KiteLife Forum

San Francisco kiting

Craig Best

My son and dil recently moved to San Francisco. I'm looking forward to visiting and finding a place to fly our kites. My son lives just south of the Presidio. I thought I saw some recommendations about flying at Chrissy Field. Any other recommendations of places to fly?

FYI, my son has a Mighty Bug 1.5 and I likely will be flying a Symphony 2.2 or my Rev.

Ocean Beach. Lots of space, smooth wind off the ocean. Winds can be on the high side though, or they can be on the low side. I don't fly there frequently enough to know the typical weather patterns. I personally have not flown at Crissy Field. Hopefully others can chime in more.

If you make it across the bay, Cesar Chavez Park at the Berkeley Marina is also a popular kite flying spot. Sometimes there are enough people around for some impromptu Rev team flying.

• Like 1

I think this is what Joanna is referring to ocean beach. Where the star is. I have flown there once and it was excellent. 10-20mph and smooth. Not too far from the Presidio. But I bet you can find closer places. Let us know if you find any new ones. When are you coming out?

149wpj9.jpg

• Like 1

I'll add another recommendation for Ocean Beach when there's an onshore wind (which is usually the case). Lots of space and smooth winds. Crissy Field also has some nice open space for flying, but the wind can be pretty choppy.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This is a good reminder that I need to contact the administrators of kitemap.org. For a while now, it's been returning a php error message when you try to search. I keep forgetting to let them know. Hope it can get up and running again soon, since it's been a valuable resource.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm so late in following up! The trip was shortened by some unexpected work travel and we only got out to fly once. We went to Crissy Field. The Symphony 2.2 fit perfect in my luggage and it's the only one we flew. The winds were on the crazy strong level so the Symphony 2.2 was perfect. Top picture is me and my son is flying in the bottom picture. It was a great place to fly, obviously not crowded where we were. At one point, a golden retriever come running over and decided to chase the kite. I got a big thank you from the dog's owner for giving the dog such a work out.

WhoaNelly_zpse6c3ec1f.jpg

IMAG2490_zps08ea0e5c.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple short videos of the day....

This video clearly shows the effect of the strong wind and kite on the pilot. It's also fun to hear the kite screaming in the wind.

https://instagram.com/p/u4h9D_iwFr/

This video shows the dog chasing the kite. Near the end, I decided to fly the kite low over the dog and got too low to the ground. lol

https://instagram.com/p/u4iQqiCwGE/

• Like 1