KiteLife Forum

Kite Flying Popularity

smoothwind

Hello All,

I wanted to start a discussion on the popularity of kite flying. In the spirit of full disclosure, my family and I recently started an online kite retailer, with my only shameless self-promotion link right here.

The topic of kite flying popularity has perplexed me since we moved towards starting our business. Nearly every single person that we told of our plans to sell kites has had the same first question – “why kites?”

The question has continued to fester in the back of my mind as the inquiries piled up. I knew why I chose kites and tried to convey the message as best I could to those around me. But this led me to other questions like why did kites come as such a surprise to the people that I know and why had those people either a) not noticed kites or B) not seen them around, period. Regarding this point, a friend of my wife’s made a statement that “no one” flies kites. Although since that day, she has since sent me a text message every time she has seen someone flying a kite – which has been pretty frequent.

I do believe that outside of certain communities such as this and perhaps some hot-spot beach areas, kite flying lacks popularity where it should not. Even the most basic single-line kite brings about a type of serenity, calmness and excitement all at once and stunt and power kiting have an unending and clear array of merits. The possible explanations that have come to my mind are as follows:

- Kite flying requires space – the backyard will not do and even your local park may not have adequate room

- Purchasing and assembling a kite can be intimidating to any new flier or parent thinking of acquiring a kite for their child

- Perhaps there is a wider perception that kite flying is simply grabbing a $5 plastic kite from the bin at Ace Hardware

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this topic.

I am excited to be a part of this forum and look forward to interacting with all of you.

Thanks,

Scott

If I may - I think the $5 analogy is closest! People don't understand the quality of a good, well made, sport kite! Or the associated costs of lines and straps. Take it further - Revs - The kite, frames, lines, handles, all cost. Many can't see how a line set can cost $100.00, or handles $50.00, or a kite at over $300.00. Not to say there isn't fun to be had with that $5.00 kite, but ask most Rev fliers and they've got close to $4-500.00 in their hands!! The average joe just doesn't see that coming, not to mention most of us have multiple kites!

I've collected my stuff over time, but putting a loose figure to it, I've probably got close to $3k wrapped up in kites, lines, handles, extra frames, and the bag itself! Most are intimidated by that figure!!

Good luck on your business!!

• Like 1

I like Wayne's thoughts on this. To take it a bit further, how often are those $5 kites flown in the proper conditions where the flights are successful? I would venture to say a small percentage fo the time.

I usually fly Revs and SLK,s on Dunstable Downs, that's on the other side of the pond, and it is a very popular place with family's for kite flying.

Every time I and others are flying we tend to notice a Mother, Father or Grandparents with their children struggling to fly their new kite. :ani_wallbash:

If it is a small diamond then usually it is the centre cross inverted, if it is a small delta or foil then they are usually trying to fly with very short lines and flailing all over the place.

A few minutes spent with them, setting up, frequently letting out and equalising lines, gets them flying. :clap2:

What makes it worth it is seeing the smiles on the kids faces as their kite soars into the air and that means they will be back for more sooner than later ! :ani_victory:

Bill

• Like 1

The most problematic I think is the conflict between line length and seeing the kite. How many times have we seen people with kites, but the line is not long enough and it swerves all over before crashing? At the same time, the cheap $5 kites are small and once you get 100' of line out you can't see it anymore? That's the conundrum I think most people can't figure out. They want a kite to fly great on 40' of line. Well, unless you're on the beach it isn't gonna fly very well. Especially the $5 kite.

Basic instruction helps a lot, but I try to avoid talking cost if I can before I sticker shock them on the kites we fly. Also, kites are great for parents and kids for an afternoon, but the allure quickly fades for most. Disseminating basic information as well as mentioning that advanced flying is a skill that develops would help a lot. I didn't pick up a golf club and go out on the course and play like Tiger Woods. Unfortunately most people don't think that it is a learned skill either.

• Like 1

Fascinating stuff so far, guys. Tmadz, your point about not viewing it as a progressive activity is very interesting. So, you're saying that once a family flies a basic single line kite, they think that's it and every other kite would be the same experience?

Love the comparison to golf and have definitely met tons of people that believe hitting that little white ball should happen naturally from day one. Does anyone think that it is at a reasonably sufficient popularity level?

• Like 1

Unfortunately just too expensive for most! When I played back in the late '80s, early '90s, greens fees were in the $10 - $15 dollar range. Now many of the same places are double or more that much! Equipment too has taken a huge leap in cost! So what was once affordable has now outpriced itself and become exclusive!!

What used to be a day long $25 - $30 event is now at least $50 or more!!

The wind blows for free!!

• Like 2

Years ago there was a kite store in my part of town. Now there isn't one in the city. The only kites for sale that most people will see are the $3 'Hello Kitty' kites at Walmart. For the infrequent flier, they don't need anything else. I started out the same way and got frustrated with the $3 kite was ruined when I opened it or after flying for a few minutes. That prompted me to look on the internet for better options. I also used to fly just a couple times in the spring and that was it.

Now, when I get out my Rev for dual line foils, it attracts attention and I can hear the people talking about it when I'm flying but usually I'm the only one out. I flew at a new place for me a few weeks ago (a school behind my daughter's apartment) and she told me some people with large kites showed up after I left and were there for a few hours. Other folks are there but I rarely see them.

• Like 1

So, you're saying that once a family flies a basic single line kite, they think that's it and every other kite would be the same experience?

On a couple of other forums I have heard how sport kiting had its heyday in the 90's. I never heard of sport kites or large SLK's until 6 years ago. I'm only in my mid 40's so I'm not a kid, but around here, I would bet the predominant image in peoples minds are kids running through a field pulling a delta along 30' behind them. Perpetuated by all of the imagery used to portray it.

We all know that's the furthest thing from the truth. So. How to change it?

• Like 1

So, you're saying that once a family flies a basic single line kite, they think that's it and every other kite would be the same experience?

We all know that's the furthest thing from the truth. So. How to change it?

An interesting question. I've discussed this with the president of my dying kite club. My belief is short of an advertising campaign by a major manufacturer or the AKA would simply be to get kites in the hands of people. For instance if someone is watching you fly a quad or dual, ask them if they'd like to try it. Of course that is if you're comfortable with it. If one out of ten of those people then get into kiting, that's a pretty decent percentage. It will be a slow process although it will produce more fliers.

Does your club have festivals? Have an area set up with some kites and some club members to help new folks get going.

Another action that helps is as oapbillf mentioned above. Help those with the low end kites and it's possible they may up their ante into the sport.

The best option would be for an advertising campaign of some sort. Regardless of the method, what it comes down to is exposure.

Every year at our local festival, we have people available to teach flying to anyone who wants to try. It is announced often during the day. There are few to no takers.

I often wonder if we are so busy doing the fancy tricks and team formation flying that we aren't intimidating the viewers and taking the simple joy of loops, swoops and figure eights out of flying. Making it complicated instead of enjoyable. People love to watch it but are afraid to try because it looks so complicated.

I will offer the "interested spectator" a chance on the handles, but I didn't come downtown to give kite lessons all day on the mall.

All the tricks and everything I've learned in 20+ years of quading can be shared in five minutes (if we have good clean smooth wind for the lesson)

We advise locals to NOT buy a kite for the first 2 years, instead if you are truly that interested, acquire a properly fitting and fully functional Gortex rain-suit and appropriate all weather shoes. Just come down for the monthly flies and use our stuff, I know the weather is frightful, come anyway!

We are happy to share equipment if you are truly committed. Eventually you'll know what you want and be completely comfortable with the cost for such a fine object. You see it having a "perceived value", something you'd be willing to save and sacrifice for. Something you have dreamed about and carefully planned for. Something we all want a turn on too! Don't buy used, beginner or intermediate, wait and get it perfect. You just don't know what that is (YET!)

We have some kite club members who aren't decade long friends, but they are one of us nevertheless. They are volunteering to do those intro lessons now (that is so cool to me, when they used to be watching instead!)

They are only fancy tricks if you can't do them yourselves, it's just slack and restoring full power moments later. I can't hardly fly without jerking and flailing all around, not that I want you to copy my poor example of control.

Most spectators would rather watch us, but when we take a break, we split apart and talk to the folks individually.

If we can get you out flying with us a couple of times, the hook is set deep enough to reel 'em in for club membership. Then your own desire and commitment of time come into play whether you cross-over and sell your soul to the sport-kite demons or vanish onto the next great mall activity.

• Like 2

I thought I would chime in, with my opinion and who we are and what we do and why. My wife and I are full time rv'ers , full time kite vendors that host our own shows , teach kiting to elementary physical education classes, and only attend a handful of other kite events, we do this at our expense as we are not paid to host an event, this is my 15th year on the road , we travel from south padre island to sturgis SD. Every year. We represent premier kites and host small kite festivals all over the US, Our mission was to pick up the smaller rural communities that don't see modern kiting to it's extreme. Most kite memories of these folks are of homemade kites that didn't fly or inexpensive dime store kites that didn't last more than an afternoon. Our works are paying off and have created an awesome following of hundreds of enthusiasts , whom after a little education , a little product knowledge , and some basic training are really taking hold to kites. The only time they see the awesomeness of what you all do is if they take a vacation to a coastal location. This way we bring it to them. The crowds are small enough (300 to 2000) we can really spend quality time with most of them. Like was mentioned prior, I also agree many are intimidated by the professionals, but if you can spend hands on time and teach them the basics ,the fear is subsided. We show off the big promotional kites and lots of line laundry, single line kites from $7 to $2000 , dual line , quad line, and have clinics to teach multi line basics. You have to keep the enthusiasm alive to keep the interest active and including the rural communities really helps. I could write all day and my point is to grow a passion one must share it as well. Thanks!

• Like 3

At a recent small local kite festival there was a cordoned off area where a kite shop's "pros" were flying. I witnessed a couple of youngsters with their own kites get politely but firmly chased out of the area by the "pros." Even though there were no "pro" kites in the air at the time. You could tell that these two youngsters had a real interest in kites. Later, in fact, one had his small diamond kite flying higher than anyone in the crowd. It would have been nice to have the "pros" offer to help get their kites airborne. Then maybe walk it to the public flying area once in the air. Or even offer a bit of time on a dual line kite. That might have cemented the kid's interest for a long time. Instead the "pros" talked amongst themselves, never mixing with the crowd to give tips or offer anyone a chance to fly an advanced kite.

I realize that there needs to be an area where certain kite demonstrations will take place. But to grow the hobby perhaps the "pros" could occasionally mix with the crowd.

Bill

• Like 1

Well, there's good & bad in every gathering. I attended a stunt kite clinic years ago where people of all skill levels were invited. I knew how to fly, but didn't know many tricks at the time. Everyone had a space where they had their kites laid out, and space to fly where they wouldn't come in contact with the flier next to them. The 'expert' fliers in attendance just seemed to evaluate the lack of skills of the beginner fliers, and instead of offering any help, took the space for themselves. After moving a few times, I just rolled everything up and hung out with some other frustrated people on the edge of the field. We had a good time just talking about kites and showing off different ones to each other. That's the bad that I've experienced.

Most of the festivals & gathering that I've attended, people couldn't have been more friendly. From the beginners to the Rock Stars. But one thing I've noticed, bystanders & onlookers watch for m-a-y-b-e a few minutes, and then just wander on their way. Kites are cool for those who 'get it', but most don't...

I am always more than happy to stop flying and talk to an interested onlooker. I always try to put something in their hand to fly, and sometimes get taken up on the offer. Unfortunately, none of them have come back with their own kites... yet.

I've come to accept that flying kites is perceived as a little kooky, even by close friends & family. Oh well, they don't know the joy that they are missing !

@smoothwind... nice web site, but I didn't notice any parts, line or accessories, I assume they're coming ?

• Like 2

@smoothwind... nice web site, but I didn't notice any parts, line or accessories, I assume they're coming ?

@Must86, thanks for the kind words. Those products are coming very soon and in the meantime we'll get anything needed after a kite purchase ASAP. Appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

Hey Bill, where were you? I'd be curious. I have gone to a few festivals around the region and noticed something similar as well. I know there are more experienced dual line and quad fliers around Chicagoland and I never see them on the forums. I even tried to talk to a couple of them and I definitely felt brushed off at most or disinterested at least. But that has been the exception. I, for one, always make it a point to go over and talk to people when I see someone else with a kite. I dropped my son off at a birthday party in Barrington this spring and went to the largest park around to fly in some nice winds. Lo and behold there was a guy flying a dualie when I got there and he obviously needed some help. I started to walk over once I got set up, but he was quickly packing up and leaving. (can't remember the exact kite now). Later a family came to the park with a mid 90's dualie. (two separate people in one day! who woulda thought it?) They were having issues. I helped them a little bit and brought out my quantum because it was the only two line I had. The kid , around 10, had fun and was having some trouble getting the controls right. Unfortunately, I had to leave to get my son. I now wish I had left the Quantum with them. Seemed like a nice family who would have enjoyed it or at least passed it on to someone else.

Barrington is definitely out of my area and I probably won't be up there again, but I know there's some more people out there, just have to keep making contact, one at a time.

Hey Bill, where were you? I'd be curious. I have gone to a few festivals around the region and noticed something similar as well. I know there are more experienced dual line and quad fliers around Chicagoland and I never see them on the forums. I even tried to talk to a couple of them and I definitely felt brushed off at most or disinterested at least. But that has been the exception.

I was at the kite fest in Geneva.

Also, I was at the DeKalb Fest yesterday which was well attended. Lots of interested people with questions about my Rev. And although I don't think I'd wish to hand over the controls of my Rev to a rookie, I may try to have a dual line kite set up next time for people to take a whack at.

Bill

..... And although I don't think I'd wish to hand over the controls of my Rev to a rookie,.....

Bill

Same here for the most part Bill. I do have a low cost quad foil I'll let most anyone try. Nothing to break and slower than a Rev. I like having the foil even though I fly it a small percentage of the time of flying a Rev.

http://www.crosskites.com/cross-quattro

I really would've like a Prism Tensor but for significantly less cost and how often I fly the foil, the Peter Lynn 1.5 Quattro flies well and serves the purpose!

2.jpg

Also, I was at the DeKalb Fest yesterday which was well attended. Lots of interested people with questions about my Rev. And although I don't think I'd wish to hand over the controls of my Rev to a rookie, I may try to have a dual line kite set up next time for people to take a whack at.

Bill

Sorry to hear that. The Geneva one is tiny. I went a couple of years ago, but there was no wind, no one to help and had it in exactly the wrong spot down in a depression right off Kaneville and Peck.

I guess it comes to comfort. I wouldn't have a problem handing my handles to someone to try. I've learned Rev's are pretty sturdy and will only break if you hit 'em just right. Those spars give a lot. I also have a foil I would give them to try out before a dualie just because nose plants and cross spars tend to break more.

Hey Bill, where were you? I'd be curious. I have gone to a few festivals around the region and noticed something similar as well. I know there are more experienced dual line and quad fliers around Chicagoland and I never see them on the forums. I even tried to talk to a couple of them and I definitely felt brushed off at most or disinterested at least. But that has been the exception.

Bill

I stayed at the DeKalb fest long after the crowds and the flyers had gone, and even after Steve Anderson had gone. We were the last two left after the fest. I had four young ladies (ages 9-14) taking turns on my Rev for a couple of hours, and I think I got all four of them hooked. I informed their moms of the possibility of addiction and an idea of the expense. No one cringed! Four new Illinois flyers soon, I hope.

• Like 1

Bill

I stayed at the DeKalb fest long after the crowds and the flyers had gone, and even after Steve Anderson had gone. We were the last two left after the fest. I had four young ladies (ages 9-14) taking turns on my Rev for a couple of hours, and I think I got all four of them hooked. I informed their moms of the possibility of addiction and an idea of the expense. No one cringed! Four new Illinois flyers soon, I hope.

Good stuff, Mark.

I would think that college campuses, which is where the DeKalb fest (NIU) was held, would be a good place to get young people interested.

Mark is a great teacher, BTW.

Bill

post-8181-0-46113500-1410868748_thumb.jp

post-8181-0-69769600-1410868749_thumb.jp

It seems that the older kids, once they're in high school, don't seem to show much interest. Not cool anymore? The younger ones, some barely big enough to get their hands around the handle grips, seem to show the most enthusiasm and have the largest smiles. They also react better to what the kite is doing as opposed to overthinking the whole process, except for the occasional "naturals" who just click with it immediately.

Interesting thread. I would like to offer my 2 cents if I may. I think the fact that the sport is wind-dependent is a big factor. The wind is unpredictable to most people so they can't plan on when they will be able to fly. You can't just say, "I am going to fly this Saturday" and go. There needs to be wind (for most). Also, as mentioned earlier, most people have no idea about sport kites and their capabilities. I was into SLKs (delta's, box, etc.) as a kid and remember the first time I saw a dualie. My mind was blown. And all the other kid did was go back and forth along the horizon. No slack line tricks at all. But that was so much cooler than just letting out and reeling in the SLK. Then one day I was looking online and came across all the videos of slack-line tricks. That did it for me.

• Like 1

Bill

hey that's my old stomping grounds, NIU (1976-79),... the Fife & Drum, McCabes, The Plaza,.... I've gotta' get back there one of these days and a kite fest is about the perfect choice for an event to attract my attention.

• Like 1