KiteLife Forum

SUL purchase advice

Dave362

Thanks guys,,

Budget is no problem, I don't mind paying for a good kite. I'm looking for a true SUL, but one with a lower aspect ratio wing than my Ozone. That said, I'm sure not looking to roll the thing up, just float around and do ocassional old school tricks, which I consider to include backspins and JLs.

Thanks guys,,

Budget is no problem, I don't mind paying for a good kite. I'm looking for a true SUL, but one with a lower aspect ratio wing than my Ozone. That said, I'm sure not looking to roll the thing up, just float around and do ocassional old school tricks, which I consider to include backspins and JLs.

Take a look at Ocius SUL by Skyburner.

• Like 2

I have the Aura SUL and love it in 0-3 though it certainly can handle faster. It's slightly smaller though the tricks are definitely there and it's a nice flyer too. I also want to try the Ocius sometime as It's slightly larger than the Aura. I'm guessing you couldn't go wrong with either as Skyburner makes some excellent kites.

• Like 2

How about the Skyburner PDSUL, Jordan Air Millennium, or a Benson Innerspace? The SB Nik Nak is also outstanding. The Zephyr is truly disappointing in unsteady SUL/UL winds, and the Shadow is well...a kite I would have no problem getting rid of.

If you like the GPS, I would stick with the GPS line. I'm pretty sure that I saw that Lam has developed the SUL at this point. My Sea Devil SUL is my favorite SUL trick kite, followed close behind by the Fearless SUL.

You really can't go wrong with SkyBurner, either. I don't have a Widow Maker or Solus UL, yet, but the standard versions are great kites, and can fly in winds as low as 3mph without too much work. I've stayed away from the Ocius and Aura designs as they are smaller kites, and I like my kites big. Small just means fast & twitchy to me.

The ProDancer is a fine kite, but it lacks in its ability to trick. I've only been able to get weak axels & 540s out of mine, but it will fly easily in the slightest of breezes. It is what I would call a 'true SUL' kite that could even be flown indoors. It really comes down to what you want, a kite that will fly easily in no wind (but no tricks), or one that can fly in no wind with some work, but is trickable.

• Like 1

I'm kinda thinking Widowmaker UL. The GPS is a great kite and I may end up with a set of them, but I still haven't put in enough time to decide. Committing to a design can get pretty expensive and Lam's kites, while sublime, are at the high end price wise. Also, I have a set of QPs that I really like and I'm not sure I shouldn't give those another look. I'm taking them to JB's clinic, so we'll see....

I've got a Nirvana I've loved for years, but the build isn't up to the high prices they demand, so I wouldn't invest in a Nirvana SUL That's the thing about Lam's kites, or my Seattle made QPs. I guess Skyburner fits this as well, You're paying top dollar, but getting quality that will endure for years. Sorry to ramble....

• Like 2

This is settled for me. I contacted Theresa about a new bridle for my QP SUL. Of course she had one in stock... :ani_notworthy: It s been a very long time since I've flown it and my flying style has probably changed. I'm gonna give it another go...

Gotta admit, I learrned a great deal reading and considering the posts in this thread. Thanks very much!

Dave