KiteLife Forum

Something BIG at the beach...

RobB

Something new flew in my door this week...

IMG_7229.jpg

I had to take a shot to give it scale...

IMG_7241.jpg

I always say... Bigger's Better. Unfortunately, the wind just wasn't strong enough to give it a proper flight. It's kinda heavy, but did get off the ground a little bit. Just too much work in ~2mph winds. Stay tuned for a video once the wind comes back...

• Like 3

The best beaches are the ones that you can actually drive out on the sand, find a quiet spot & enjoy the day. We don't have too many of those by me, and you need special permits & equipment. Not to mention 4wd. Cars & parking lots kind of take away from the serenity of being at the beach, but this time of year, at least the parking lots are empty...

• Like 1

Is this......what I think it is? I don't even know what it's called. The colors and your description (BIG) make me think it is though. Please do share more once you get a proper flight.

It might be... the pictures on the ground don't do it justice. I got to see it in the air, and even in the dark grey skies, it lit up.

Heh heh heh... it's the Skyburner XL. Sadly, the kite never made it to production due to lack of interest. I don't know why there aren't enough people interested in a 10 foot stunt kite. It looks like it might be geared towards power and speed, but it can also do tricks, in a really big, slow motion fashion. Suprisingly, the XL isn't much for light wind, I mean, with all that sail, you'd think it would shoot off the ground in 5mph of wind.

Today was the second day with it out at the beach, and I got it to fly a little bit more, but it was still work. The winds were around 5mph (+/- 2mph). One of my other 10 foot wings was on hand, the NewTech Firestorm. The Firestorm is a little taller, so it has a little more sail, which probably helps it to get off the ground easier. I was going to get the Prophecy out, too, but the four lines were calling me, so I got out the Zen. It's pretty big, too, so it sorta went along with the theme of the day...

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

So, maybe next time for the XL, but I had a good fly, tag teaming the Firestorm & the Zen.

• Like 3

Mostly because of poor camera placement and light winds, I only came away from the last session with a small clip of the New Big Kite...

But did get some more footage of my struggles with the Zen. Actually, with winds 3mph or so, I am getting along much better with the Zen. I figured it fit in with the other two, as it's actually a pretty big kite.

There's a little bit of the Firestorm at the end, I figured it worked to show scale of the big kites...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I finally got the BIG kite out in winds that it was happy with, somewhere between 5 and 10mph. All I can say is WOW, this thing is fun ! Being that it's scaled up from a full-sized kite, my flying inputs have to get scaled up as well. I spent some time tuning and adjusting it, as well as adding a weight to the tail. A small beach stone did the trick, as all the weights in my bag were for normal sized kites...

TailWeight.jpg

It's a little crude, but it's easy to find tuning weights on my beach ! 85 foot lines are a little short, and look like 50 foot lines do on a full-sized kite.

Anyway, I let the camera run for a while, and I cut out more than 75% of the footage, and was still left with over 10 minutes of video. So, sorry it's long, but if you want to watch, please full-screen it and click HD. Mute the sound if you don't like SRV playing a Jimi Hendrix cover, otherwise, rock out !

• Like 7

Thanks, Ralph. This kite is the most fun I've had on two lines in a long time. This was the first time I really got it flying in the kind of winds it needs. I look forward to spending a lot more time on the lines to really explore what it can do ! And the Hendrix tune ? Just lucky, it was the only song in my MP3 library that fit the length of the video !