KiteLife Forum

Do you fold your kite all the way?

Palmahnic

I tore the loop string that attaches the tensioner to the LE sail, on my Widow NG, during flight today. It got out at the seams of the LE sleeve, and this is after only 3 months of owning it. It got me thinking it might be because I don't take the tensioners off when I'm done flying. Leaving the LE connected all the way to the nock cover, had tension built up until the seams broke.

Do you fold you kite all the way?

I used to break my kites down religiously when I first got them. But now I don't even take the tensioners off. There was a thread somewhere on here about this and a lot of the more experienced pilots don't break down the LE's.

Are your tensioners the bungi type or bridle type? Mine have been the bridle type.

Mind you, I have a separate bag for my dualies now so I can leave them long. Had to pack them up short to put them in my rev bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not uncommon to wear through the wingtip lashing. Especially if you're landing or tip-stabbing on sand. Those little rubber caps help some, but they wear through & pop off all the time, too. Replacing the wingtip lashings is a pretty easy repair, nothing to be concerned about. I keep my kites 'long' always. I only release the wingtip lashings on the curved leading edge kites.

Take a look at this post...

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/4320-should-i-be-breaking-down-the-leading-edge/

I've been flying dual line kites since 1990 and have never de tensioned a leading edge except for travel. Never had a prroblem, but I have had to replace the shock chord or string lashing a few times. I carry a little tool kit that has this material, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Wing tip lashing, is that what it's called? It's the little loop that's sewn to the end of the kite sail and Dacron sleeve. Well, it was sewn back on today, and I hope my stitching lasts. @SparkieRob mine are bridle lines. I have enough room in the back of my Land Cruiser so I never had to break it down. @RobB Thanks for the tip, my Widow NG actually came with that kind of knot to secure the tension bridle line. @Dave362 I also started to bring a "kite kit" with me when I go out flying, it's a real downer when 2 minutes after you arrived at the field something goes pop, and you have to fold everything away. It has kite thread, tear aid, nocks, end caps, yoyo stoppers, center t's, scissors, adheseve sail patches, needles and some thread. What's in your kit?

Sounds lik a good kit :)

I have nocks, Black electric tape, a bunch of different weights and 0 rings, small zip ties, Bridle line, and stand off caps for my QPs. Also some scissors and pliers.... I can't remember what else..... It keeps changing/growing as different things break.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...