KiteLife Forum

High Flying

Today I rolled out 500' of new line. Of which another spool was available, as I got 1000'.

So after watching my friend fly on 2 spools a few times....I figured why not.

We joined some Emerald Coast Kite Club members at Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine. Some Slk, dual and Rev pilots flying between us....but alot of Kap. 4000 pics this evening alone for me ;)

Back on track..... So I carried both spools out with me today. I guess subconsciously telling myelf I was gonna do it! I strolled around with my wife and photographed lifeguards and other kiters....the normal beach stuff...at about 200' and below. Then I took a high run all the way out. I turned and smiled to my better half when I reached the end of the line. She asked.... what?

I pulled the other spool out ..hooked it up...and let it run slack for about 250' over beach goers heads and then tensioned the line. Up the camera and kite soared to new heights. The highest I have ever flown with or without camera rig.

At one point..2 full spools out...1000' feet! Although the kite was riding in about the 700' range.

More story than pics this time....but here are 2 for "perspective" This is with about 750' of line out...maybe 675' in kite heighth. Gauged from a Rok flying next to me on a taught 500'.post-7551-0-06669200-1409558217_thumb.jppost-7551-0-98826600-1409558236_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Wow, I've never gone over 300-400 ft. ! Interesting perspective, I didn't see the Rok, though. I think it's pretty brave to let one spool pay out fully. Did I see that you got black line ? How do you like it ?

• Like 1

I'll grab some other pics shortly. I was uploading last night and needed something to do in the process :)

I got it for the black. Look better for longer. Although inspection of the line will be a little more tedious due to the dark color. I personally don't mind either color. One small fact to consider though. On a 1000' roll ....black is heavier by almost 3 ounces in this particular brand. Dye I assume. I have flown several times on it now and have no issues as of yet.

Actually, people tend to notice the kite and line a bit more than when I was flykng white. Guess they can see it better. I got 160# and a friend did also, along with 250#. So I am sure I will get feedback on both weights.

Sorry Bill, 12mp wide in these. I have been running 7mp wide and medium also.

I lost some 300# line to a knot last week, and was considering replacing it with the Gomberg black line. I kinda like the way you can see the white line in the pictures, though.

I have noticed in darker colored enviroments, the black tends to disappear and blend at higher elevations and anlged shots. But most of my runs are around evening time. Not as much glare on the line..I guess is what I was trying to say.