KiteLife Forum

Weekend projects - Nose Plasti Dip

Hi folks, greeting from Israel.

So the nose on my Widow NG was torn and beaten for a while, probably from all the nose pop-up and such. It was time for a nose job. I decided my sawing skills were not up to the task of putting a new one, so I went with an option that was discussed by many before on different forums, all recommending it. Since I haven't seen anyone post a "how-to" manual, I'm showing here my process. Hope you enjoy it.

The before shot + The material and tools

20150530_124232_SUPER.jpg20150530_124435_SUPER.jpg

I started applying the first layer with a brush, very runny and fluid compered to the original mix, after I thinned it with the Naphtha. This was so the fabric would be soaked with the plasti dip . After waiting 1/2 hour, I applied the second layer, which was reduced through natural vaporizing in open air.

After another half and hour I put the leftover plasti dip in a cut-out plastic dish so I can dip the nose in the now-more-concentrated material. I dipped only 1/3rd of the nose this time. After another 1/2 an hour, I dipped a final time in the almost-original consistency dip, and only the tip of the nose. The result was a fully protected nose.

20150530_143453_SUPER.jpg20150530_143852_SUPER.jpg20150530_150208_SUPER.jpg

Hope I helped someone, in some small way.

On another note, if there's anybody on this honorable forum from my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to get together and fly :) happy flying everyone.

Iftah.

• Like 5

This is a repair I did a couple years ago to my well flown HQ Shadow.  The spine had poked through so I did a little hand sewing followed with brushed on Plasti Dip.  gallery_7709_404_702557.jpg

I also repaired the trailing edges with ultra high molecular weight polyethylene tape.gallery_7709_404_871075.jpg
  • Like 2

A kite is not even loved until it has been repaired the first time, a kid's muddy foot print should not be washed off and burn hole, particularly if not caused personally is prized additional signature on the sail. If you are really stud-lucky, then a few dogs have anointed your kite, maybe they haven't been fast enough to bite it in the air though

• 1 year later...

So now some time later - how did it go? Did the repairs last/age well? Would a 10 year old repair last or go stiff and fragile (if anyone would happen to know e.g. from looking on old plasti-dipped tools)?

Does anyone have experience with using plasti dip as a fully preventive action (preferably before going to a rocky beach to really test it)? Is a plasti dipped nose a "never wear out" nose that should be on all kites? Possibly only a thinner layer would be needed for preventive purposes compared to what would be needed when doing a full repair? Perhaps do it on several kites in parallel?

Can cured/dried plasti dip be dissolved in solvents that leaves the rest of the kite intact, if one would like to reverse the process?

Any other types of "goos" that would work OK? In my shed I got tubes of acrylic goo/artificial latex and silicone for "marine use" along with a bottle of low viscosity primer for porous surfaces. For the acrylic goo and the silicon, I don't think that it would be possible to dissolve it if needed.

Background: I've beat up my Maestro 3 by being on a very small rocky beach in hard wind (frame deforming) using 15m lines.

• Like 1

The nose job I did on my Widow NG held well under my hands. Passing to another learning pilot managed another six months or so before the spine popped through, after a death defying nose dive. Luckily by this point I had already the skill to replace the nose all together for him. I do believe it helps on beginners' learning curve to preserve a kite nose as much as the poor thing can handle. Also, if you lay it right to begin with, you can peel it off if you don't want it anymore.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2016 at 11:17 PM, Palmahnic said:

Also, if you lay it right to begin with, you can peel it off if you don't want it anymore.

Since I'm a bit concerned regarding the ageing of the repair and the reversibility of the process, it was interesting news that you could peel it off even though you applied it on the fabric of the nose - a porous surface. So It didn't go into the fabric to any large extent, but more remained on the surface? Even when you thinned it by mixing it with naphtha it didn't enter the fabric so much, so that you couldn't peel it off?

No, I should start to make tests instead, I just saw an offer where I could get a spray bottle of rubber paint for about USD 9, as long as I freely chose the color blue. ... No I don't want a kite with a blue nose - I should go for the black or the transparent rubber spray instead.

I should go for the black or the transparent rubber spray instead.

You shouldn't go for spray at all, if you're thinking of peeling it off one day. That's also what I meant by laying it right. I did this with a few of my kites. I found that if I DON'T thin it down with anything, I can dip the nose, and it will stay on but won't penetrate the webbing so much as I cannot peel most of it, if not all of it, off.

This is a kite altering process, never the less, and should be regarded as such. It's my personal opinion that if you don't want to take the risk of changing the way the kite was initially built, even in the slightest, you should not engage in this method. Results may be irreversible.

Good luck.
  • Like 1

Another option might be to just use some gaffers tape. I applied some to the nose of a vented silver fox for my boy some time ago because some of the edges were starting to fray and the thing I like about it is its a cloth tape that's fairly durable but unlike the cloth tape you buy at the hardware store, it can be removed without leaving a residue, or at least what little is left is easily removed. It stays put  pretty well, is black and blends well with the nose and other wear area's. Not recommended for the sail area though. I wrap the nocks on some kites to minimize impact damage to the tips and to cover the tensioner lines that tend to snag on the tips. a roll of say 60yds is about 20$ It is also good for other emergency repairs like camping equipment ect.. while on the road. I always have it in the car when we go camping or to the beach. I've seen the pictures of your atm when it was damaged and used some to cover the trailing edge on either side of the standoffs of my boys atm since he has the black and grey one and is holding up well. That wasn't a repair but a preventative measure.

• Like 1