KiteLife Forum

Best dual line for backyard flying near trees

imranipatel

I think the 4d would be the only real choice... let me take that back. In my backyard, the 4d would be the only choice because the yard is small and the kite is small. A full sized kite on short lines just wouldn't do it for me. Also, since the 4d works for indoor conditions, it would work well in my backyard. I usually fly a glider in the backyard if I have the sudden need to fly.

Now, your backyard maybe 50 acres and you could get away with a full sized setup, I don't know...

I'm guessing nothing, if you're new to flying. Remember, it's all about wind and the more turbulence caused by structures and trees makes it worse. Your only choice would be short line flying similar to indoor. And I haven't even gotten to the trees yet.

Dual line flying needs more room to do tricks because you need to walk to and fro to give and take up slack line. As a new flier your best bet is to go out to an open field and get the best wind you can to start then think about backyard flying. I live at the very edge of the suburbs and I don't even have enough room to fly.

Well... you would certainly be better off with a Glider, but... the 4D is going to be the easiest available cheapest answer to your need to fly right out the back door if you insist on flying a duallie. If you're dead-set on flying a duallie, 15'-20' lines are what you'll need to fly the 4D. That & a lot of patience... remember, deep breaths & smooth, big arm sweeps.