KiteLife Forum

Best quad line for low wind?

imranipatel

The lightest line commonly used is 50-lb Laser Pro Gold. However, if the kite is very heavy, it may not be enough to just use light line. You must have the right combination of line, kite and wind. In wind less than 2mph, I normally fly 50-lb line attached to a kite of less than 4-ounces, with the line length at less than 80 feet. The kite must be able to lift its own weight and the weight of the line. Shorter lines will create less drag also, and keep the kite moving well.

+1 on the #50. The other thing you can do is use shorter lengths in light wind. I don't have any quad sets in #50 but I do have shorter sets of #90. 30 and 50 foot lengths see quite a bit of use when the wind drops.

I also train some kites together too...

I only fly 50# line at 100 or 120 feet, anything shorter than that reach is within the domain of 3D moves and then it's time for 90# line so it doesn't tangle with acres of slack draggin' on the ground. Indoors I use 90#

A light frame and a set of longer throw handles help a lot with no/low wind

tune your lines and handles BEFORE affixing to the kite, insuring they align perfectly from a well-placed stake.

The Zen loves long lines, an SUL pro B-series is excellent flying wing in challenging conditions as well

The indoor Rev and I never connected together

There's a new prototype being whispered about recently, "Helium" is the name I recall. A bridled 1.5 that is completely indoor worthy without the indoor design configuration that feels so unnatural. You just take it outside and keep right on flying!

The single thickness/printed kites are also easier in low wind

hours of practice can not be acquired on a visa card

I'd also add sticks and fiddle with the bridle, but those are just preferences

If you want to fly in no wind, try it without a bridle at all, but you'll need some long-throws if you want to flail around significantly. Just add a leader on the down spar end caps, you don't have to remove the existing bridle to test it.

• Like 4

I agree using longer handles for light winds! And in my experience, the Zen does just fine on 50' lines, but does work well on 120's too! I have tried shorter sets, but didn't really like the way it felt! :ani_wallbash:

An SUL Pro sail is a custom (special order) item, not many other than Paul ask for! The magic sticks and french bridle are also his personal choices. You may like them or not, that's something that he has found over time that he likes to use. The same with the new "diamond" rods, lighter, different flex, over some of the other rod types available! Nice in light wind for sure! :ani_yahoo:

But he's also correct that all the money in this world won't teach you how to handle light wind!! Takes time in those conditions to learn the techniques for successful flight!! It doesn't hurt to have the "right equipment" , but that alone isn't the key! The kite won't fly itself! :ani_giveup:

Remember - There is no substitute for "Time on the Lines"!! :ani_idea:

Light wind can be horribly discouraging. The key is practice your technique. Watch a few tutorials, apply when you fly. You can fly a Vented kite in low winds if you have sound technique. Long legs help though....

HA! Low wind king?

NO, but a lot of hours when others would go home because of the conditions YES,

probably 10 hours per week for twenty years

Locally? about five months out of any calendar year we fly with indoor conditions and an unlimited ceiling.

If we get a steady 5 mph breeze the schools would be closed for a week due to dangerous weather!

I prefer a dead calm, early in the morning as ideal flight time. It's my moment of connection to nature as the sun rises.

One secret is a big dose of "down" in the tuning, so the sail is square to the wind and receives maximum pressure. Adding forward drive is just bleeding that pressure off of the trailing edge, counterproductive! You have to move physically too (but certainly not run) and using the glide whenever possible to recover your field is imperative.

• Like 2