Captainbob

Skyburner Niknak

9 posts in this topic

Just got a new Niknak yesterday, and when the wind dropped off this afternoon and was too low to fly my Rev 1.5 Std with Race Rod, I got out the Niknak. My other low wind Kite is a Prism 4D. The first thing I noticed about the Niknak, is that it is much larger ( 78" ) than the 4D' s (58") . The fittings that the spreaders fit into are much more substantial, and the entire kite has a rugged appearance especially for an Ultralite kite, much more so, than the 4D. The Niknak was shipped with 100# 75' lines, and I wondered how it would be to fly with that heavy a line, but with about a 2-3 mph wind, it launched quickly and easily , and flew right to the top of the window. The kite is a great kite for flying around, which is what I was looking for. I am not into tricks, but more into flying nice patterns, and this kite is right at home with that kind of flying. It is made in the USA, the entire kite looks like a quality product. I wanted a kite with some red in it, so they made one for me with that color. Just like getting a custom kite. I can see that I will fly this kite often, in the winds that we have in Atlanta, and enjoy every minute of it. It almost seems like it flies itself, in low winds. I now look forward to the lower end of the wind spectrum, rather than dreading it. There are two battens that go in the wings, that are about 5 " long. To make sure I don't loose these, since they are very thin, I put them in a small baggie when I break the kite down, and strap them to the line winder, which goes in the kite bag. The kite comes with a nice long bag, that allows the kite to be placed in the bag without having to break the leading edges down.

http://www.skyburner.com/niknak.html

post-8031-0-13141300-1396751599_thumb.jp

2 people like this

Create Custom T-Shirts

Nice review.

When the wind is REALLY low, use the lines that came with your 4D. I'm glad the NikNak met or exceeded your expectations. Not that you could go wrong buying a Skyburner kite !

BTW... I never measured my 4D, but I don't believe the factory claim that it's 58". I think it's more like the size of the 3D, around 48"...

This is my indoor kite. Thanks for the article.

When the wind is REALLY low, use the lines that came with your 4D. I'm glad the NikNak met or exceeded your expectations. Not that you could go wrong buying a Skyburner kite !

BTW... I never measured my 4D, but I don't believe the factory claim that it's 58". I think it's more like the size of the 3D, around 48"...

I just measure the 4D, and it is 58". The Niknak just looks so much bigger, even on lines that are 30 feet longer that the 4D 50 foot lines.

Jon T really knows how to build a great kite and his customer service is exceptional. He helped me a couple of times when i was looking for new kites. Always happy to buy out Made in America

Jon T really knows how to build a great kite and his customer service is exceptional. He helped me a couple of times when i was looking for new kites. Always happy to buy out Made in America

I called them when I ordered the Niknak, as instructed to do on their website, to find out what colors were available. They had none in stock at the time, and said it would be 3+ weeks to get some new ones made up. They asked me what colors I would like, which I thought was really cool. The lady I spoke to on the phone was extremely courteous. The Niknak was delivered in a shade over two weeks. I flew it again today for about 1 1/2 hours, and it is so easy to fly, it even makes me look like I know what I'm doing...;)

2 people like this

been lying my Niknak for almost 3 weeks, and it is now my most flied kite , due mostly to wind conditions, and it being the kite I own that I can almost always put in the air and fly around. I have not flown my 4D since I got the Niknak, and probably will just keep it as a backup low wind kite, if the Niknak is down for some reason. The Niknak flies so much more like a stunt kite, compared to the 4D which is very twitchy, and not smooth at all. I would advise anyone looking for a really low wind kite, to seriously consider spending $30 more and getting a bigger kite that you will enjoy flying for many years, the Niknak.

1 person likes this

Nice Niknak video Love flying mine just the way this flyer flew his in the video. It's now my most used kite, cause I am almost always able to fly it in Atlanta winds.