KiteLife Forum

Need to rant?

jeepinjeepin

Man, it's always something. After days of little to no wind we finally had a front come in and give some wind. I went out to fly some and during a walk of shame I caught my brand new 18' lineset in my flip flop and broke it. It's always something.

Lost the upper spreader of my brand new Micron on the beach before I'd even had a chance to put it together, opened the kite, spreader flipped out onto the sand just in front of me ...GONE...searched for ages and couldn't find it! Luckily you can still use the kite without it!

Boy am I glad to hear that others have these sorts of problems too. I had a brand new ABS from Lam - 2 days old - tucked under my arm as I reached into the car for the lines. The wind blew the door shut as I straightened up and my wing tip rods were 2" shorter than they were supposed to be! That was truly painful, but Lam fixed me back up quickly.

You all make me feel a lot better!

Lost the upper spreader of my brand new Micron on the beach before I'd even had a chance to put it together, opened the kite, spreader flipped out onto the sand just in front of me ...GONE...searched for ages and couldn't find it! Luckily you can still use the kite without it!

Got home from a late winter flight & discovered my 4D upper spreader was missing. Next day, while at work day dreaming about kites, I remembered hearing a faint ringing noise as I closed my truck door when leaving the kite field. So I returned that evening hoping for the impossible. Kite spares are hard to come by round these parts. I pulled in a little back from where I parked the day before, got out, glanced down & there it was.....It was the beginning of learning in so many things during those days.

I went to the Monthly Rogue Valley Windchasers Fun Fly this weekend, Beach was packed, Wind was light and I flew for hours , it was awesome !!!
OH YEAH !! The Rant !!

Watched the firework's , went to bed , woke up at the normal 4:30 am, left the hotel with no key, 1 rev kite bag and coffee.
It is normally Foggy , chilly and Zero wind . But I fly anyways...
I had no plans to return, I walk a half mile to the beach, Blue sky, No Fog and Beautiful 8-12 mph Wind... WOW..
Now , I have 4 kite bags at the hotel... single line's, Power kite's, Line laundry, scrub board and my brother in-law.
No cell service, and I am not walking back.....It's Rough
So ... Can you believe it..... I Have to pull out a brand new x-tra vent, that I have had for almost a year and never flown..... AND FLY IT ..
For almost 3 hours ...before the other flyers showed up..
And then it was time to go Home......... Sorry all... no kite breakage... Just a broken Heart, Having to go home!!!

Rant; Newbie Brother in-law - Missed out on the Excellent Wind .
4 bags of un-flown kites
Took video with head mount go pro, and the camera view was not adjusted right, nothing good in the frame !
Had to leave............

"So ... Can you believe it..... I Have to pull out a brand new x-tra vent, that I have had for almost a year and never flown..... AND FLY IT ..

For almost 3 hours ...before the other flyers showed up"

Glad you had the XV and got to fly it!!!

Nobody said this kite flyin' thing would be easy............ :cat_lol:

I put my kite bag in the car when I went out today, thinking I might go fly on my way back. So, I get to the park on my way back, and I realize I forgot my line bag (also containing my sunscreen)......which I had taken out of the closet before I was ready to leave and put in front of my shoes so I wouldn't forget it! :ani_wallbash:

Well, now that I couldn't fly, I continued home, and stopped by the grocery store on the way. I get home and find out that the milk leaked in my car trunk. :thumbdown: At least I put my groceries in the trunk where it is easy to clean up (I have a trunk tray) instead of on the passenger seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Joanna,

what you have here is a country and western song.

I left the house all feelin' fine

got to the field and I'd forgot my line

Went to the store all in a funk

Boo Hoo baby there's milk in my trunk

Boo Hoo baby there's milk in my trunk......

Very sorry..... won't happen again........

• Like 1

Joanna,

It can't be a country song. There's nothing about momma, gettin' drunk, pickup trucks, trains, or prison.

• Like 4

Joanna,

It can't be a country song. There's nothing about momma, gettin' drunk, pickup trucks, trains, or prison.

You forgot a dog, and a river helps sometimes.

• Like 2

Joanna,

Nor Jesus nor love. ;)

But I did get a chuckle out of it.

• Like 1

Joanna,

Nor Jesus nor love. ;)

But I did get a chuckle out of it.

Yes, I did! Love is in the back of the truck and Jesus is on the dashboard.

Joanna,

Very sorry..... won't happen again........sounds like a David Allen Coe song

• 4 weeks later...

Well last week I was trying to repair the leading edge elbow on my prism 3d and managed to punch the le rod thru the pocket in the bottom of the kite. Packed it all up sent it to prism for repair and got it back 4 days later just before my trip to San Diego; unpacked it all and the upper spreader is missing. FACEPALM. I must have misplaced it somewhere :(

A rant with a happy ending:

On Friday I went out to fly at my regular field. After wrapping the lines on the tip, I came to unwrap only to discover I punched a 1mm hole in my ATM (that's big!) and worse, I noticed that all of a sudden the trailing edge on both sides was scorched and the leech line was showing :(

I folded the ATM, and since the wind was already low, I took out my Seven UL. 5 minutes later, trying to do a two point landing, I crashed it into the side of my Jeep. :blue_mad: Broke a lower LE spar and the center T!!! :ani_wallbash:

The Seven was eventually fixable because I had all the parts, but sewing up the trailing edge of my ATM?? It was way over my head. Asking for advice over at GWTW, one of the members connected me with two SLK kite builders, here in Israel, that live 20 minutes from me, which I never knew about. Ended up having a fun visit at their house, with lots of great stories, with the nicest couple you could ever imagine. I never spoke face to face with any other kite flyer before, so this was a great experience, and they also promised to fix my kite. :ani_yahoo:

So all's well that ends well, but actually, for me it's a beginning of being a part of a local kite community (though I'm still apparently the only stunt kite flyer in the country at the moment :cat_shy: )

Here's one of their kites, Eli and Shula Shavit, that appeared on AKA Kiting magazine recently, all different colors are different panels that were sewn together(!!!): IMG_7200.JPG

• Like 5