KiteLife Forum

Inland Winds- the Norm.

Captainbob

I have been flying kites for about 4 months now and I am realizing that having decent winds to fly in, is not the norm where I live inland. Since I am semi-retired, I can fly at least 5 days a week, but the time I actually get to fly in even a marginal wind conditions is a bit over 1 day a week if I am lucky. It is a rare week when I can fly 2 days. Now I am not talking about flying only a standard kite, I am including my Niknak, which is probably my most often flown kite for the past couple of months ( replacing my 4D) , followed by my Std Rev with Race Rods or my Zephyr. It is a pretty rare day when i can fly my Mid Vent B series, and I think last month, I flew it maybe twice. Thank goodness I didn't bother getting a full vent, it would have made a great wall ornament in my living room. I have flown my HQ Symphony 1.8 once in the last 3 months.

When I first got into kiting I tried to get kites that would cover the gamut from a very low wind up to a bit over 20 mph. Now after experiencing the wind conditions where I live, I think a better route would have been to only get UL and SUL kites, and maybe one standard Rev or full size Dualie , and when it is over 20 mph, just sit it out. I guess I can see how discouraging the wind problem would be for someone that has a full time job, which only leaves the weekend to fly, especially if they are a newbie. In the last 2 weeks, I have only been able to fly 2 days, and this weekend looks like a dud too, with winds at the airport forecast for 2-3 mph which translates to dead calm on most of the fields.

Wondering if other inland fliers share these experiences.

• Like 2

The wind never seems to cooperate. That's why you fill out the bag.

We've actually been having some really nice winds. Consistently 9mph to the upper teens. Getting plenty of use with my vented, but I know there will be plenty of days in the high Summer where I'm going to need that SUL. Here in the plains we get those variable winds. GA may be different.

• Like 1

Maybe get a Wala or something in that style.for those days with almost no wind! The Wala is built like a tank, but can be used in or out, depending on how it's setup. It can be a simple SLK with tail either run long or looped tip to tip. Or you can set it up as a glider and still get out and fly! I have one of them and an Urban Ninja that I use on days with less than Zen winds! I like the Ninja, it's an active flier, so it appeals to the Rev flier in me. Not a set and forget type, you must fly it at all times! Cross between glider and fighter, lets it use light winds, but highly steerable! Horvath gets good money for a factory one, I got mine made for me locally. He also sells kits with what looks like everything needed but the fabric and some line?

Might consider adding to your bag??

I have one word for you. Gliders. I carry my zero wind kites to the field for times like that. Sometimes I wish there wasn't so much wind. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the glider thing for awhile, and just couldn't get interested in it. Reminded me of my SLK days when I was a kid, which held my attention for a couple of hours. Love flying my dualies and Revs when the wind cooperates.

I'm inland too so I know the frustration. But! We get this kick arse easterly as it roars down the escarpment on its way to the coast!

In the last month or so I've been on my dual UL, Rev SUL or Indoor. And to be honest, loving the light to zero conditions.

With flying your Revs, have you considered stacking them? A mid and std are a really nice, smooth pair. If you have wind for a std, try them both. Pulls a crowd too.

Try a shorter line set too. 30 footers for your Rev.

The skills developed in light conditions are worth gold. You'll see and feel them the next time you get a good breeze.

• Like 1

I understand inland-wind frustrations as well. Las Vegas is high elevation (>2000ft), and is situated in a valley with mountain ranges bordering 3 sides of the city. The wind up here is comprised of thin, heated air (thermals) and nasty gusty swirly junk. Now that summer is approaching, the high pressure systems will settle in above us and stifle any breeze that might have been... It can be frustrating. The inconsistent winds have driven me away from dualie trick kites, and over to the Rev, where I can make the best out of any wind situation.

Patience and perseverance are my recommendations. As long as you are physically capable, keep at it and keep on keepin' on. Light wind flying is a skill you must cultivate.

• Like 2

I just reconciled myself to the fact that my legs have to be the most important tool in my flying arsenal. Now, even when I have a decent breeze I don't stand still. I am always moving. It has become part of my flying rhythm. I flew yesterday in this frustrating, light to nothing, hot wind. I ended up with the kite flying in three different directions over the course of the session, sweating, walking all over the field, and had a blast. What makes inland flying (and getting competent at inland flying) so great is how awesome you can fly when you are at a beach with a steady, clean breeze of any speed coming from off of the ocean.

• Like 5

...If you ever get to a beach.

Lived 250 feet from the Atlantic Ocean, in Hollywood Florida for 10 years, but was flying Cessnas and Pipers back then rather than kites.

.... geez!! What size line did they need....

• Like 4

Livin the KiteLife in the mountains of Virginia here. Valley floor at 2,460 feet with a mountain rising to 5,726 nearby. Lots of trees live here too. Confusing gusty intermittent winds are the rule. Best flying conditions are fall & winter. But the force has become strong & I persist in my flailing efforts. Skills have picked up about as fast as can be hoped for especially since I work two jobs. I relate to the comments of all. Just returned from a nine day visit to my closest beach, 340 miles distant. Also home of my "local kite store". Flew over twenty different kites while camped on the shore. Wind blew night & day with the only lulls coming during rainstorms. Flew all my high wind kites & was glad I had them. Wished for a light wind day so I could fly the Zen but it did not come. Flew SUL kites while in parking lots during shopping conditions. It all seemed too easy somehow. Thank you inland winds, you're a tough master but the lessons paid off.

• Like 4

agreed, beach winds are vastly superior in every way, but just as likely to spoil you too! I know of champions who chose to give up their turns because of wind conditions. That doesn't happen with enough time inland on the lines.

There are no bad flying conditions, just a poorly equipped kiter complaining

• Like 4

I must agree with that one 100%.

Paul is one of the few people I have met that will fly anytime.

A recent proof was in KFL..it started raining and wind died...everyone took cover...except him. He borrowed a rain suit, long lines and a Zen and went at it... ;)

• Like 2

Pleasant surprise this morning. Got up, checked the local winds 15-17 mph. Grabbed some breakfast, and walked to the field. Have to work today so I just took the Widow NG. What a pleasure to have strong winds, set kite up, put the tail weight in, stood it up to launch, and away it went Flew for about 45 minutes. with some really high speed passes about 1-2 feet AGL. Love this kite, tracks straight as an arrow. Anyway, the gusts started getting stronger and stronger , so I stayed at the windows edge for awhile, and then it really started gusting, so I called it quits for the day. I have to get ready for work otherwise I would have waited for the winds to mellow out a bit. Wishing for a few more days like today, when I am off.

• Like 2

One of my favorite kite memories. Those were the only 2 kites in the air. Although I have no doubt that, if they had wanted, Paul and Paul could have been there right next to us.

I will never live that one down..have since been told "who" the other person was..oh my. Insert foot now.....

It was fun indeed sir.. ;)

• Like 2

Agree with everything here, especially about being well-equipped. Ironically enough, I live in the "Ocean State" but about as far inland as you can get (so instead of Rhode Island, it is Rhode In-land). And the wind gods are cruel here as well. For the last month I have been stuck indoors studying for a test watching really nice breezes we get this time of year. Now that I have taken the test, right on cue, the summer doll-drums have set in. But...I took Hadge's advice from a while back, and made a set of 30' and 20' lines, and managed to get in an hour today in some really squirrely light winds on lunch break. If I had tried the original 50' lines, the kite (4D) would have stalled out right after launch. So thanks to poster's here, I had the right equipment making it possible to get in some much needed flying time. And I can't wait to get to a beach with steady winds and show off the new skills (as limited as they may be :).

• Like 4