KiteLife Forum

First serious freestyle kite

ofted42

Man, all this info has made this harder, not easier. So many good choices out there. The more I look into Skyburner, the more I like their kites, but the Solus is just too rich for my blood. I'm actually seriously thinking about the freestylist at this point, seems like a really good kite for the money. the widowmaker looks great too, but again the price is pretty high. Maybe I'll draw one out of a hat and go with that, seems like it's hard to go wrong with any of them. Thanks again for the input everyone.

My Solus is a kite that I have had to warm up to. It loves to tip wrap on a 540 if your timing is off and feels like a flying jackhammer in gusty wind. But, the more I fly it, the better I kind of like it. Come to think of it, another great kite out there ideal for learning freestyle is Will Sturdy's Saber III. Google that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there are some pretty ones. Probably dumb, but the ones I'm looking at seriously aren't great looking to me, which is holding me back. Should care more about how it flies. So after all this feedback I'm thinking:

Skyburner Ocius

Skyburner Widowmaker (pricey)

Kymera

Sturdy Impulse (pricey)

Premier Widow

Prism Zephyr

Flying Wings Soul

So now I have a harder decision to make. I'm really tempted by the widowmaker, but that's a good chunk of change.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have some thinking to do.

I wouldn't look at pricey too much, $300 broken down in a years times comes out to $5.77 per week needed to save for the pricey kite next year. Many people have junk in their basements or attics that can fit on a table on the front lawn with a LAWN SALE sign next to it that would add up to $300. Extra job for 40 hours this week would buy the pricey kite next week. Mow my lawn for the month of July with my mower and gas, I'll buy you any kite you listed. :)

• Like 4

If I had to choose one kite that I could keep out of all of the kites in my bag, it would be the Widow Maker. Not to say I don't like the Solus, I do, and have a hard time choosing which kite to fly whenever I get out. The Widow Maker would be the kite that could take you the furthest, though. It can do every trick in the book, fly precision, and is VERY forgiving. Not to mention tough as nails and a work of art as far as build quality.

A cheaper kite becomes more expensive when you realize 6 months down the road that you need a better kite...

• Like 1

There is always plan B. I actually have 3 Prism Zephyrs 1 used and 2 new. I will never fly them, I was thinking $75 for used and $130 for new. Seems like something you can try and if you don't like it you could sell, the difference in the buy and sell price you can call rent.

• Like 1

Mow my lawn for the month of July with my mower and gas, I'll buy you any kite you listed. :)

I'll be there 6 am Saturday, plus we can fly in the afternoon.

Jump on that used Zephyr immediately, before he comes to his senses!

• Like 1

Well, took the plunge yesterday and ordered a widowmaker and 75' lineset for it. Now I'll be checking the front door every day until it gets here. Might still have to pick up that zephyr though...

Thanks everyone for all the input, it really helped! I'll report back once I get her and see how she goes.

• Like 3

Yeah, there are some pretty ones. Probably dumb, but the ones I'm looking at seriously aren't great looking to me, which is holding me back. Should care more about how it flies. So after all this feedback I'm thinking:

Skyburner Ocius

Skyburner Widowmaker (pricey)

Kymera

Sturdy Impulse (pricey)

Premier Widow

Prism Zephyr

Flying Wings Soul

So now I have a harder decision to make. I'm really tempted by the widowmaker, but that's a good chunk of change.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have some thinking to do.

I bought the new Widow NG a couple of months ago after reading some good reviews on it comparing it favorably to the Widow maker, especially when factoring in the cost which is about 1/2 the price of the Widow Maker, and of course it is designed by the same person. I love the way it flies, and is built very well. I'm not into tricks, but leaning more towards precision flying, and the NG is a blast to fly. http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5948-premier-widow-ng/

Bob, just wait for the day you get your hands on a Widow Maker. I will be very interested to hear your comparison then. I think Ofted42 made a great choice...

Hope it shows up soon !

Bob, just wait for the day you get your hands on a Widow Maker. I will be very interested to hear your comparison then. I think Ofted42 made a great choice...

Hope it shows up soon !

Well to quote John Chilese on his review of the Widow NG " I flew the prototype at Huntington Beach with Jon. We were both impressed with the overall feel, flight and tricks of this attractive, full-sized kite. For the price, it's hard to beat. John Chilese" Being on a somewhat limited retirement budget, that convinced me. But then again, I drive Toyota, and love that too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, got the widowmaker on Saturday and put it together. What a difference from the Quantum I've been using! Even when something is expensive, I've been used to having to tweak some things, maybe fix some small things. Not with this kite! The knots for tensioning the tips were in the perfect place, the stitching looks immaculate, and the spars and rods in the sail fit together so smoothly it's almost unbelievable. Nice to see a place that really takes pride in what they do and takes care of the little details. Now if I can just get some time when it's not rainy, still, or there aren't kids needing to be carted around, I can actually try it.

The one thing I was a bit disappointed in was the bag that it came in. Spending this much on a kite, I would expect something a bit nicer than a rough nylon tube with some velcro crudely stitched on the end. I really like the way prism and flying wings do theirs. Still, small nitpick, and the bag doesn't affect how the kite flies anyway.

The bag is the least of my worries when I buy a kite. I prefer that the manufacturer puts the extra labor and materials into making the kite better. For all practical purposes I can buy a sleeve of some kind to keep it in. Sometimes I wonder what percentage of the price I pay for the really fancy bag.

True, that's why I mentioned that it was a small nitpick. I was thinking the same thing about what percentage of the price goes into the bag vs the kite. I'm sure the kite will be fantastic once I get to try it.

Speaking of bags, I really like the look of the Prism Speedbag to start storing my kites, but can't find one in stock anywhere. Were they discontinued? Anyone know where a person can pick one up?

I've seen a few Speedbags for sale, both on other forums (GWTW) and eBay.

And yeah... isn't that Widow Maker an incredible thing to hold in your hands ? Totally worth the price of admission, and just wait until you see how it flies !

Finally found a place that had a speedbag in stock. I agree with you cajun, if they had to charge a bit more it'd be nice to have a good bag. Maybe they figure at this level people are going to have their own bags to put them in and they figure it's a waste to make a nice one for it.

Better hold off on the kite stuff now, if my wife knew what I spent on the kite and bag I think she'd stick the kite somewhere very uncomfortable.

Well, finally got to take it out yesterday. Wind was probably around 4-6 mph, which is light, but I've seen widowmakers fly fairly well light winds. I noticed a few things once I got it airborne.

• when the wind would lighten up then catch the kite again, it would do a sort of "bounce" or "pulse" on the lines, like it was catching and losing the wind. Kind of a light jerky pull over and over. Never had my quantum do that, so I figured it might be adjusted for heavier winds
  • After moving the nose toward me by moving the bridle knot up about 1/2" it helped, but still seemed very passive and bouncy
  • I'd heard so much about the responsiveness of the widowmaker I was surprised when all I could get were very slow lazy turns no matter how aggressive I tried to make them. My Quantum will turn on a dime.
  • I seem to have a big problem with oversteer. I thought maybe it was the quantum, but the widowmaker was doing it too. I'll try and do a snap stall and it just keeps rotating. Worse when I try and do a turn at the edge of the window for a side slide, it overrotates and ends up going back the way it originally was. Seems to do it no matter how much I snap the opposite direction. That one's on me, but I figured the widowmaker would at least help

Since the wind was low I'll wait and see, but it didn't feel much different than my Quantum so far. In fact, dare I say it, I like how my Quantum feels better out of the two right now.

The point of all this is, any pointers on bridle adjustment, etc. would be much appreciated. The bouncing, jerking motion was very odd, almost like it was unstable in the air. I'm sure this'll be a great kite once I get used to it, but so far I'm somewhat stumped.

Thanks

I checked your post at the "other place", thanks for the suggestion ;) I e-mailed Jon and asked for some advice, it did seem odd to me that it seemed to fly worse than my Quantum. maybe I'll take a trip to the beach tonight and see how it goes with more consistent wind.

The bridle is definitely different than what I've seen up to now with the double adjustable knots and such. Looks like you can adjust this thing every which way but loose, and probably screw it up royally in the process!