KiteLife Forum

Yeah, It's Cold, but I Gotta Fly !

RobB

Remember that the lower ends of the uprights go between the bungee and the sail. Helps keep them from flopping from side to side. You'll know when you forgot to put them there if you feel something like a clicking sensation in the handles when you load and unload the sail.

Steroids is an understatement for the way that puppy moves, huh? Looks really good against the sand and water. Once the sail begins to loosen up, tighten the end bungees of the leading edge about 1/4" to 3/8" on each end. That LE Dacron is pretty stiff when the kite is new, but it will become more flexible and stretch a bit with time. It will actually help to stabilize the kite some.

Have fun, and be careful. That thing is easy to lose control of. Keep it away from people when you fly it.

I did get a little video of the SuperSonic as well. This is the first flight, so I have to say, it's something to get used to. Never flew anything like this before...

It's a really tight, stiff wing, and responds to the slightest inputs. I was flying on 80' lines, which made it seem small compared to what I'm used to flying on these lines, the Zen. Talk about polar opposites !

• Like 2

Good video, thank you. You are in complete control of that kite! Wait for some 10-15mph wind and let 'er rip. It slides like a hot knife through butter!

Try sliding in a circle, very easy. Also try flying it as far up as possible and to either side of the window, and then give it complete slack and watch what happens. You'll be amazed.

This puppy will keep you smiling.

Don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Thanks, Mark, I don't know about 'control', it is so easy for the SS to get away from you. The winds in this video were around 10mph. You suggestion of giving the kite complete slack sounds like a recipe for disaster with me flying. I have yet to figure out how to do any tricks with a Rev, and there's nothing worse in my book than having to untangle 4 lines.

It is a ton of fun, similar to the rush of flying a Micron !

Put your Super at the top of the window directly overhead and pull the top lines like the "catch" part of a catch and throw.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely do it. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Oh, and here's a shot of my Rainbow Radical which I finally flew and took a photo of.

post-7138-0-46818200-1428080191_thumb.jp

Wow, I love those String Art Revs ! They didn't have anything like that when I got my Berkeley. I'm such a sucker for those rainbow kites !

Don't sell your Berkeley short. If you ever want to part with it, let me know.

Wow, I love those String Art Revs ! They didn't have anything like that when I got my Berkeley. I'm such a sucker for those rainbow kites !

Don't sell your Berkeley short. If you ever want to part with it, let me know.

No, don't get me wrong, I really like the Berk Rev. Especially because I've never seen another with the same pattern & colors. I could see adding a String Art Rev to the collection, though...

If I change my mind down the road, you've got dibs I guess !

• 1 month later...

Put your Super at the top of the window directly overhead and pull the top lines like the "catch" part of a catch and throw.

Trust me, it's worth it.

I've been practicing catch and throw on 30' lines. I can't picture what the SS looks like when yanked on 80' lines. Does anyone have a video?

it should arc around above you, seeking down wind energy again, re-power up and go back there in a nice smooth glide. You can throw a speed series kite (like a javelin honestly!) but I have never been able to catch one myself.

This design will also "dead-launch" without undue effort.

• Like 1

Trust me, it's worth it.

I've been practicing catch and throw on 30' lines. I can't picture what the SS looks like when yanked on 80' lines. Does anyone have a video?

Hey, Rudy -- long time since....

I just re-read this thread and since it kind of went off-topic, it may be somewhat confusing. Although catch-and-throw is possible on 80' lines with the SS, if you have close to JB skills, once the lines go slack the kite has a tendency to turn downwind and float away from you. The same will happen if you fly it to the upper right or left edge of the window and slacken the lines. Very seldom will the SS actually come towards the flyer, and this makes the catch part difficult unless the lines are quite short. Although I haven't tried them all, this should be true of all the Speed Series kites.

We were trying to get Rob B to try it, without actually telling him what would happen. Wanted to get him to have that "oh wow!" moment that most of us found out about by mistake. Swing down to Busse Woods some time and fly with me. I'll bring the SS and you can have some fun with it. If you want to, give me a call at 224.227.0638 anytime, I'm retired and available during the week too. Get out to some of the festivals with the IKE crowd this year if you can.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Hey, Rudy -- long time since....

I just re-read this thread and since it kind of went off-topic, it may be somewhat confusing. Although catch-and-throw is possible on 80' lines with the SS, if you have close to JB skills, once the lines go slack the kite has a tendency to turn downwind and float away from you. The same will happen if you fly it to the upper right or left edge of the window and slacken the lines. Very seldom will the SS actually come towards the flyer, and this makes the catch part difficult unless the lines are quite short. Although I haven't tried them all, this should be true of all the Speed Series kites.

We were trying to get Rob B to try it, without actually telling him what would happen. Wanted to get him to have that "oh wow!" moment that most of us found out about by mistake. Swing down to Busse Woods some time and fly with me. I'll bring the SS and you can have some fun with it. If you want to, give me a call at 224.227.0638 anytime, I'm retired and available during the week too. Get out to some of the festivals with the IKE crowd this year if you can.

PM