KiteLife Forum

'E' guitar string for sheathing tool?

I found some old posts on making line sets and am deciding between a sheathing kit w/ tool or using line I have + an 'E' guitar string. I just want to re sheath my top Rev lines. The kits only have 4 or so cut pieces of sheathing.

While on the sheathing topic, any advice for limiting pulls in the sheathing after a lot of top line adjustments on our Revs?

My nails must be the problem!

"E" string works. Think "T" uses a thin flower wire for hers. I have an old "spleever" from Shanti I still use! I add small pull tabs to my loops that I can pull to adjust my lines with. Or you could make your loops long and tie a little tab knot into that at the end! Both work easy for adjusting or breakdown, I make my own sleeves from 90# bridle line, but it is a tight fit for the "spleever". To use it, just pull the core out!

Thanks for the replies! I'll snag a single light E string today.

Question for Mark: when you tie the knot in the end of the loop do you leave a small 'tail' to grab or just the knot?

I have some old 1980's Skybond 150# line that I'm almost certain has Kevlar strands in it. I was going to use the outside with the inner stands removed. Does anyone know if that vintage Skybond only had Kevlar in the inner strands and not on the woven outside sheathing?

I haven't replaced the sheathing yet, BUT did add the 'pull tabs' to the top lines at the Rev handles!

We flew a couple of days last weekend at Lincoln City and they work very nicely. Easier adjustments with far less time.

Thanks to all who suggested the 'pull tabs'.....................IMHO, they should be used by anyone who flies Revs and does line adjustments. I now need to add them to the 4 kite end attachment points. We went through standard, MV and FV Saturday and the tabs would have made these swaps easier.

• Like 1

For easy release of the Larkshead I use a strand of the core I pulled out of the 100 lb bridle line and make a small loop with a figure 8 knot a the end to grab onto.

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

Thank you for this tip years ago ! I've been using the idea and passing it along to others ever since. Invaluable if you cut your fingernails short like me...

I don't like it..always seemed to be an added snag point for me. I convereted all my line sets to the extra loop at one time..for the same reasons.. (pulling or snagging in the sleeving) But quickly removed them all from my quad sets...I found it easier just to resleeve occasionally, when wear became an issue.

I dig it on the slk stuff and all my spools have a super huge loop for larkshead with the added loop for releasing.

• Like 1