KiteLife Forum

Revolution 1 from 1990 line questions?

mywindstuff

I picked up an old Rev 1 from 1990 from its original owner, has little of no fly time on it. My question or issue is, on the stock lines (no leaders) it will not launch of the ground in a seated up right position. If I attach the upper lines directly to the bridal (not the pigtail) on top and then pull in about 12" on top on the handle end , and point the bottoms directly to the kite I can get it to launch. So I made some leaders ,12 inch on top with a knot every 3/4 inch. And 6 inch on the bottom with the same knot spacing . I assumed this would give me enough adjustment to launch and have some extra adjustment. NOPE. I again had to bring the top lines all the way to the handles and attach the other end to the bridal without the use of the pigtail on the kite bridal. but also had to put my long leaders on the bottom and my short leaders on the top (handle end) again i could make it launch in about 8 mph wind. But what an extreme . was this older version that far off and that's what I am to expect? I read countless forum messages pertaining to similar settings that netted great results on newer models. This kite came with magic sticks which I did not install. Did this model need them for stiffness etc..?

So here's what I thought initially. That if the kite was straight up and down and my handles also were square to the kite, that by turning the bottoms of the handles towards the kite that this should in most cases be enough change in the kite angel to make it launch? But what I discovered was with this kite it wasn't even close to enough angle.

Yes sir. I tied them off to the same point and gave them all a pull probably not a half inch difference in any of them.

Well, if the lines are equalized, as you say, then I've got to expect the problem is in the bridle, itself. Could the previous owner have modified it in some way ? Maybe it is not a standard Rev I bridle. I've had and flown a Rev 1, but never experienced any unusual problems with launching (?). Maybe someone else, with more Rev I experience will chime in. What you are describing does sound strange, indeed............ :ani_victory:

I also suspect that the bridle may not be as it should. It would help very much if you posted pictures (close-up) of the kite hooked up to the pigtails with the lines taut, and the handles with lines attached, taut and at the same attitude as the picture of the kite.

Sounds like your top leaders are ok, a little too long! The bottoms = no leaders, just connect to the loops with hooks on your line set or put knot to knot leaders between the lineset loops and the bridle loops, but adjust the top bridle attach point 8" more than the bottoms,, then adjust your handle points as usual. No need for pics.

I still think photos would help us, to help you. Again, I'm just guessing (as are we all) without photos. I've never heard of putting the long leaders on the bottom of the handles. I believe the norm, is more like the other way around, as was your original set-up. Usually, you would have the longer leaders on the top, with very short leaders (maybe only a couple of inches), on the bottom. Most of us will fly with maybe 6 inches or more brake, than drive. My normal handle sets, have 12" to 13" knotted leaders on the top, while the bottom leaders are only about 3", with maybe two knots.

post-4670-0-41404300-1409226224_thumb.jp post-4670-0-85026600-1409226234_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Keep in mind, the old Rev 1's used line sets that was 8" longer on the top lines than the bottom lines. There was clips connected to the handle's 4 hog rings. If you add longer leaders to the bottoms you need to increase the tops that much more. The easiest thing to do is just add 8" to the loops on the top attachment points on the bridle, then use your handles as normal on the modern revs that use equalized line sets as well as the 1990 Rev1 that you have.

Hard to tell if anything is out of sorts, just seeing the individual sections. I really don't see anything that jumps right out at me, based on these pics. Could you possibly take a pic of the entire kite, in the horizontal position (top up), and let the bridle hang naturally, in front of the kite. Do try to position the bridle, so we can see it, and try to see that it hangs symmetrically, on each side of the kite. That might help us pick up on something strange............ :ani_victory:

OK, so tonight I laid out a set of lines from a new 1.5 Rev and compared them to my old Rev that I have been having difficulties with. The top lines were almost a foot longer than the bottoms so I shortened them to be equal , top to bottom, they are also 100 foot long. I think this to be my culprit in it not launching. Tomorrow I will fly it to see. Just wanted to share this info.

If true, then you might have an old style bridle too! Equalized lines won't solve the problem if this is true. If you use the equalized lines, I suggest getting a new style bridle to go with them! Easy enough to remove the old and install the new, I believe there is a video on the Rev forum explaining the swap!!

I suggest getting a new style bridle to go with them! Easy enough to remove the old and install the new, I believe there is a video on the Rev forum explaining the swap!!

A bridle change is carried out exactly the same as on a Rev 1.5, only the lengths are different !

Here is a link to some images I put on the Rev Forum earlier this year plus a pdf of Rev 1 dimensions.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/6173-bridle-images/

I hope it proves useful !

Bill

REV 1 BRIDLE LENGTH ONE.pdf

Are your flight lines equalized properly (all four lines the same length) ?

Yes sir. I tied them off to the same point and gave them all a pull probably not a half inch difference in any of them.

I'm a bit confused, now. I thought we had clearly established, that the lines were properly equalized, way back at the very beginning of this topic. How did two lines, all of a sudden get 12 inches longer ?

Also, as hyzakite mentioned, why not just hook up the lines from your 1.5 Rev, and give them a try. Lines are lines. They don't have to remain with the kite with which they were purchased, you just need to be aware of the length & strength of each set. Identify them.......... I've used the exact same set of 100' x 100# lines on a dozen different Revs, plus I made the set myself.

Good Luck.... :ani_victory:

Agreed on lines - I used only 50# and 90# in various lengths to fly every Rev in my bag!! I don't remember using my old 150# lines that came with my Rev 1, since I started back flying!! I've even used 50# on both my Zen and Rev 1 in low winds!!

If the Sedgwick has a new style bridle as mentioned, then any set of equalized lines should work with it!!

Just wondering, Why didn't you just take the lines from the new 1.5 and try them on the Rev 1? The pictures clearly show it's a modern bridle, no metal swivels looped into the bridle, and the Lee Sedgwick Rev1's all had modern bridles that I'm aware of.

. I didn't have the 1.5 at the time that I got the old Rev. So I wasn't able to do any comparisons. But with the new 1.5 it all makes some sense to me.

Are your flight lines equalized properly (all four lines the same length) ?

I'm a bit confused, now. I thought we had clearly established, that the lines were properly equalized, way back at the very beginning of this topic. How did two lines, all of a sudden get 12 inches longer ?

Also, as hyzakite mentioned, why not just hook up the lines from your 1.5 Rev, and give them a try. Lines are lines. They don't have to remain with the kite with which they were purchased, you just need to be aware of the length & strength of each set. Identify them.......... I've used the exact same set of 100' x 100# lines on a dozen different Revs, plus I made the set myself.I think the bridal is modern as already mentioned with the wrong style of lines , which explains why the original owner was unsuccessful , as he mentioned he only (tried) to fly it about four times. Raining here today so may not get to fly the old Rev. But I am anxious. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Good Luck.... :ani_victory:

I guess I wasn't clear on the equalized lines , I should have said that the tops were equal to each other and the bottoms were equal in length to each other. May have saved some confusion.

Flies like a champ! Was able to fly the old Rev today as the rains finally quit and everything went well. I'm not sure why the kite came with such an unequal set of lines , considering the bridal that is on the Rev. So thanks to all who chimed in , I learned a few things from the task.

• Like 1