KiteLife Forum

Dogstake

John Barresi

• 3 months later...

Hi John,

I found your site a while back and have enjoyed reading though it. GREAT STUFF! Your dogstake wolfman routine is AWESOME! I hope I get just close to that one day. After flying for several years I think I may be quadified enough to try the dogstake. Any tips for a beginner? Line lenght, handles, kite choice, etc...?

I fabbed up a stake the other night and have tried it one time.

Hi John,

I found your site a while back and have enjoyed reading though it. GREAT STUFF! Your dogstake wolfman routine is AWESOME! I hope I get just close to that one day. After flying for several years I think I may be quadified enough to try the dogstake. Any tips for a beginner? Line lenght, handles, kite choice, etc...?

I fabbed up a stake the other night and have tried it one time. Winds were 10 - 15 and bumpy, 1.5 on 100' lines. Scary Stuff! That 1.5 moves fast when it's right at you and backwards!

I'm in Apex, NC, 3 hrs from the beach so I don't get the smooth winds frequently, but hey, I fly any way.

Hey CLTKiter, maybe we can fly sometime.

Revs in my bag to work with:

EXP - my first rev, hated it to start with but I changed my mind eventually

1.5 SUL - for those frequent light to no wind days here

1.5 SLE M - 3 for stacking and flying singles

1.5 SLE M Vented - what a sweetheart

II - 2 fly single and stacked

I Sedgewick - smoooooth, need I say more?

Supersonic - fast and stable, flys nice and slow also

Blast - my second rev and favorite of the speed series

Super Blast - to feed that urge for power, outstanding on those steady low wind days

Finally (I can hear it coming from other posters)

BACKTRACKERS - 3 nice little stack when I need a change

Thanks for the space!

Kewl collection, though I prefer the Super Blast over the Blast.

1st piece of advice on dog staking, switch your handles in your hands. Then it's just like your looking at the back of the kite and holding it correctly.

200 ft .of line for any kind of good wind.

Careful in a crowd. I had a family walk though me unannounced. They were lucky they didn't get a wallop as I was just starting out.

Choose your dog staking Rev. to match the wind. If it's blowing hard, a rev II or vented 1.5 is better.

Enjoy!

BB

Penny

The most important things I've found (for me) are:

1. Dont be afraid to switch the handles back and forth as you fly. IF the kite is behind or in front of you it can get confusing... just easier to switch the handles.

2. make sure the stake is very firmly in the ground. Take a bag and fill it with sand/dirt and attach it to the stake just to be sure. I've had the stupid thing fly out at the worst times.

3. Be careful looping the rev around, keep it above and away from your outgoing (you->stake) lines at all costs unless you're sure you can bring the rev away without going under. Nasty, nasty line tangles even with a swivel.

4. Wear a helmet if you're forced to use an SLE!!!! I learned that the hard way :)

5. Expect local fliers to complain about your showboating and that "this kind of flying isnt welcome out here". (at least if you're at TI) lol

Hi John,

Hey-o nckiter!

Here's a thread on GWTW where I addressed some of those questions, and other's responses, but feel free to come back with anything I missed...

http://gwtw-kites.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24378

Also, Paul LaMasters was kind enough to let me post his Dogstake diagram on this forum...

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showto...637

Cheers, thanks for being here!

Thanks to all for the tips. I wondered about using longer lines especially during the learning curve. Plan to give it another shot this weekend, weather and wind permitting. If I can figure out how to post a picture of the stake I fabbed I will do so. Basically it uses 4 of the rod tips (2 for the right lines and 2 for the left), the head with the tips swivels on the stake and is adjustable in height for varing soil conditions. I'd like to hear comments. Thanks again for the help!

Good wind to all-

When I dogstake, part of what makes it easier it being able to see the back of the kite and imagine that it's the front... When the kite travels too far away from me to the other side of the window, I can see the front and it confuses the :censored: out of me.

The trick with longer lines, you'll have more of the window where the kite gets in this position.

But, it's all personal taste... Play around, let us know what you find? :kid_content:

Hey NCKiter,

Would be good to hook up with you. My sister lives in Fuquay, son in Holly Springs, niece in Apex. Last weekend I went to Atlantic Beach for the weekend. Too bad I didn't know about your flying then...

I fly with the WACKOS when I can get time -- they normally fly in Harrisburg, just south of Concord (www.wackos.org). Other times I steal an hour or two at local schools. Rev's are my favorite and I have several from SUL to two vented. However, I have none of the bigger Power Blasts (my wife is afraid I'll hurt myself or someone else).

This past weekend the winds at Atlantic Beach were pretty solid 20-30+ mph, and the Sonic Vented was absolutely exhilirating. Pulled like a power kite! I got fly with another guy who was flying the Sonic Vented, and it was fun to do a Rev "kiss" at 30 mph! As I was packing up Sunday afternoon, a couple came by to tell me that the kite was "awesome'. They had been watching from a sheltered area upwind for about 45 minutes.

Anyway, would be good to fly with you. There are several WACKOS who fly quads. Check out the web site.

Later, Doug