KiteLife Forum

Revolution kites question

Mujician

Hi,

I realise revolutions have been around for quite some time now, but I don't know anything about them. Are they all made the same way? Or do some differ slightly to others? Only reason for asking is I've seen videos of people flying them indoors with great ease. Is there a special kind of indoors revolution?

'Revolution' kites are controlled by 4 lines instead of the usual 2 or 1. The genuine American Revolution kites are the originals and still probably the best though they are very expensive in the UK. Cheaper alternatives can be bought from China and Europe but while there have been a lot of heated debates on how good or bad they are compared to the genuine article, for a beginner at least I'd get a genuine one because you know that will fly properly straight from the bag without having to adjust things. You can often pick them up cheaper ( but not cheaply) on Ebay.

Indoor Revs are specially designed to be very light but this also means like most indoor kites they are more fragile and perhaps not for a total beginner.

• Like 1

Revs are like golf clubs, you can buy an individual item, but a matched set, perfect in every way, built for a variety of different flying conditions is in YOUR future eventually. You could play golf with just one club too, it's legal but a huge disadvantage. Still a professional golfer could probably give you a run for the money despite this burdening handicap.

You can buy a rev to fly underwater, or indoors, even when the porta-pottie blows over and the coast guard will NOT leave the harbor. You can get one to pull you around like a power traction kite would. You can arrange for a stack of multiple kites to be created, Even in progressive size changing option!

If you wanted something truly extraordinary ( a one-off creation) Revolution Enterprises would be happy to assist you with that mission.

The Indoor Rev is capable of outdoor flight, but only in VERY low wind conditions. It's lighter, has no bridle to equalize the stress on the frame, and in general, while still using the same basic control movements, loads very differently from an outdoor model. I would not recommend one as your first, unless doing a LOT of indoor flying.

Outdoor models do darn near anything! Precision, speed, traction, etc, you can get just about anything to satisfy the need! The trick is knowing what it is YOU are after!

• Like 1

Just get whatever strikes your fancy. You'll get used to it, and eventually expand from that point. Good model for learning is the SLE standard sail, unless you have winds averaging over 10mph where you intend to fly. Then you should get a vented version. A bunch of UK flyers meet at Dunstable Downs darn near every weekend. Join them if you can. It will cut hundreds of hours from your learning curve.

Buy new if you can. Like buying a used car, you may end up buying someone else's problems.

You will have many more questions after that. Those we can answer as they arise.

There are many Rev models, sharing the basic shape. Me and a friend can only support the "start with an original". We both started with non-clones, and I got a clone as my next - never got to become friends with it before replacing handles. My Transeye (non-clone) is better in some ways, worse in others, and has a narrower wind-range.

The real thing is the best, and I suggest, based on my experience, a semi-vent or vented as the first, depending on wind. I have variable and gusty winds here.

You can get Indoor, SUL (Super Ultra Light), std, semi-vented, full vent, xtra vented variants of the Revolution to match you wind conditions. Polo Kites makes better looking and with different vent layouts. The Shook Weaves are supposedly the best design with the widest wind range. If you go for the alternatives, the range is limited, and the clone manufacturers usually has only 1 or 2 models.

I fly my full vent clone (of good quality and different vent layout) vented from 6 mph to 25-30 mph. But as a complete beginner, a full vent should have more wind. Some clones are bad, some OK, some good. But be carefull. Getting a clone might end up being more expensive when you need to replace some/all of the parts. Some uses cheap PC-40, others uses Icarex. And different quality rods.

• 2 weeks later...

As a complete newbie I would love some advice. I want to buy a quad, but am loath to spend so much money on one and then discover they ate not for me! Can anyone recommend a cheaper clone, that way I wouldn't lose so much if I decide I don't like it. There are no clubs near me and I don't yet know any kite flyers in order to borrow, or try one out. But, that said, they look simply brilliant in flight and I'm fairly sure that once I've destroyed the cheap one in the learning curve I'll go out and buy a rev!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Here's the thing... if you buy a knock-off, you won't get to enjoy the full experience. You may not like it because the knock-off doesn't perform as well as the real thing, you might give up on it, never having experienced how nicely a real Rev flies. If you buy a Rev & don't like it, you can always sell it for close to what you bought it for. A knock-off would have little to no value on the second-hand market...

As a complete newbie I would love some advice. I want to buy a quad, but am loath to spend so much money on one and then discover they ate not for me! Can anyone recommend a cheaper clone, that way I wouldn't lose so much if I decide I don't like it. There are no clubs near me and I don't yet know any kite flyers in order to borrow, or try one out. But, that said, they look simply brilliant in flight and I'm fairly sure that once I've destroyed the cheap one in the learning curve I'll go out and buy a rev!!

SJW, I can only think of one way for you to try without buying is to find a kite festival or club and travel there. No idea where you're located, but otherwise I hate to suggest buying a clone that usually doesn't fly as well and then think it's not for you. Clones are cheaper for a reason: lesser workmanship and materials. Usually the best way is to try OPK (other peoples kites). If you can tell us where you are roundabout or do more research you'll find someone not too far away hopefully.

Acouple of factors to add: the EXP is the entry level kite, most people who are bitten hard pass through this one pretty fast onto the up level Rev kites. They're not as marketable if you don't think it's for you but there are always people looking for kites second hand, like yourself. It's just timing to find one. Also, the kites are not cheap because they're well made and quality materials. Handles will last forever and lines and sails will last for years. Once you buy, you're set for a while, except when you want to buy more kites. The cost of entry is a little more, but the cost of maintenance is very low.

• Like 1

Hi, Steve, and welcome to the forum. Everyone here started out the same way you are about to, and a lot of them are still relatively new to flying quad-line kites. Listen to and heed their advice. Just like the rest of us you will learn some things the easy way and some the hard way. If you want to make it ALL the hard way, get a clone. It is difficult enough learning to fly a quad without having to battle the kite, and of course, resale value is a consideration.

Let us know at least roughly where you are, and we may be able to recommend someone to hook up with, who would be happy to let you "test drive" a couple before you jump in. We're a friendly bunch, and always willing to help someone who is starting out on this fascinating journey.

SJW

Without knowing where you are located, the resources I know of are the member maps here on KiteLife, a member map on the Rev forum, and I believe on a site kitemap.com or .org. (a little help needed from my friends on this)

The used market is out there, you just need to ask. Asking questions here can direct your search to something that fits your needs.

We need a little more info to help!! Where, winds, etc, will all help in getting you a good fit.

Hi Mujician,

It may be a bit of a journey but if you can get down to Dunstable Downs one Sunday, weather and festivals permitting, you would be welcome to try any Rev that we have in our bags !

Given a couple of hours we would go through setting up, wrapping up but most of all basic flying and then a towel to wipe the smile off your face :ani_victory:

Bill

• Like 1

There are many quads out there most more difficult to fly. I got a transeye a colleague got the dropkick.

None of us had much luck with the alternatives.

I got a real rev clone, the most expensive after some research. It was easier to launch and fly. Found out I needed a vented for inland winds and got the same brand for $200 kite only.

Next investment was $50 custom made handles. Since they were Revolution handle clones they made it even easier to fly. The Chinese where much worse.

I hear UK people buying cheap Chinese albatross brand, and use soldering iron to make holes to make it vented as they cloned only the EXP. but with low quality frame.

In the U.S. get the Rev. In Germany there are clones and the best Chinese clones are fine but not much cheaper.

Hi all, thanks for all your advice. I live in Germany now so dunstable is a bit of a trek, haha...

I've finally made my choice and decided to buy a quad foil. After more research I thought this would give me the four line experience I'm looking for and at a bit of a lower price. I'm now the proud owner of a Peter Lynn hornet 3m and after just one day of flying I've also decided I'll save the money for a rev, although I'm now not sure whether to skip the SLE and straight to something I can grow with. But, man, I know the PL is no rev but four lines are brilliant, what an eye opener!

Wish you all a windy Saturday, I'm off out to practice, fixed grin in place

Better places is Holland or Denmark at the sea. Inland you always gets gusty winds.

I would say my rev experience better translates to use on my Hornet 3.0m2 than the other way around.

For inland make sure to get semi-vent or vented. I use full vented and light frame 80% of the time.

Yeah, tbh the hornet was the cheaper alternative route to quadline kites and I'll be the first to admit I am a bit impulsive! I get an idea in my head and I just cannot shake it...I blame the father in law for suggesting I take his three stack sport kite out. It was fun but in a limited way...there are only so many spins before the boredom sets in. Add that and the Internet together and hey presto, Steve has to have a quad line...

I got my 1 y.o. used Hornet III 3.0m2 in mint condition for €100. Apart from the sand it was like new. So it is a cheaper route. But power kites are different.

I am looking for a better power performer as well. So I am waiting for the HQ Toxic II to arrive in Europe. Different moods calls for different activities.