KiteLife Forum

Line strength?

Mujician

• 4 months later...

I would recommend that you use Dyneema or Spectra lines, both are trade names for Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene line. I have flown small foils on lesser lines & found the softer response of the kite less than ideal. Keep in mind, especially in frameless kites, that you, the lines & the bridle are kind of the frame for the kite sail. Another thing about flying some small foils that I have learned is how to deal with the sail when the end collapses (tip tuck) at the edge of the window. First I would step back & pull both lines to try to inflate the sail. That sort of worked but later I found that if you pop the line opposite to the folding tip the kite reinflates & you can continue flying. In a lull, when the sail stalls & folds in half, you can do the same. As you fly off just try to keep your kite moving. Have not tried that on all my foils as I have just discovered this little trick. I wish someone would have mentioned it to me early on.

This is an interesting subject to the view that, skybond and similar line has the same 1 to 2% stretch, so in fact that a 120' line set needs to be equalized, does anyone realize that a 2% stretch on a 120' line set equals almost 29"' of stretch? Honestly, you don't need to worry about equalized lines. Worry about 2% stretch if you want to worry about something. Then waste more time worrying why you didn't buy into cab, kmi, but not not into race.

They came from factory with #50 (50 pound) line.

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5106-hq-symphony-beach/

I've had my "1.3 Beach" at the limit of the wind range and the pull is nice but I really don't think it warrants any more than the factory supplied line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk