KiteLife Forum

Levitation or Ghost for beginner?

bookboy

Hi all,

I'm a relative newcomer to kites. I've started with a Revolution and a Prism Zero-G and would like to add a reasonable sized single line to my collection.

Wanting to avoid shipping costs from overseas, the locally available options I'm considering are a 7ft Gomberg Ghost or a 9ft ITW Levitation.

Is there anything that makes one of these a better choice? This may be a foolish beginner question, but can These be launched by one person?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks :-)

Jonathan

• Like 1

Which one do you like better?

The ghosts look very sweet by themselves, or in a train.

The leviathan looks impressive in the sky by itself.

I'd say the ghost would have less pull. Could always get one now and the other later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's the problem. I can't decide which I like better. Probably the ghost if I'm honest. But only the red is in stock which probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Maybe I'll postpone that decision and just get the Wala XL I've been thinking about. That can be a regular SLK in light wind anyway.

jonathan

My advice,

Only get a kite you like looking at. If the red isn't your first choice maybe put an enquiry into them asking when they might get some other colours ones in. It may tip them over to do an order.

I've flown both sizes of Walas (well at least the XL for sure) and they are fun as both glider and static kite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd recommend you check on Amazon.com. I bought a HQ Symphony Pro 2.2 last year from a store in England. The price was better than anything I could find domestically. Shipping was free and I had the kite one week after I ordered it.

I own a 9' delta in red-white-blue that I bought from ITW. Very solid kite that looks good in the air with the streamers hanging from it.

• Like 1

I second buying what you like looking at. Buying kites over even a moderate price is worth it to buy what you want. It's something you're probably going to have for years. I love my black 11fter (looks like a Dementor in my swirly winds). I like Delta's but I have lifters to hang my laundry.

• Like 1

Red makes a bold statement in the sky. White sometimes gets lost against a light-colored background, especially if you fly it quite high. If you keep it below 250 feet it's fine. Size will make a difference also. Seven-footers disappear faster than elevens or fifteens in the lighter colors.

Don't forget line and spool; depending where you buy, they may have package deals.

• Like 2

Well, I couldn't recommend any single line kite higher than the Ghost Delta. As far as being trouble free, easy to fly, and a wide wind range, I haven't flown anything better. And put it in a kid's hand ? It really makes a BIG impression. I don't have a Levitation Delta, I have been considering some ITW Deltas, but there are other kites higher on the wish list right now.

P1090090.jpg

• Like 1

Red makes a bold statement in the sky. White sometimes gets lost against a light-colored background, especially if you fly it quite high. If you keep it below 250 feet it's fine. Size will make a difference also. Seven-footers disappear faster than elevens or fifteens in the lighter colors.

Don't forget line and spool; depending where you buy, they may have package deals.

The White Ghost Delta is a really nice looking kite, but Mark is right, it disappears easily into the sky. This shot will give you an idea how Red & Black pop against the sky, while the White... uh.... yeah, where is it ?

:cat_shocked:

IMG_6967.jpg

• Like 1

The black is pretty cool. It definitely makes an impression, especially in the right lighting. I was working on Michigan's west coast on a project and was flying at the beach on some down time. My local coworker saw it while paddleboarding. He came into work the next day and was like "Whoa! " when he told me what he saw. He didn't know it was mine.

• Like 1