KiteLife Forum

Flynhi's Travel/Rev blog (CLOSED)

Flynhi

Back when all I had in the 1.5 size was an SUL, I flew in some higher winds - and stretched my sail out badly. 10 - 13 mph means mid or full vent to me! I dislike too much "pull", so I switch sails pretty fast as wind comes up! When you get up to the X/V though, it seems to handle just about anything thrown at it. One of my "favorites" in the bag, it really extended my ability to fly in pretty stiff wind. :ani_yahoo:

Winds were ideal yesterday. I was able to get an hour and a half in the air. Started with a little snap stall practice, then tried to get clockwork hammered down a little more. The kite is started to get a little more tamed, but still loves to jump around randomly with gusts. It was a really fun session. I need to set goals next time I go out to fly.

Video from yesterday

No more wind for the rest of the week.

• Like 1

Arizona has had some good winds the last few days. I was flying the B2 in 20+. Only complaint is that i need to use a hammer to get the kite stake in the ground. I just love the peace and quiet here. But can do without the rattlesnake in the garage. Happy Thanksgiving Flynhi and all you other dark siders.

• Like 2

I purchased a new kite last night: Into the Wind Progressive Fleet Stack. I bought it used from a friend for $145. I think it is a fair price for the condition it is in. My favorite thing about the kite is the colors and the fact that it needs 300 lbs lines! Does this kite pull that hard? I took it out to equalize the lines and made a quick video:

Video from today

The winds were around 6 MPH, which was just enough for the stack to come to life. This will be a great kite for festivals.

I am thinking about flying to Miami or Dallas tomorrow to try it out in 15 - 20 MPH winds. (Edit: Flights are completely full, no flying tomorrow)

Who here has an instagram? I wish more kite people were on that app, it is a great way to promote the sport. A lot of young people are on instagram and are looking for excuses to get outside and meet people. If you are on instagram follow me and I will follow you back @flynhi_ I only have a couple of kite friends on there and would love more.

Winds are weak here in AZ for the rest of the week. Anyone live close to an airport and would like to fly for a couple of hours?

Off topic: I am very interested in kite making. I can't wait to study and make my first one liner fighter kite! 2015 will be the year of fabrication!

Another great video. Thank you for sharing all of this.

Thanks for the comment!

... can do without the rattlesnake in the garage. Happy Thanksgiving Flynhi and all you other dark siders.

I haven't seen a rattlesnake in ages! What part of town were you in? Was it a western diamondback? Happy thanksgiving!

I haven't seen a rattlesnake in ages! What part of town were you in? Was it a western diamondback? Happy thanksgiving!

I'm in Patagonia. I flew for 4 hours yesterday and only 3 cars drove by. The Orkin exterminator guy set sticky traps for the mice. The snake saw an easy meal and got caught up in the sticky trap also. I showed up when he was trying to capture it. It was about 2.5" wide and 4-5 feet long. I couldn't tell you what kind it was.

Drove to a small hill by my house to fly. The winds were dead most of the day. I was able to get the SUL into the air for 4 minutes:

Video of hill

The rest of the day I just watched the city move and the clouds roll by. Pretty peaceful day.

I'm in Patagonia. I flew for 4 hours yesterday and only 3 cars drove by. The Orkin exterminator guy set sticky traps for the mice. The snake saw an easy meal and got caught up in the sticky trap also. I showed up when he was trying to capture it. It was about 2.5" wide and 4-5 feet long. I couldn't tell you what kind it was.

Patagonia looks beautiful! I will have to make a road trip out there one day! That is a big damned snake.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wind has been scarce here in the Valley of the Sun. The few windy days happen on the same days I work double shifts. This Thursday will be very windy, and of course I am working a double shift that day. I am done waiting for wind to happen, it is time to start chasing the wind.

Tomorrow I will drive north to Sunset Point in Black Canyon, AZ.

DXtkq8F.jpg

Ideal weather for my 2 string kites. My Mid Vent Albatross quad string snapped a bungee cord, so no quads tomorrow.

Here are some images of the area:

tZnVGAr.jpg

XeZMCIO.jpg

Il0YYtl.jpg

It is a 2 mile hike off the main road. I plan on leaving my house an hour and a half before sunrise. I should have the kites set up as daybreak happens. I will take photos/videos of the trip.

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing some flying from that spot. It looks so scenic & picturesque... so different than what I'm used to seeing as I haven't been out of the Northeast in over 10 years. Just watch the ripstop on those cactus ! I thought my beach was full of hazards... Yikes !

Sunset Point will have to wait another day. There was an accident on the roads to Sunset Point and traffic would be a nightmare. Lucky for me, the winds shifted and are heading right to my park!

Even more exciting news: there is a new member on these forums from Mesa and we are meeting up at Noon.

Sunset point will happen next week! Today will be a good day.

E9onZYj.jpg

Here are some pics from a hike last week. Apologies for no Sunset Point today: http://imgur.com/a/1G7ur

• Like 1

Met up with AzKiter to fly a few kites today. He is a really cool dude! We shared kites and enjoyed a few good gusts of wind. The first two hours were pretty lackluster, sadly. The wind picked up as he had to pack up to leave. Happens every time :ani_giveup:

Short video from today

AzKiter ordered a few more kites. There will be future sessions.

Next Monday should have more wind. If not I am going to Sunset Point.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Took a trip to Belgium for the Lotto International Kite Festival. I only had 3 hours to spend there and 2 of those hours were rained out! I did get a little bit of footage from the festival. It was my first kite festival and my first time in Europe. I will be going back!

• Like 3

Nice. So that's where you disappeared off to.

Looks windy. I've also realized recently that European festivals seem to have a lot more "art" than the ones I've been to in the US. Between your video and some pictures from another recent European festival, I want to go to one now. Someday.....

Congrats, looks like it was a great trip. :)

Other noteworthy events... Berck sur Mer (France), Cervia (Italy) and Fano (Denmark), all very well known as some of the best in Europe.

Berck and Cervia actually overlap, could make for a very nice 2-3 week kite vacation - lots of folks do both. ;)