KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

My poor white and red Indoor Rev. kite. There was some event that I wanted to fly it at on the weekend and Jerry would not be around to paint it. Of course, I painted it. It looks fine in the picture and at a distance, but ugly close up. Jerry Fincher took and painted it over for me. It looks so much better. Thank you Jerry.

He added or replaced bungee on the kite and I’ll check it out this evening. I’m thinking 10 ft. lines. I fly it with kids and other flyers on the floor with me and shorter is safer for me at this point.

I want the kids to move around on the floor when they fly with me.. like Allen suggested, but I have to be sure they stay away from my fly area. The larger the areas the easier it should be.

Lincoln City Indoor Kite Fly THIS coming weekend! Woo hoo~

We have competitions, demo’s, mystery fly, free kite lessons, and a kite show that should not be missed.

"Bellissimo". an Italian influenced "collection of thoughts about life".

The Parks “Aerial Experience Productions “ always put together a beautiful show.

My plan is to have my new Red/Wh/Blue flag on longer lines for Demo. That’s probably under 16 ft. because of the ceilings in my gym.

My Indoor red & white swirl on med. Lines and my black/gold Indoor on short lines for some fun tricks. We’ll see. I need something on the single handle. It’s a fun show. I’d like to get a hold of Elmer’s if he is a sponsor and ask them to set up a Rev simulator on the wall. They make for a fun learning tool. I guess I should work on that. ~ Ken T.. I need to talk to you about a candy drop.

I’m sore from practice. :rev_clockwork:

Guess I better go pack before my fly.

We are going to ~ Woo HOOO~ Lincoln City~ The Oregon coast! Ed’s” An Exceptional Place to B and B’ sits where a small river meets the ocean. The view with seals and eagles and ocean waves is so serene.

It’s right down the beach from Mo’s Restaurant. We’re taking Mom for the shrimp-avocado salad. Better Go~ BB Penny ~ thinking where are my fish sticks? No not food… my 90 degree bent rods for my fish kites.. Where are my fish sticks? The attic?

We're headed to Lincoln City. Would the last one out please turn off the lights? BB Penny

My poor white and red Indoor Rev. kite. There was some event that I wanted to fly it at on the weekend and Jerry would not be around to paint it. Of course, I painted it. It looks fine in the picture and at a distance, but ugly close up. Jerry Fincher took and painted it over for me. It looks so much better. Thank you Jerry.

He added or replaced bungee on the kite and I’ll check it out this evening. I’m thinking 10 ft. lines. I fly it with kids and other flyers on the floor with me and shorter is safer for me at this point.

I want the kids to move around on the floor when they fly with me.. like Allen suggested, but I have to be sure they stay away from my fly area. The larger the areas the easier it should be.

Lincoln City Indoor Kite Fly THIS coming weekend! Woo hoo~

We have competitions, demo’s, mystery fly, free kite lessons, and a kite show that should not be missed.

"Bellissimo". an Italian influenced "collection of thoughts about life".

The Parks “Aerial Experience Productions “ always put together a beautiful show.

My plan is to have my new Red/Wh/Blue flag on longer lines for Demo. That’s probably under 16 ft. because of the ceilings in my gym.

My Indoor red & white swirl on med. Lines and my black/gold Indoor on short lines for some fun tricks. We’ll see. I need something on the single handle. It’s a fun show. I’d like to get a hold of Elmer’s if he is a sponsor and ask them to set up a Rev simulator on the wall. They make for a fun learning tool. I guess I should work on that. ~ Ken T.. I need to talk to you about a candy drop.

I’m sore from practice. :rev_clockwork:

Guess I better go pack before my fly.

We are going to ~ Woo HOOO~ Lincoln City~ The Oregon coast! Ed’s” An Exceptional Place to B and B’ sits where a small river meets the ocean. The view with seals and eagles and ocean waves is so serene.

It’s right down the beach from Mo’s Restaurant. We’re taking Mom for the shrimp-avocado salad. Better Go~ BB Penny ~ thinking where are my fish sticks? No not food… my 90 degree bent rods for my fish kites.. Where are my fish sticks? The attic?

Lincoln City was totally awesome. We all had so much fun. We came together as a team performance and the atmosphere was laid back and pretty stress free. (once I got over my whining.) Each year it gets a little easier.

People in the audience told us repeatedly that this should have been a $45 ticket. Some returned with relatives to catch the next show.

All I know was we had so much fun we would probably have paid to do it.

I wasn't a tipsy gypsy at all, but rather the town sassy gypsy... The look on my husbands face the first time he saw this was priceless. We girls had on long flowing brightly colored skirts, the penny dangled belly dancing type scarves and if you think it's easy to swish your hips and fly a Rev.. you come try it!

The guys hooting and hollering at me in the tavern sink, the girls slapping them around was pretty funny. I don't actually here them because I'm concentrating on the music, but we played. That wasn't so bad... not to say that Steven got use to it... He was tolerant. lol

The funny part was when Bud Hayes and I hook arms and walk away looking into each others eyes. lol That Steve didn't know about! Aww... you just never know where kiting will take you! lol Just to let you know.... Bud and I are through.

Of course I gave lessons.. I even had pictures taken of me giving lessons, and group pictures of tourist that all took a lesson. Did I think to ask to send Rev a Picture so I could talk Ben out of a t-shirt? No... I'm giving lessons and having so much fun... it just slips my mind.

Steven and I have to share our favorite shirt. Lolly sent it to me, and I gave it to Steve... and you know... what is his is mine.... so I wear it when ever I can. Sometimes we hide it from each other... good naturedly. See how coveted those Rev shirts are!

You should read about the show in Kitelife. It was terrific and many people told me the best show yet.

When we drove into town and stopped at the drug store, Steven walked up to me and said," I looked down and there were my wife's legs" Yup, Color photo of Lee Parks and myself. I was spinning in my fire dress and luckily for me I know I was wearing good undergarments because that dress I made was flying as it was meant to!

We have lots of great memories and back stage moments. The last fly past on the last show I thought my skirt was falling off. Luckily I made it back stage and it was only thre britches underneath. lol

Ahhhhwww.. what kites do for you.

The flyers had a phenomenal time. Thank you Deb and Lee for making this happen! You know we love you.

The kids and the adults were all great at this event. We know we'll see some of them w/ new kites and some will just return to watch.

John took first place in the Mystery Ballet. I'm not suire who placed in the competitions. I did not compete this time. Glen, Rachel and Valerie Day will no doubt be putting together some video unless something goes wrong.

Our Bed and Breakfast was beyond perfection.. I've gained 10 lbs even after all that exercise. We had a beautiful reflection of pink mountains for our sunrise and then large snowflakes for our viewing pleasure at breakfast. it was great timing for an indoor fly.

I've got to get back to work.

Check out the contest that Rev has going on in their forum. www.revkites.com

BB Penny

~who wishes she could share so much more of the weekend.

Of course we didn't get any good pictures ourselves either. Here is a picture of the Gondola and Gypsy Kitefliers.

Amy Doran, David Hathaway Todd Rudolph, Paul DeBakker, Penny Lingenfelter, Kelci Hays, Allan Cunningham, Debbie Park, Lee Park, Scott Weider, Lam Hoac and Jeff Reed. Forgive me for misspelling please.

I might get to sneak off and fly this weekend. We have the grandkids, so I might take them to the gym. Meanwhile... I'm wearing my brand new black hoody sweatshirt that says" Lincoln City.. A great place to try new things. and on the back? Oodles of Octopi. I can't wait till the Summer kite festival when the sky shoud be swimming with Octopi.

If you can't fly.. wear your favorite kite gear. BB Penny

I looked at the first post in 04 and it was March 16th. That's about right.. We heard the flu season was almost over and thought we missed it.. or it missed us... wrong! We've been down all week. My big strong husband was out only one day, then he was back at work. Today he's home worse then before. Darn, it didn't miss us at all.

This morning I received an email.

I'm not sure if the indoor flying is available Wed -Sun or just Sat. or Sun. If you are interested, please contact me or AKA Region 10 director Marla Miller.

This from Marla:

Just to let you all know there will be an AKA booth at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. It starts tomorrow April 9th at 10 to 5 Wednesday, Thursday and Friday also. Saturday and Sunday 10 to 6.am Sunday, would be the 13th.

Stop by and visit or if you would like to help let me know.

Marla Miller

region 10

BB

Penny

Tomorrow we'll be at Ocean Shores Elementary School giving an indoor demo. Bud Hayes and maybe even Jerry Cannon should be there to help out. Jennifer Brown set it up and is offering kite lessons after school. Good for Jen!

Then the N.W. Kite league is holding their annual kite meeting and have flown the Gordon boys in to give a seminar. Monica Barber will be speaking on field directing. It should be an informative weekend.

I believe I gave Zach Gordon his first Indoor Rev. lesson at the first Ocean City Kite convention... he was about 3 1/2 ft. tall. lol I'm pretty sure it was him.

I need to get outside and practice for Morro Bay next weekend. So not sure if I will sit inside in the seminar, go outside and practice.. or run home because Steve and I both forgot about our Anniversary on Sat. when we set this up. ;)

Best Breezes

Penny~ looking forward to flying.

I might get to sneak off and fly this weekend. We have the grandkids, so I might take them to the gym. Meanwhile... I'm wearing my brand new black hoody sweatshirt that says" Lincoln City.. A great place to try new things. and on the back? Oodles of Octopi. I can't wait till the Summer kite festival when the sky shoud be swimming with Octopi.

If you can't fly.. wear your favorite kite gear. BB Penny

hugs to you, it sounds like you are feeling better yeahhhhhhhh! hugs mousie

So last Friday we did the indoor assembly at Ocean Shores Elementary. Jennifer Brown, Bud Hayes, Myself, and a cast of about a dz. flew.

Once again a teacher told us how the kids attention was totally focused on the kites. The crowd wanted to know who was in the Grinch costume, but they were so interested I thought it might be fun to keep it a secret, so he kept the mask on. lol There will probably be a few kids that will claim it was them. We stayed after school for a few hours giving the kids kite lessons. We all had a great time.

I stayed in town long enough to have dinner with the Browns. Pam set out a wonderful spread and in walked those young Gordon boys from the east coast. I still picture Zach as the little 4 ft. kid I gave indoor Rev lessons to in Maryland. They both tower over me now. The league brought them in to give a seminar.

I had no choice, I needed to get outside to practice for CA this weekend, so I headed to Westport.

It was amazing. Clouds to the left of me, clouds to the right.. and sunshine above. I never even got drizzled on. The wind was blowing over 10 mph. To much for a standard 1.5, but they are the themed kites I need to use, so I practiced in high winds for hours. OUCHHH! After two days of this.. with a little Rev II flying in there for relief, I was beyond sore. I strained my hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, back to the point it felt sprained. I haven't done that in a while.

Not overdoing it an important safety factor if you want to keep flying. I've been wearing a brace, ice, heat, stretch etc. and I'm going to make it. Bet I don't that for again for a long time.

So I fly to Morro Bay, CA tomorrow and we are going to do another school assembly as well as the Kite Festival. They are so much fun.

Now my problem is; what am I going to wear?! My suitcase is stuffed with costumes and kites. There is no room for clothes, and I might have to wear the cat costume on the plane. lol You think I'm kidding don't you. :lol:

OH, I figured it was time to start promoting. All my invites have been word of mouth, so I contacted a couple of talent agencies and they are very interested. I talked to Jim Barber and he admitted the same problem. WE are kitefliers, not promoters. We need to find the right people for the right job. Cutting Edge should be out there sharing their world class skills. I mentioned them to one of the talent scouts. Who knows what this will lead to.. I just know... I'm not done yet. :w00t:

Here Aiyana, This is the link to the Hot tricks video.

Hot Tricks shoot out competition:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1009485866837776506

BB

Penny ~who talked about indoor kites. :sly:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to busy to even blog about indoor flying. :)

I thought I'd post this and see if you all can view it. I didn't want to post it at all. I sat on it for a month and 3 people have seen it. I just couldn't stand to look at it. There are several mistakes.

The Parks gave us permission to show video and photo's of the show. I have a few pics they sent us, but maybe John will have them in the next issue. I’ll put them on my space soon.

I won't ever try to put in a difficult move during a show ever again. I tried the circle around, 180, 180 walk. It went well the first time, but the second time I think I didn't drop the wing enough.

Sometimes I wish the indoor kite wasn't quite as wide as it is. Still, that's what gives it the wonderful easy lift it has.

This is the tipsy gypsy.. town sass..tavern scene. I don't usually swing my hips like that either! I'm an up and down bouncer not a sashayer.

I goofed the ending. I dont' want to watch! Don't look!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=48...42799&hl=en

Thank you Glen Day for the video!!

Happy Mothers Day.. BB Penny

Oh... umm... yeah... that sucked something fierce.... Penny, THAT WAS AWESOME! :) If I had a tenth of the talent I just watched, I'd be thrilled. Really, truly enjoyed it!

~Dan

Thank you Dan for the kind words. I still don't like to watch it. :P It's lots of fun, but the goofs look goofy. ewwww yuck.. I guess I just forget about the days when all you thought of was just trying to keep the kite to stay up. :) BB Penny ~soar after a wonderfully fun day of playing with kids and kites on sticks indoors all day. It was the third year, and some of the kids think they are getting quite good.

One nice lady braved the crowd of kids to come and say she liked my flying to the Star Spangled Banner Rev Demo. That was taking her life in her own hands.

I could only let about 3 kids fly the Rev. It was just to crowded. As soon as it would get quiet enough for a lesson and we put the rev up, we'd have a group of kids again. Safety First.

I can have about 7 kids at one time in space juuusssst barely big enough. Almost every child flew a diamond kite with tails, a UFO and butterfly with tails. Some came and just kept trading them out. They were wonderful about sharing. The kids ranged in ages between 18 months to -well, adults. It was a "Kids Expo" so mostly kids.

What a fun day. It's going to hurt tomorrow. :) BB Penny

Thank you Glen Day for the video!!

aww Penny that is a greatttttttttttttttt video. I loved that part of the show the best.. you notice I got to sit down lol.. REALLY you did a fantasticccc fly in all the shows...

big hugs

Mousie

Thanks Amy,

I hear San Ramon is a go for you. How exciting! Hope Connor is doing well.

Now, where is your video? I'm sure Glen must have sent you some. Slip it in here girl. :)

OH, I had some of the kids doing the butterfly dance at the Expo. It was such a fun treat for them.

I hope Delta Park was good to you. T called and said it was going to be one day and rain, did I really want to travel that far? Since I was still a little under the weather, I stayed home and rested my body and wrist. It was perfect timing. Today, mostly my feet hurt from the cement yesterday.

Now, I'm going outside to practice.

Hugs to you and that boy.

Here is a picture of Mousie (Amy), Penny and Deb Parks doing the butterfly dance.

Happy Mothers Day!

BB Penny

Actually yours is the only video I have posted. Somebody played with the time machine and set it frantic.

Glenn

aww Penny that is a greatttttttttttttttt video. I loved that part of the show the best.. you notice I got to sit down lol.. REALLY you did a fantasticccc fly in all the shows...

big hugs

Mousie

Thanks Amy,

I hear San Ramon is a go for you. How exciting! Hope Connor is doing well.

Now, where is your video? I'm sure Glen must have sent you some. Slip it in here girl. :)

OH, I had some of the kids doing the butterfly dance at the Expo. It was such a fun treat for them.

I hope Delta Park was good to you. T called and said it was going to be one day and rain, did I really want to travel that far? Since I was still a little under the weather, I stayed home and rested my body and wrist. It was perfect timing. Today, mostly my feet hurt from the cement yesterday.

Now, I'm going outside to practice.

Hugs to you and that boy.

Here is a picture of Mousie (Amy), Penny and Deb Parks doing the butterfly dance.

Happy Mothers Day!

BB Penny

Google seems to be having issues with the video. All I get is this:
We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

~Dan

Wonder if Glenn tried to fix something, or it's related to Kitelife site problems? Or, since there were about 200 views since yesterday, could that be it? I can see it now. BB Penny

Ah, I see the problem, Penny. The link is getting cut. The '...' is showing up in the link when I click it. Try posting it again and put

[url]http://www.google.com[/url]

tags around it like the example above.

~Dan

I was able to copy and paste Glen's URL and see it... was it supposed to be the same gypsy dance video?

~Dan

Yes, Dan, it is the same. I was just using it as a signature to keep it where people who just poke their head in here could see it.

BB Penny

• 1 month later...

I've been so sad, I couldn't even write in Kitelife.

I've been flying for close to 20 years and in all that time I've never had a single kite come up missing, unless I left it in the back of someone's car on the way to a plane. (Thanks Terry Lee)

People are good, or at least 80 % of them. Usually I can find something good in everyone. So I've been shaken to core, my heart feels like it's broken, I'm in complete denial that my Red/White/Blue Custom Flag Indoor/Nowind Revolution kite has come up missing.

I took my three grandkids to open the Crossroads Park in Bellevue (Seattle area) to help people fly kites. It was awesome to see the beautiful manicured green lawn come to life with the color and activity of families flying butterfly kites and little diamonds.

It was difficult handing out kites, teaching untangling tails so no knots were made, warning people the kids had sticks in thier hands.. (There was no wind) and keeping an eye on a 3, 5 and 8 yr. old in the crowd. Scary fun!

I brought the Rev and UFO out just in case, though that was at the beginning, and my flying with grandkids probably wasn't going to happen, but just-in-case. I put the kites in my kite bag and tucked them under the tarp with the other flyers items under a tent.

It was sprinking at the end, so when I pulled my bag out, and noticed it was unzipped, I didn't think much about it, except that hmm, I had zipped it shut. Later, I realized I didn't see the two kites in there. They and 2 ribbons and a butterfly were all that were left in the bag when I was done.

I didn't catch it till on the ride home.. it popped into my head. I didn't see the Rev, or UFO handle w/ line on it. My hope was, they had just fallen out when I dragged the bag out of the pile, and accidently ended up in another kite fliers gear. Hey, it could happen. There were both red/whit/blue like most everyone's gear there. There were only about 4 or 5 kitefliers there, so the tent didn't always have someone at it.

I've been through my gear repeatedly, through my house, incase a child carried them in and set them in a strange place. Still no INdoor Flag REV. I'm so sad~~ I'm fine at work, a little heavy hearted, but when I get home and see kite paraphanila, my missing kite is all I can think about. It's so sad.

We went from the park to the Fauntleroy/Vasion/Port Orchard Ferry dock and never got out of the car on the ferry ride. Straight home and no kites to be found.

I contacted the other flyers and they have been through their bags. I still hold on to some hope that it is mixed up in some ones gear, with their red/white/blue.... it would be the best scenario.

My heart goes out to people who''s gear has been stolen. It really hurts.

Please keep your eye open and pass the word. The kite is the one on my avatar. Maybe I'll attach a picture so it can be copied and pasted.

BB Penny ~who is helping her daughter move this weekend while she dries her tears and misses kite events everywhere!