KiteLife Forum

Watching the kite

Dave362

I think this (at least for me) applies to Revs as well as duals. I've been working on some new stuff and have become aware of an element that is for me critical and I'd like to submit it for discussion. I can shadow practice the inputs for bicycle rotation and have a feel for the timing, but trying it wiith the kite I always fall out of the sky. I've done the slot machine enough to where it feels natural, but unless I'm looking for the exact position of the kite for the second input I always get a tip wrap. One of the very early comete tutorials suggests closiing your eyes and just banging out the move. I've never had any success with that approach. So watching the kite for the timing rather than trying to internalize the rhythm has gotten me a bit further lately. What do you folks think about this? Any moves you can think of in which the timing is variable enough to where you really have to watch for position?

My issue is the bit of time lag needed to digest the next move! Flying in a Rev team, we have fully developed routines, that gives me some structure to work with. And it's no problem if I'm calling - can't make any mistakes up front!!! But free flying requires a bit of listening, then reacting. I always feel about a half second off on stuff. And that is why I pretty much gave up dualies - by the time I recognize the orientation of the kite, should have given it about 3 commands - too late!!

Probably no good that I had a stroke, but it is the best I can do!!

• Like 1

I think it's a great discussion. I get that with the half axle. If I'm watching it, I can get the inputs right. Been trying to learn the cascades of it lately and it's the other way around, I actually need go through the motions before realizing it has the affect, to get the trick right.

• Like 1

I can fly duals by feel, and frequently do fly without looking at the kite. Revs, well, maybe with some more time. I can look away when I'm just simply flying, but something like a clockwork move or a sliding bicycle rotation requires all of my attention & concentration still. I have to remember to stop clenching my teeth at times...

• Like 2

When I'm just going at it on a Rev, usually on short lines, I just flow with the tunes I'm listening to. No set routine or moves. My eyes are only on the kite but I just let sequences occur naturally. Instincts take over to hit a line earlier or delay a little.

I believe most pilots watch the kite but it's less of a conscious effort when you get more experience. There is just a flow that feels natural.

You will get better and better the more you fly. Your style won't change, it will just rise to the surface and become more dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Good stuff -_-

Really watching the kite for when to hit the next input is most helpful for me when working on new tricks. This spring I started working on the comete. When watching other flyers do it, the inputs seemed fairly evenly spaced and really fast. In Randys tutorial he showed images of what the kite should look like for each input. When I began using those postions as cues I found I could get one rotation to end with the wings level. I also found the third input for me came a little later than I thought.

So then I began examining a cronic problem I have doing JLs. I always get the nose out of alignment before the lateral roll to start the next rung. By watching the kite closely, I found I never let the half lazy fully complete its rotation, bringing the "spine in line", to quote John. So then when I pulled to unroll, the kite would unroll off center. So now I wait until I see the spine pointing straight at me before pulling for the unroll. Looks much better.

Obviously, this is different for eveyone, which is what makes a discussion like this so interesting.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what it's called... it's like doing a slide & bicycle rotations at the same time. I've seen videos of people doing it so smoothly, looks like the kite is rolling on the ground, but not touching the ground. I can do one or two rotations, and then either my slide or rotations lock up. Serious concentration... hurts my head !

• Like 1

Try a moonwalk!!! Underturns instead of overturns while travelling!!

Yup, I've been trying the rotations both ways. Also works doing clock-work turns & sliding at the same time. I haven't figured out any slack-line Rev tricks, so stuff like that has been keeping me busy !

I can fly duals by feel, and frequently do fly without looking at the kite. Revs, well, maybe with some more time. I can look away when I'm just simply flying, but something like a clockwork move or a sliding bicycle rotation requires all of my attention & concentration still. I have to remember to stop clenching my teeth at times...

I can only fly the Rev with eyes closed while it has forward motion and line tension, same sense that a dual line provides.

I'm not sure what it's called... it's like doing a slide & bicycle rotations at the same time. I've seen videos of people doing it so smoothly, looks like the kite is rolling on the ground, but not touching the ground. I can do one or two rotations, and then either my slide or rotations lock up. Serious concentration... hurts my head !

Axles on a Rev!! Can be done!

• Like 1

OMG, travelling bicycle while doing shapes ?!? Talk about a 'mindbender' ! Thanks for that, I don't know how I missed that tutorial. Like I said, I can get two rotations on a horizontal pass before my brain melts & my wrists spaz out. I'll be working on that stairstep move next time out !

I've watched the axel tutorial many times, and other videos with the axel, and I just don't get it. As with dual-line kites, something gets lost in my mind between watching the video & getting out into the field. It took me like a year to learn how to axel a dual line kite, probably for the same reason. I'll get it someday...

• Like 2

I've evolved my break down of the Rev axel since that tutorial was made (2007?), and have even learned / adapted a couple new versions including the dive axel and one that comes out of an "upside down snap stall" kind of movement... I'll have to do a new one at some point.

Most of it comes down to the set up, a good laid out float/slide, single strike (and return) on the trailing brake line, lots of slack following, built into a large and slack bicycle movement with the arms.

This morning I was working on putting a flic flac at the fade position in a JL. I like to use the Jacobs Ladder as a study platform for inserting other elements, goal being to get better at stringing together combos. Anyway, the kite I was flying wanted the nose a little higher than normal to get a good flic flac. Once I saw this, when I would pull to unroll the half lazy I would move my hands a bit toward the kite, providing a bit more slack and allowing the nose to rotate past level for the fade. Instantly the combo became smooth and easy. So watching the kite, or in other words paying closer attention to where it is and what it wants allows me to figure out why i'm having trouble with a given sequence. Some great comments in this thread, some implying intuitive flying and flow. Beautiful stuff. -_- My ( hair brained) opinion regarding watching the kite more closely is, it is a tool to use when you want to get past a problem, push through to the next level, that kind of thing. :)

• Like 3