KiteLife Forum

Flynhi's Travel/Rev blog (CLOSED)

Flynhi

• 6 months later...

Long time, no updates. I am short on time, so this post will be brief!

New kite Revolution B Series - Full Sail - Lime, White, Black It was purchased off here from username 3wrapframe. Price was great, payment was quick, and shipment was even quicker. Thank you!

I have been messing around with colors and patterns for some home made kites. The first ones: Wolf Kite and Bear Kite. More designs to come.

I also livestream on Twitch.tv. Feel free to follow me at http://www.twitch.tv/pipakite I will be sketching, creating unique kite plans, and promoting the sport/hobby/art form. If you like the content and wish to sponsor me feel free to send me a PM. I will promote anything and everything kite related.

I also post a lot of kite stuff on my instagram @PipaKite Mostly kite videos like this or like this or THIS. If you have a smart phone it is a free app. There needs to be more kite related activity on that app! It is an easy way to get in touch with the kite community all around the globe!

Winds are too strong to fly today. New video coming out this week. Hope all of you are doing well!

Replies:

Dragonfish: There was a surprising amount of art displays at the festival. People brought their stamp collections that featured kites, photos of ancient kites from all over the world, and a few booths of paintings. It was a really great experience for how short of time I was there.

John: Thank you for the other event suggestions. I am checking my calendar and clearing out days for those events.

• 2 weeks later...

How hard can it be to fly a kite, right? People always ask, "Is it hard to learn?" I tell them it takes a little time, that's all. Once you start it never ends. There is always something new to learn. Time on the lines is all it takes.

Have fun, smile, breathe. Fly with others as often as possible.

• Like 1

img]Re-purposed an old Nintendo 64 controller bag for a kite accessory bag. Album here:

eq0qkbg.jpg

wRrZ6Ty.jpg

17p7Krq.jpg

zTKR5LC.jpg

JR0s4kE.jpg

ZjVsQZc.jpg

8zOJZY9.jpg

Everything fits nicely into a backpack I got at ROSS. Next step is a detachable kite bag mod for the backpack.

Just purchased this kite. I can not wait to fly another 1.5 for those low Phoenix winds:

EIVe1Yq.jpg

Next kite in my scope - B Series Full Vent - Kite Connection Black Rainbow. Hoping to fly to Huntington Beach before December 10 to pick it up with some 120 ft line:

HiE9EJd.jpg

This might be my favorite 1.5 ever. Who distributes this color combo? Amazing job by the Rev team:

Y2ZSTdt.jpg

Getting a hot knife and some fabric tomorrow. Getting ready to paint the sky.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2015 at 10:17 PM, Wayne Dowler said:

The "Black Rainbow" color combo is a Kite Connection exclusive.

Where was the pic of the 1.5 SLE taken??

looks like from this video ... Huntington Beach, California ... since it's kiteconnection.com

Kite Info: Custom Rev 1.5 SUL in the Black/Lime color pattern
Pilot: Dave who is the owner of the kite store "The Kite Connection" at the pier in Huntington Beach, CA.

• 10 months later...

The pilot in that video is Dave Shenkman, owner of Kite Connection shop on that same pier (insured and trusted businessman in Huntington Beach) and veteran pilot / instructor / school demonstrator of over 30 years.

Less dangerous than standing at a busy corner while waiting for the walk sign, but only if you're dealing with a master pilot.

I've been "up to the elbow" in people multiple times over the past 26 years, both professionally and recreationally - I have never, ever had an injury.

But I also don't dive stop as hard or as close to folks as he did in that video, which is the real danger... When the kite is hovering (not in motion), it's not generating any power or velocity.

Regardless, not for amateurs.

6 hours ago, streaky479 said:

What would have happened if you lost control , or line snapped ?

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using KiteLife mobile app

Until you can do EVERYTHING that you can do flying forward when you are flying BACKWARD, don't even try this unless you have lots of personal liability insurance, and remember that even then, if they can prove you divebombed someone intentionally they won't pay out. 

In other words, you must be absolutely sure that you have absolute control over the kite before you even think of trying it. If you have children, do not use them for practice either. Play with an inanimate object. Find a garbage can or picnic table. Once you can dive-stop and hover the kite 1inch from that object without touching it, multiple times, and sustain that control for 20 minutes, then you are GETTING CLOSE to practicing on people. 

Not lying, not exaggerating here. This is NOT for you if you can't  control that beast, the wind. Those lines will cut like a hot knife through butter, and getting whacked in the head by the frame moving at full speed is not a good experience, or even vaguely funny.