

I forgot too :ani_whistling: I run alot of brake. Pretty close to the handle w/2 knots about an inch apart from one another. I actually think it was a stock rev leader with an extra knot...and I do the whole clip removal deal w/ a larks head on the screw(makes it even shorter)

Only 2 people have used my setup that actually fly revs...both suggested I had a whole bunch of WHOA going on :g: