KiteLife Forum

Bridles bridles bridles

Geoff

kind of after the fact...but been flying a coupla beetles for a few months now. Time to start fixing things that arent broken....OR ARE THEEEY????

I watch the pro's launch kites and have watched Dodd's video (everyday)....and I see everyone pull back and down on the lines to get thier sport kites up. I have to pull back and raise my arms to launch mine.

Are my bridles set correctly? Or is this just inherint in the Beetles?

Hi Geoff, that strikes me as kind of odd... Mainly because you are naturally able to move your hands further and faster past your hips than you would over your shoulders... Thusly creating more lift, and in a quicker fashion.

You can always experiment... If the bridles aren't marked where you hook the lines on, go ahead an make sure both sides are even, then mark 'em for an easy reset later... Having done this, try moving the "clips" up an 1/8" or 1/4" at a time so that the nose is pulled in towards you slightly.

Ideally, this would increase the lift a little.

Now, if it goes all soft on you and doesn't respond... Go ahead and move 'em 1/8" or 1/4" down, so that the nose lays back a little more.

If the kite just doesn't want to get off the ground and tends to oversteer (uncontrollable spin) too much, try working it out somewhere in the middle.

Also, it might be a good idea to make sure that all the fittings (where the spreaders go in) are all in the same place too... Sometimes after a lot of flying, the stoppers come loose and the wander around a bit.

Regardless, the kite and all it's parts should be identical on both sides.

Please let us know how it goes?

Also, what kind of wind speeds are you generally flying in?

Looks like John has given you the most thorough and best advice to follow. I have only one thing I can add when I fly my own Beetle 2100+. I pull both hands down and past my hips (what Dodd Gross calls the extended position), then bring them quickly together to the neutral position. As my hands are moving to that neutral position, I also take a step backwards to pull slack out of the lines.

Kitepilot

I usually fly in 8-15 winds (when we get them), so plenty of wind. Ive got the bridle set to the factory marks. And have occassionally 'played' with them. Im wonderig if it may be my 'technique' or lack there of. I've got my kite club this sunday, I'll get with the guys and have them take a look also. If they can get er up conventionally, then I know I need to work on motions.....

As my hands are moving to that neutral position, I also take a step backwards to pull slack out of the lines.

Good call Pilot... I knew I forgot something.

Indeed, take a deep step back as you launch (past the hips method). :devil:

Winds of 8-10 mph is typically plenty for a Beetle.

I thought I had plenty of wind...and I do take a step or back when I launch...I'll try this weekend and get to you on what I found.....

On a side note I got to fly a Pro Wren a few weeks ago and it was very natural to launch it with the hands down low. It literally jumped into the air that's what made me think it may be the bridle on the beetle. It doesnt seem to want to jump...of course that's the difference between a 45 dollar kite and a 250 dollar one, eh?