KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

:D Gosh, I'm having so much fun indoor flying. I get up early to head to the gym before work and fly every morning as I'm preparing for an indoor event at Lincoln City. It's great!

I decided for the month of Feb. and March to pracitice with one style of Rev. for a whole week, and then switch to another. This way I didn't have to carry so much gear, put up several kites and take down to get ready for work in the short time that I had. I had to quit by 7 am. :(

So I praticed with a Revoultuion 1.5. A necessicty for some of my routines. Red/white/Blue tricky, a little heavy, but a wonderful indoor flying kite.

Next I practiced with an Indoor Rev. (I can't wait to get a few years more of that kite under my belt) This kite certainly makes it easy to fly. It does things the 1.5 can't do, but still isn't as versatile to me as the 1.5.

Then I practiced on long lines with the Indoor on my one -handed handles. Awwww I love it! So free, and different. Of course a viewer won't realize the difficulty of flying this kite.

I practiced a stack of Indoor Rev's. Beautiful! No work at all. In fact, what I use to consider exercise can harldy be called so anymore. It's so easy you can sit down and fly them. I laugh out loud as I practice laying down to fly them. Watching video later, you can see how easy it is, how little work it takes. I hardly have to move at all.

Ladies are coming in from their arobics class to see it more and more. :rolleyes: I let a lady try the stack indoor. She did so good her first time! But she made it obvious it's still exercise even though it doesn't appear to be. Making the difficult look easy is what my goals have been about.

I've had to put off my two Rev's at one time till after basketball season. An hour is simply not enough time for all the untangling it takes for that practice! <_< Patience.. means wait nicely. I can't wait to get back to it!

I may not be the best, but I could almost bet money nobody else is having as much fun or personal satisfaction as I am.. :D

Oh, and then I got bronchitis... and I've been sick, sick in bed for the last 8 days and hopefully will be back on the road to recovery in the next day or two. I have so much to do! B) Darn Doctors who don't want to give out antibiotics for 7-10 days! But that's an ugly story..let s stick with flying.

I missed a whole week of flying! I was going to try a week of practice on a stack of indoor kites with my one-handed handles. I can't wait!!

Soon~ I know I'll be flying again soon!! :huh::D

Hopefully everyone is flying enough to make up for my lack of air time. Let me know. B)

Best Breezes,

Penny Lingenfelter

Indoor/Outdoor Kiteflyer

Revolution and Laser Pro Gold~Flying like I mean it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

:) Sorry, I've been kind of busy over at the AOK site auctioning off another Cody and then a move from Eugene to Florence Oregon (in a week I get to move again, still in Florence).

Now lets see, I am going to try and build a Cody, I still have to be able to put at least 10 rods into it so that it will hold its shape and you will fly it indoors? how fast are you able to run and for how long? :(

Now lets see, I am going to try and build a Cody, I still have to be able to put at least 10 rods into it so that it will hold its shape and you will fly it indoors?

If the fabric was light enough could you "stick it" with whisker material? :lol:

That would be so sweet... I've seen mini-codys worthy of Sotich's micro world, and they seem to be darn good fliers with tissue and wood.

1/2 ounce fabric or less, carbon wisker stock... Maybe a 1 to 3 foot wingspan?

I know I'd like one at some point! :lol:

:lol: This may not be good, now you guys have me thinking! (Yah, I know Llamafeller, you can smell the smoke) 1/2 oz fabric with wisper rods on a 4 foot Cowdy and we can hang Bessys bell around Pennys neck while she flys the kite indoors? I want a copy of the picture. I have to check with my fabric supplier and see what he has, I am sure Goodwinds has the rod. :) Penny I am soooo glad I am not you :)

Hey, what do I need a bell around my neck for? My friends do tell me to just "moo" cause I'm so bossy, but how could I sneak up on them with a bell around my neck. loose the bell-Rick. <_<

Watch your back Rick... we'll be sticking a sign on you that says "try me-fly me" If your bridled right we could fly you, ya know. :lol: Though I'm sure we'd have to push you off a cliff to get the right wind. A high cliff.

Really, a light weight cody on line at the end of a banner pole would work I think.

I saw Curtis's airbow (?) on the convention dvd. Awesome. I tried it and it was extremely tiring on the forearm, but he showed that with practice it is almost effortless. Impressive looking.

There's a rumor Sedgwick and Rev. are coming out with a similiar style. I hope so. I want more indoor toys to play with.

BB

Penny

:) Guess I didn't completely explain what I have in mind. I build what I call the Cowdy, it is a small 4 foot Cody, white with black spots and a cows tail. Now if we take the Cowdy and build it out of light weight fabric and spars you could fly it indoors, however I think the bell would add to much weight to the kite so we would put it around your neck instead. Got the idea? :) Oh and by the way, Rick Brown likes to keep his feet firmly on the ground :lol:

You two crack me up. ok.. a costume... :lol: I'm into costumes you know..lol it would be cooler then a heavy cow costume... but how about some overalls and a straw hat. I'm not sure I want to wear a bell. A whole new version of farmer in the dell? :)

I just committed to a festival in Clallam Bay.. Just about as far n.w. in WA as you can go. There are two other wonderful events going on that weekend, but I was offered seafood, and stinging nettle omelot. :) For indoor and outdoor flying. (see I'm still on topic) It's those little adventures that win me over.

Carl I'm going to be checking it out for a kite festival and a winter indoor. It sounds like a perfect place for one and the town would be perfect for raising their own kite flyers indoor and out. I'm excited about it. :rolleyes:

See you at Lincoln city!

BB

Penny still glowing from the fun at San Ramon.. and no that's not sunburn.

Penny, do you think you could take and post a picture of you flying both of your indoor quads together on those single handed dual line handles please? I'd really like to see it. Just wondering.

BTW, Roger will be an the Pincher Creek festival next month. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks

P.

:lol: Since the Codys are lifter kites maybe she could attach the camera to the Cody and fly the Rev. with ...... nope that would still require a third hand. I checked my fabric source and all they have for 1/2 ounce fabric is white which they say is almost transparent, any suggestions where I could get some black and white 1/2 ounce fabric? I still like the idea of the bell that way everyone would know where Penny is at :) Did I understand right, Penny is going to be at Lincoln City on the 26th and 27th? If so I will see you there.

Yes, I'll be there. And we have indoor Rick! After the fly on Sat. we will have dinner at the school instead of Gombergs, and have indoor fly time. I'm looking forward to it.

So you better have a cody (and bell?) ready. hey, white is all good. Craft master paint and you can paint on any color cow spots you want. :)

Mooo... be there or be square............. :lol: That's the bossy coming out in me. :)

BB

Penny

:lol: Oh I am going to be there, nothing is going to stop that. I'm afraid it is a little bit short notice to get a Cowdy built for you unless you want to try using one of my stock Cowdys built with 3/4 oz fabric and dowel rods. :) I'll have to see what I can do about finding that cow bell for you. Are you going to be at Long Beach as well, for WSIKF?

John, I just read your post. Missed it earlier. It would read, "Lingenfelter fly's a camera off her head while she flys two kites at once." No third hand.

That's what you call using your head. :pinch:

Email me about Brookings. Steve & I have different desires on schedule. You better send me your's an Moon's vote.

Have a good time at the Competition. Tell everyone hello. :)

BB Penny

:pinch: HUH? Did I just get royaly ignored???? Getting back to that BBQ idea for Saturday night at WSIKF or Lincoln City for that mater why don't we open it up to anyone from the Kitelife Forum that way we can get John to supply the beer and all we have to do is come up with the burgers. There has to be a camp site someplace up there where 6 people can stand around and drink John's beer and talk all night :D And yes Penny I know about you and Llamafeller and passing around Mr. T (in a bottle) all night long :)

I didn't mean to ignore you Rick. But Beer :pinch:

I'm allergic to the hops. I kinda likem rum & coke. :D

I hadn't heard about the parties yet. I'll miss the parties during the week. :(

WSIKF has the potluck/auction on Sat. <_< Usually we skip the food.... with reason. and show up late for the auction, unless we have family with us. hehehe then we have an excuse to miss it.

Wanna adopt me? :)

BB

Penny

:w00t: WOW! Sounds like this Kitelife BBQ at WSIKF is officially ON! So John as your list of members that will be there grows do you have any thoughts as to where we are going to hold this shin dig? There is always the Beer garden just before you go onto the beach, I am sure they would stay open a little late on a Saturday night so that a group could spend their money on food and beer (sorry Penny, I think you would have to bring your own Rum) or so far I think we could all fit into Johns room at the motel, maybe we could get Penny to jump out of a cake during the gathering to the music "the Stripper", oh and flying an indoor kite :w00t:

Not sure about a location Rick... I'm not very familiar with the surrounding area, I just know the beach and museum pretty much.

The beer garden is an idea, but it ups the budget requirement for everyone... We'd be better off with a 12 pack or three in another spot.

Maybe I can get the "courtyard" area behind the museum for a couple hours one evening... What day are we shooting for here? I could contact Kay Buesing and see if she'd be willing to let us play there, but I need to tell her what night we have in mind, and a secondary in case anyone else has it that night.

As for my room... There will be 4-5 people there already, since I'm borrowing the floor in Troy Gunn and Team TKO's spot at the Super 8.