KiteLife Forum

Prism Quantum

Nick Russell

I'm disappointed. I bought a new Prism Quantum and took it out to the beach for the first time yesterday. I've flown my Snapshot 1.9 for two years now and love it, but the Quantum is going to take some getting used to. I crashed it on the sand twice and the long center graphite rod that runs down the spine started coming apart in slivers about 6-8 inches long. I chose this model because it is supposed to take the abuse of a new flier, which I assume also means occasional crashes. Now I'm not sure if I should try to fly it again as is or wait to get a replacement rod.

I'd wait for the replacement rod. That shattering spine could cause serious damage to the sail. Is there a shop nearby that could provide a replacement? If not, Prism is great to deal with in these matters. Just give them a call. I'm sure someone who knows better than me will chime in, but I was sure there was supposed to be some kind of shock system in the spine. The ones I've flown all had them... I think once you get it all sorted out you'll be glad to have it. The Quantum is a really nice flying kite with great presence in the sky. Best of luck with your new kite!

• Like 1

Sorry for your kite, definitely wait for a new spine.

What was the wind speed? True pummel landing? Straight down or coming in at an angle?

+1 on reaching out to Prism, they have a good rep for addressing problems fairly and helping the flier get back airborne.

• Like 1

It was pretty high wind and came straight down on the nose. I'm in Florence, OR now and will be on the coast all summer working our way north, starting with two weeks in Newport this coming week, then to Seaside for two weeks, then three weeks in Long Beach for the kite festival, and then reversing the route south. I'm hoping one of the shops along the way will have a replacement rod if Prism can't get one to me.

Try Kite Company in Newport, probably your nearest "hard core" shop until you reach Vancouver WA.

Breakage sounds reasonable with the right high wind straight in scenario... 50/50 chance anyway.

Holding up to that is generally reserved for the more flexible, $30-$50 kites... Something like the Quantum will take decent thumps, but not for long up against really good high speed soil samples.

Upside again, Prism stuff is easy enough to replace, and not too spendy for that spine rod... You should be back up in the air real soon. ;)

You got off easy, Nick. My first dual, an NTK Diode, ended up with a splintered spine, broken leading edge and lower spreader on the left side by saying "Hello" to a picnic table at full speed. Took a while to get replacements -- not the most common dual out there.

Broke a lower spreader on my Prism Zephyr by spanking it too hard -- had a replacement pretty quick. Prism customer service is awesome.

Nick, I'm sorry to hear about you trouble with the Quantum. I am truly surprised, as I performed a high speed death dive straight into a parking lot with my Prism Mirage (Hypnotist) and it barely got a skuff on it's nose. I thought the kite was going to be absolutely destroyed, and couldn't believe nothing broke. The Quantum and Hypnotist share the same 'kinetic dissipator' in the spine, and I'm sure that's what saved my kite.

If you can find a good shop like the one John suggested, the replacement will be cheap, quick & easy. It's just bad luck, don't lose heart...

Definitely call them and work something out that fits with your travel plans. They bend over backwards to keep their customers happy. I needed a nose repair and they replaced the sail with a demo sail for the same price ($15 including shipping).

I also have a Hypnotist and the first trick I mastered was the lawn dart. Still no damage to the nose or spine. My guess is you either found the only rock on that beach, the spine was defective, or the shock system was not properly set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dove my quantum into blacktop years ago, I kept the splintered rod and just looked at it today, actually it's a white fiberglass rod with the carbon on the outside. My guess it that the rod bent so far it delaminated the outside skin down one side of the rod. If that's the case you might tape the splinters back around the rod and fly it in lighter wind while you're waiting for a replacement rod. But, if the white is shattered too, cut off the good stuff and stick a golf ball on the end and call it a stake or 3 stakes.

I love physics. Hit it just right and you get all of that force straight down the spine. I've been lucky enough to not have broken a spine, but it certainly seems like I've come close. I got really good at throwing my arms out to depower.

• 4 weeks later...