KiteLife Forum

Adding weight

Backspin23

I finally got my Sea Devil today. :D:):D and it flew great, but I think that adding weight would help, so how exactly do you undo the knot thing at the botton of the back spreader. Do you just untie it where the bungie is or is there a spiffy trick you do that makes it really easy and fast.

thanks

JD

I untie the knot thing from the bungie, then pull the end cap straight off the rod... There's a bolt attached to it. The trick is to pull the cap, while allowing the string tied around it to slide (loosen) as you pull the cap off.

Still holding the end cap, slide your added weight on (pushing the stopper on the spine down further), and the slide the bolt back in until the cap is flush with the tip of the spine again.

Now, draw the end of the string tight again until the loops around the end cap are tight... Then, just tie the string back onto the bungie however you like, as long as it is tight and won't pop off... The kind of knot doesn't effect how it flies. :)

If you have any concerns, take a few digital photos before you work with it.

Alright thanks John, doesn't sound too difficult. but i just talked to Lam a little while ago to let him know i got the kite and he said the stock weight he put on was 37 grams... so i dont think ill need any more, maybe even a little less. but i was amazed on how well the kite flew with almost zero wind.

Look on the spine... If there's one silver-colored weight, it is 7 grams external.

My own kite (the one you flew on Labor Day) has 37 grams external, not counting what's "stock"... When the winds were lighter, I knocked it down to 22... When they were non-existent, I knocked it down to the standard 7 grams external.

there we go. it was a slip knot pretty easy now that i've done it once. well the scale said .2 ounces so thats about 6 or 7 grams i guess. ok  so ill probably add 10 or 20 grams to it and see how it flys. More wind wouldn't hurt either.  :)

JD

1 gram = 0.035 ounces on earth.

So that's 5 grams (or so)

• 5 months later...

OK guys (John, JD, anyone else?), I've had my Sea Devil since mid-November. Haven't had much in the way of decent flying weather since then, but this should be changing soon. The few times I have had my Sea Devil out flying, I've felt that it needed more weight in the tail. Lam indicated that it came with the proper amount, but I still would like to try adding a little more. Of course, if I knew what I was doing wrong on my Roll-ups :kid_smartass:, that might help some too! My question (finally!!! :blue-sleepy: ): What material do you use when adding (external) weight? (copper tubing is the only thing I've seen that might be somewhat suitable.)

thanks,

roguekiter

Lam and myself both use brass tubing, sized to fit exactly over the spine... We cut it into 5, 10, 15 and 20 gram weights... If you look at your kite now, it should have a single silver-ish 7 gram weight on it.

I generally fly 25 grams minimum, often up to 35-40... But very few use that much... 15-20 grams might be the common average.

If you get in touch with the folks at The Kite Shoppe, they sell pre-cut lengths in various weights... I get all mine from them.

Lam indicated that it came with the proper amount, but I still would like to try adding a little more. Of course, if I knew what I was doing wrong on my Roll-ups

Lam is pretty light too, you may be able to tie him onto your kite if you are at Lincoln City and ask nicely. He has a good strong grip!

:kid_smartass:

John, Did I say copper? :blue-sleepy: Sorry, I meant to say brass. It's available locally in hardware stores, so I'll just pick some up here. No need to have TKS go to all that trouble just to mail me a few pieces. Thanks!

I haven't seen the trick tutorials you mentioned. I'll try to check 'em out soon. Thanks again!

Monkey, I don't think I'm going to make it to the Indoor Fly at L.C. so that won't help much. Besides T.M. is going to be feeding Lam lots of donuts so he might become a little bit too heavy to lift easily!

T.M. :kid_smartass: , Donuts: OK Coffee: NO! (it stunts your growth, not your kite!) :D

R.K.

John or J.D. (no, not you David, unless of course you have some invaluable insight from adding weight to your REV BACKTRACKER!!! :P:D ): I bought a twelve inch piece of 5/16 " brass tubing at a hardware store yesterday. Then I went to another store where I knew they had an accurate scale. The tubing weighed in at 20 grams! So...., I'm confused :kid_cussing: , If there's only room for about a six inch piece (10 grams) on the spine below the bungee knot tie-in (at the lower spreader connector), how in the heck do you manage to add anything over 17 grams (the existing 7 gram weight + 10 more)??? Did I end up with some UL brass tubing or what?

(no, not you David, unless of course you have some invaluable insight from adding weight to your REV BACKTRACKER!!! :P:D

The best weight for a Backtracker is a five pound brick tied to the bridle for better sinking when I throw it into the Lincoln City lake!

:kid_cussing:

• 5 months later...
John or J.D. (no, not you David, unless of course you have some invaluable insight from adding weight to your REV BACKTRACKER!!! :):) ): I bought a twelve inch piece of 5/16 " brass tubing at a hardware store yesterday. Then I went to another store where I knew they had an accurate scale. The tubing weighed in at 20 grams! So...., I'm confused :confused!: , If there's only room for about a six inch piece (10 grams) on the spine below the bungee knot tie-in (at the lower spreader connector), how in the heck do you manage to add anything over 17 grams (the existing 7 gram weight + 10 more)??? Did I end up with some UL brass tubing or what?

I cut that piece in half and added the 6 in. half to my standard and was very happy with the result. I cut the remaing 6 in piece in half and added a 3 in piece to my Ultra Light and was very happy with that as well.

Rx