KiteLife Forum

What is the expiration date for line?

NWFlyer

I'd like to get opinions, (just for my own curiosity) what is the shelf life of spectra or any other line for that matter.

Like to hear from the "regulars / Long time fliers" or anyone with an opinion? yes I know what they say about opinions BUT this is kite stuff :o)

Is there any way to tell if the line is still safe to use for the kite and others?

John

I don't think that Spectra has actually existed long enough yet for anyone to determine how long it will last before deteriorating without being used. I am still using an 80-foot set that I started out with six years ago. It is a bit "fuzzier" than it used to be, but still works.

I am nearly certain that you'll wear it out before it goes bad.

As long as it's sensibly stored - out of direct sunlight, avoiding excessive heat/humidity - it should store practically indefinately. Once you start using it, well thats a different story depending on brand- some lines wear much more quickly than others - I've heard of some pilots changing lines after as little as a 12-18 months! I have a set of Climax lines which are at least 5 years old ( I've had them 3 years and bought them used) and while faded are still fine. I've just bought some Scectra lines so time will tell.

The only real way of testing the actual strength of line is to break test a length of it with a big set of scales. Remember the poundage quoted is usually the minimum breaking strain.

If the line starts looking grey, secure it well to the winder, put it inside of a sock, and throw it in the machine with your wash. Skip the dryer, let it air dry. Comes out looking almost new, and should give you at least one extra twist before binding. I have also used silicone spray to make it slicker, but you have to let it dry COMPLETELY or it will pick up dirt really fast.

• Like 2

I like that, washing with the socks, pretty cool :ani_notworthy:

Note that you want to put it winder and all INTO a sock. The reason you put it inside a sock is so should it come loose from the winder it doesn't get tangled very badly, and the sock should be secured by tying it a tight knot to keep the line from coming out or secured with a heavy-duty rubber band or string.

Team flying presents a whole different perspective - we replace lines when they start to show real binding during wraps! Good spectra lines last a long time, but beach flying, team flying, can eat into the lifespan! :ani_idea: If you're flying either dualie or quad, look at how "fuzzy" the lines are! They tend to bind faster than newer lines!!

Thanks Wayne, I have noticed a kind of "ratcheting" feel when there are more than just a couple of wraps. Haven't noticed any fuzzy stuff though. I'm not at that team flying level either.

BTW how did Lincoln City go?

John

I guess I'll ask how many wraps?? Some lines are more sensitive than others when it comes to wrapping!

LC was a gas - plenty of wind Saturday, demos went well! Sunday started off light, no big stuff in the air, but my Zen pulled through and let me demo! Then the wind picked up and the team was able to demo, no problem!!

I stayed Monday and flew an X/V pretty much all day!! Delayed the PFD by at least a couple days! And flying with the rest of the team and some others on the 4th didn't hurt either!

PS: PFD = post festival depression

• Like 1

Sounds like LC was good. :ani_yahoo:

The "ratcheting" feel starts at about 3-4 wraps and gets noticeably worse after that esp if I add excessive wraps by trying to unwind the wrong way. :doh:

John

Are these new lines? if so they may need flying in a little as 3-4 wraps isn't much - my old Climax sets will take 20 + wraps before they even start to bind.

There is a lot of LaserPro Gold versus Skybond debate but the Skybond definitely handles the wraps better, slicker than LPG. I use and like both but Skybond handles the twists better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Climax lines that Hadge mentions are great lines to get a hold of. They are just as slick as Skybond, but they aren't as springy. My old Climax lines are faded from the sun, fuzzy from wear, but can still wrap 10-15 times before I feel much binding. When they were new, I wrapped them 25+ times before they started to get sticky.

I don't know if anyone sells them in the US, but shipping from Europe isn't that expensive for a lineset.

Are the Climax lines made of spectra? Do they play well with LPG?

Climax lines are made of Coramid which is a type of spectra type fibre

"Most climax sport kite lines are manufactured from CORAMID. CORAMID is a high quality brand fibre among others such as Dyneema or Spectra. CORAMID has the same basic characteristics as these (i.e. melting point) but performs better in all other areas.

climax® lines are different to conventional sport kite lines. A special braiding technique, through and through impregnation and a special polishing process give braided climax lines their unique characteristics. The fibres have a tighter alignment and line surface becomes smoother and harder. A tighter braid reduces line cross-section by more than 50%. This results in a minimum of wind resistance (drag), and forces acting on your climax kite line are distributed more evenly among the individual fibres."

They last very well, all of my line sets are at least 3 years old and still fine. I just bought a set of 80' x 110lb protec lines which cost £20 ( abound $30?) and I wouldn't think shipping would be too expensive. If you want the details of agood supplier send me a PM ( I don't know if I can put direct links on the forum).