KiteLife Forum

April is Kite Month ! 2015...

RobB

As I mentioned in the last post, I was lucky enough to get the demo Hydra from Fortuna Forms. I had actually forgotten that I put my name on the list for the demo kite, but really happy to fly it when it showed up. Like the Kymera, the Hydra is sold by Into the Wind. It's much heavier feeling than the Kymera, and seems to be built totally for the purpose of trick flying. I got to fly it in some good wind last week, but unfortunately the wind was a little low to really see what the Hydra could do. Like I said, it's heavy, everything is double or triple layered reinforced... it will probably last a long time. If you're into precision flying, straight lines & sharp corners, it's probably not the kite for you, but if you like tricks... it seems more than eager to please.

I got a little video of me flying it. I was just experimenting with it, seeing what it could do, and even with the low winds, I was impressed. I flew it for a half hour or so, and then put something lighter up in the air.

Notice the Ultrafoil 'windsock' hanging in the light wind. What a versatile kite it is... flying reliably in these light winds, and it doesn't get upset until the wind goes over 25mph. If you're looking for a nice SLK, big thumbs up on that one !

• Like 5

Almost forgot to mention it -- Flew my extremely ultra-light Rev-like in 1/2 to 1 mph today. It weighs 135 grams including all hardware, will fly in a fart.

I didn't take my camera with me, so here's a photo from right after I finished building. It has acquired a belt-loop type LE pocket since then. Will post another photo asap.

post-7138-0-99194200-1429946236_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Nice Rev, Mark. would love to see a vid of it in the air. I bet its sooo graceful :)

Actually, it's really fast. It has a higher aspect ratio than a 1.5 does, shorter uprights and longer LE. It really boogies in 3mph wind. It takes short handles to reduce input to a reasonable level. It doesn't slow down enough to be "graceful" until the wind is at 1.5mph or less. I really like flying it at 0.5 to 1.0mph. I haven't taken any video of myself flying anything yet, but I'll ask someone who has to shoot a short one and post it here as soon as the wind is right. I built this kite because I got tired of going to festivals when there was almost no wind. It's really satisfying to fly a quad sitting down while everyone else is running around and working up a heavy sweat trying to keep their kites airborne.

Edit: I'll post a photo of it sitting next to a 1.5, so you can see the difference.

• Like 1

This is very interesting. The light wind Rev thing is something I really want to explore. I've got a two wrap frame for my 1.5 but haven't tried it yet. The Zen looks great but is really expensive Id be very interested in seeing how your kite performs. Thanks Mark!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it took me a couple of weeks, but as promised, here's some pics. Fairly decent wind today for the Midwest, fading in and out, but not as lumpy as usual.

That's the Lattice UL, showing the LE belt-loop mod with a B-Pro behind it for size comparison.

post-7138-0-84020200-1431647067_thumb.jp

Had some fun with the RevII also.

post-7138-0-63502100-1431647204_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hey Mark,

thanks so much for the pics. Would you please explain the mod again? i remember the light wind performance advantages and it looks like the verticals are longer, but beyond that, I don;t kknow what I'm looking at other than a beautiful kite :)

Yes, the uprights are about four inches shorter, and the leading edge is six inches longer. The higher aspect ratio makes the kite quicker than it would be with the same aspect ratio as the rev, which helps a low-wind, very light kite maintain momentum, which in turn makes low-wind flying a bit easier.

pretty pronounced left and right handling expected as compared to your Pro,... which would be more neutral,

I noticed the center Vee is cut much deeper

Engineers change several variables at once and then wonder which one thing effected the handling in a less than expected manner,... hopefully you will not experience any of these developmental complications yourself Mark. (the worst is when the variables are a cumulative endeavor of dissatisfaction!,... for example "oversteer", what do you change to get rid of it?,... maybe one variable alteration will not have the effect desired)

Have fun with the design modifications and keep us informed,..... experimenting is one of my favorite kiting activities

The kite is pretty much finished. It went through series of modifications, one at a time, so I could be certain that each mod had the desired effect. The only thing left to do is bring the bridle upper line attachment points down an inch or two, as they are up too high towards the leading edge in comparison to the brakes, which makes the kite a bit "squirrely", and causes a tad of oversteer. I will also try it without the bridle, and see which handles better. Losing the bridle, even though it is 50# spectra, would decrease overall weight by a couple of grams. It weighs in at 135 grams right now, but every bit helps. With a couple of framing improvements, it could lose another 10 grams or so. I'm aiming for about 120 grams (about 4.25 ounces) eventually.

By the way, my order of 5.5mm wide by 60 yards long 3M 9460 tape came in today. Had to order 10 rolls to meet minimum order requirements, so I can spare a few if anyone is interested. My net cost is $17.50 per roll. I have much more than I can use, so if anyone would like to buy some, PM me. Shipping by first class mail would be about $2/roll. 60 yards is enough to make at least 2 Rev-like kites.

Also, Paul, where can I get some of your "secret weapon" leading edge Dacron? Or something similar? What would you recommend? I would like to know, because the one I have on the drawing board now will have 400 square inches more sail area then a Rev 1.5 (50 sq in short of a Zen), fit a 1.5 frame, and weigh in at 114 grams (possibly less, depending on the materials). Aiming at 4 ounces, or less. Sail area to weight ratio will be out-of-this-world. Building the lighter re-designed end caps, and modified sail attachment system will take some time, but I am hoping to have it done by September. Just the sail and LE should be done in a month.