KiteLife Forum

Perfect bridle material ?

Guy Capra (Alomphega)

Hello folks,
What about "the materials of the perfect bridle ?"
I am looking for what material to use to make my bridles perfect : light, strong, cheap, and especially that does not become entangled, never ! :g:
I guess something like small dyneema or something else can do the job, but I guess kite making world already knows something perfect.
Do you have an idea of what material meets this specification, and where can I find it ?
Thanks a lot for your time reading me, and your help if you can do !
Best Regards,
Guy

Hi Guy,

I use Climax 65kg 65daN 143lbs Braided Dacron Black Kite Line and I have never had any problems!

It is available in various sizes, try a search in Europe as I believe it is made in Germany.

Bill

• Like 2

If light weight is what you are looking for, you can use Spectra (Laser Pro Gold, for example). I use 90-lb and 50-lb on the kites that I fly in the lightest winds. If you are bridling a Revolution kite, pre-tied bridles are available in 90-lb Spectra from the UK. Look on e-Bay. I like the 90-lb LPG because it is stiffer than the Spectra used to make fishing lines and that helps it not to tangle. However, if you are tying your own, you must be very careful to tie knots that won't slip because the Spectra line is very slick and your knots may creep. If you use any color other than white, test it for color fastness before you use it. Some colors will bleed onto the sail if you put the kite away wet, like after a rain or in the evening when the dew starts to set.

What type of kite are you bridling?

• Like 1

a dacron sheath OVER the spectra lines (called "hi-test" bridle line) is both permanent and easy to untie or adjust. You might need that flexibility during the finalization stages of your bridling efforts, certainly easier to TUNE on-site.

It comes as 100# (90# spectra + 40# dacron) or 170# (150# spectra + 40# dacron) and it is available in some colors as well as black.

if using all spectra line only for your bridling efforts, i recommend the figure of eight knot PLUS a spot of nail polish, so the knots are locked down permanently

• Like 3

Thanks for your advice John, always listened as it deserves ;-)

But as a French native speaker, if I think I understand what you mean both Paul and you saying "cored lines" or "dacron sheath OVER the spectra lines (called "hi-test" bridle line)", alas I do not find these lines in Europe easily...

Maybe you could send me some links (even USA ones) of some online shops selling these kind of lines or even some descriptions online of their respective makers, so I can search the same kind of lines here in France ?

Anyway, thank you very much (again) for your time !

Best Regards,
Guy