KiteLife Forum

Vented dual line

NWkiteluv

The Deep Space series are very well respected kites and you couldn't go wrong with a Benson. Outstanding build quality.

You could also look for a "strong standard" which is a standard sail with a stronger frame. Put a set of wind brakes on. There are also "mid vents" and "light vents" from Sky Sport Designs (Lam).

Do heavy lines slow down a dual enough in higher winds for tricking or would that not be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some pull is fun. Enough to get some "lean back". I also don't like getting pulled to where it feels like a struggle. I like graceful flying ideally, doesn't always happen though. :ani_notworthy: I think I'm gonna try that vented Deep Space. Not a cheap kite but if I don't end up liking it I can always sell it and put the money towards a Rev full vent. I'll probably end up with both + several Revs. Also some single line deltas and a couple of gliders! I really just need some more kites! Lol I am hopelessly hooked. :ani_giveup:

From my perspective you have come to the realization that you are going to continue your journey in the KiteLife for some time. Don't be concerned that you need to be at a certain level in a particular amount of time. Enjoy the path all along the way. I would also add that you might consider holding on to kites that you don't seem to click with when you first fly them. You may not be up to the potential of that particular kite & come back to love it later. I think a very good example of this trait might be the Revolution Zen. But these are just my thoughts as I am out here in the mountains as a solo hill billie kite flailer.

May the sky embrace your sails, SHBKF

• Like 4

Thanks for excellent advice guys. I ordered my kite today and will have it soon. Just in time for our potentially blustery spring season. I got to fly my Widow UL all day today. Perfect wind for it. It's probably my favorite kite in my bag since I get to fly it with a light breeze and easy slower flying. I love when the sweet weather coincides with my day off! :ani_victory:

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I think I will give it a try. And yes we should fly together and compare notes. Do you go to any kite festivals?

So far, I've only been to Berkeley Kite Festival. The ones up in Washington sound like great events, so I'll have to keep those on my radar. I'll probably be in Seattle for a few days in July, so there might be an opportunity to do a little flying then as well.

Thanks for excellent advice guys. I ordered my kite today and will have it soon. Just in time for our potentially blustery spring season.

Awesome! Please let us all know how you get along with it after you've had a chance to give it a proper workout. I'm always on the lookout for some good kite intel...

• Like 2

Cool I most definitely will keep everyone posted about the vented Deep Space. Brian please do hit me up when you're in town. It's always so fun to fly with others! Reef I do fly with 150# 85' when the wind is in the upper range. I haven't tried anything heavier than that. Longer is another way to go but I don't have the line sets yet. I could see that being another thing to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the purchase of the vented DS. I had the standard for a long time and loved it. Beautifully made, great flyer. I just registered on here so I came to the party a little late for this thread. I'd still like to make a comment, however. as I have a bunch of experience with the VV QP. It has 4 removable vent covers that allow you to vary the amount of venting. Interestingly, my feeling is the venting isn't what makes it trickable in strong winds. If anything, the venting to me makes it feel a bit mushy in response to hard inputs. They do, however, make the kite easier to stall in the middle of the window. I pull mine out when the wind is in the upper teens. I do feel a standard sail dualie is no harder to trick in strong wind than a vented. Its just that the vented can safely be flown in more wind, and that the tricks I can pull off in a fresh breeze with a standard end up being on the edge. Not sure any of that is useful, but its always fun to be involved in the discussion.

• Like 2

Cool Dave! Glad to hear you liked your DS. This will be my first vented so I'll have more of an opinion soon. What you were saying about tricking in higher wind makes sense to me. Thanks for chiming in and welcome!

Update. I received the kite on Saturday and somehow managed to not have the new kite curse. :blue_wink: The winds were choppy and probably gusting up to 15 or so. I think I'm gonna like this new kite. It definitely handled the gusts better than my standards would have with smoother, less of a struggle feel in flight and I was able to get a few tricks out of it. Axles, half axles, fades. Mostly towards the edges. Wrapped some wingtips a few times and had some minor crashes (like I do). Still getting used to the kite. One thing I noticed about the kite was that the lower spreader connection where the ferrule is seems really slippery. I even had the lower spreader separate a couple of times and had to put it back together. That connections feels a little too slick to me. I don't think the winds were too high for the kite either. Any one have any suggestions on how to stop that from happening?

Not known that happen on a DS of any type. The pressure on the stand offs from the leach tension should be more than sufficient to hold it together. Think some of the KRD kites have used a rubber band arrangement, but it really shouldn't be necessary with a DS. Try emailing Tim about it if you are concerned. He's a really nice guy and will know if anybody else has reported anything similar.

• Like 1

I apply a thin coat of Shoe Goo to some of my spreaders where they insert into the fittings, it wears off over time, but works for a while and doesn't leave a mess or damage anything.

Regarding popouts from the t-piece, rubber bands (cut inner tube into bands) are probably the best solution.

• Like 2

I give a +1 to the inner-tube rubber band solution, I've done that on certain kites (maybe under John's advice way-back-when). But I am surprised that a Benson kite would have that trouble. I don't have a Deep Space, but my Geminis certainly don't have that problem. Some kites need the standoffs angled slightly towards the center T to make sure the spreaders stay in place, but it's rare that a kite should need the rubber band solution.

• Like 3

I reassembled the leading edge. On this kite you have to push the lower connectors down to be able to do that. I think I might have had them just slightly out of place. It seems a bit better now. I measured my spreaders etc. Everything seems right so hopefully it won't come apart next time.

• Like 4

I reassembled the leading edge. On this kite you have to push the lower connectors down to be able to do that. I think I might have had them just slightly out of place. It seems a bit better now. I measured my spreaders etc. Everything seems right so hopefully it won't come apart next time.

Glad to hear. Tim's kites are some of the best in the world. I will have at least 5 one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1