KiteLife Forum

Gomberg Super Sled?

Dave362

I saw a picture of one of these with the streamer tail, same as my avitar. Looks pretty nice! 40 sq feet, very attractive price. I don't really have anything to lift with it, maye some light duty KAP. I just think it would be a cool kite. What do you folks think?

I have one with matching streamer tail (with rod inserted). I like it enough and it is very near indestructible. I have flown it upwards of 20+ without any worries. Above 10mph will lift plenty of laundry. Maybe its my inland winds. It does struggle to stay aloft sometimes, but most often recovers nicely.

• Like 1

ah, I get it. My mistake. I just think this sled is a cool looking kite that would be fun to fly. Id like to try KAP someday, but that's not the main motivation for getting it, just a possibility. I'm definitely going to get a new SLK next week. Its between this and the Skyform 60. Honestly I think I would enjoy the sled more because its a bit smaller and would likely see more airtime in mmy inland winds. Thanks all, for the input :)

I find the sled type kites give alot more grunt than the flowform or skyform style...

I use the 81 and 36 sled by Premier almost daily.They get stuff in the air when others won't. But prefer the other...less grunt and I think they look better.I would like some skyforms also...60 and 120 for starters. :)

thanks guys. I'll definitely keep that in mind. What I've enjoyed about my Skyform 30 is I can throw it in the car and take it out for a few after dual line flying. In the same winds I would trick in I can simply fly it out of hand. I do, however, anchor it when the breeze freshens. I do like the looks of the Skyform 60, although it wouldn't be the casual affair my 30 is. I've got really good straps and 'biners waiting for it, should it end up in my bag.....

• Like 1

A question about line strength:

The Gomberg site recommends only 100#-200# for the super sled 40. That seems kinda light to me. I'm planning on using 300# line. the skyform 60 is rated for 500#. What do you guys think?

Not too experienced on SLKs, but it never hurt to have several line strengths handy, to cope with the particular day's conditions! Those recommendations might be for any low end winds, I'd have stronger just in case! IMHO, of course!

• Like 1

A question about line strength:

The Gomberg site recommends only 100#-200# for the super sled 40. That seems kinda light to me. I'm planning on using 300# line. the skyform 60 is rated for 500#. What do you guys think?

Hey Dave, As Wayne mentioned, it's always good to have several different line sizes. I've used anywhere from 90 lb up to 250 lb, all depending on the winds. If you got a very light air day, and nothing funky predicted to change that, use a lighter line. It's not much of a factor, if you're only up 50' to 100', but once you throw out 500' +, the weight of the line can start to come in to play. You wouldn't want 500' to 1000' of 300 lb line, hanging from that kite with only 6 - 7 mph winds. Now once it kicks on up to 10 to 15 mph, then you'll want the 200 lb, and so forth and so on.

Good luck........the Super Sled is a sweet flyer, and especially in clean air (like coming off the ocean), it will sit there like a stature. Do add the matching 30' pendant tail. It make the kite seem way larger than it really is. I have anchored that kite in 10 - 12 mph winds, flying no more than 50' - 75' off the ground, and just forgotten about it. I love to put that kite up and then play around it with a Rev. You know, bump, bump, push, push................ :ani_victory:

• Like 2

Wayne, good call, sir

Nick, Thanks very much for lesson! very clear and helpful. I hadn't thought about the additional weight of a long line. I've got a bunch of 150#, 200# and 300#. The 300# is the black waxed line. very nice. After reading your recommendations, I feel all set for this kite. Now watch, I'll spring for a pilot 50.......

This is the best part, the deciding. I think I'll let it last a bit longer. :mf_crackegg:

Wayne, good call, sir

Nick, Thanks very much for lesson! very clear and helpful. I hadn't thought about the additional weight of a long line. I've got a bunch of 150#, 200# and 300#. The 300# is the black waxed line. very nice. After reading your recommendations, I feel all set for this kite. Now watch, I'll spring for a pilot 50.......

This is the best part, the deciding. I think I'll let it last a bit longer. :mf_crackegg:

Oh, and I suppose you know - the braided line is far superior to the twisted line. Twisted line is a pain, and just as it is named - usually twisted and kinked-up. :ani_victory:

Someone put it to me this way: What are you more worried about: the kite or the line? Would you want to trash a $250 kite because you didn't have strong enough line? I have plenty of line at different strengths, but to be safe I go higher on the line. I only make exceptions for when I'm flying things in light wind and even then the lighter line is usually good for what I'm doing.

Tmadz, agreed.

Nick, all my line is braided.

I've been using the 300# for my skyform 30. The lighter stuff so far has only been used on my 10' DDC

I figure the 300# is good for the Super sled. If I opt for a bigger kite, I'll buy a roll of 500#. The Skyform 60 is as big as I will go for now. I'm not much for flying aything in strong winds. So if the kite needs more than 500# in reasonable, say to 15, winds, its too much kite for me. At least for my current level of experience.

Personally, I don't want to be flying anything, that needs 500 lb test line to hold down. I figure if it's necessary to exceed my weight, it's too much kite for me. Don't want to end up in Kansas with Dorthy, or the "Wicked Witch of the West"...............Yikes :ani_giveup:

• Like 2

pulley would be nice. I was actually referring to the larger kites like the 120/250 size. Seems to me a key element is not flying in too much wind. From all accounts, if you have a good anchor, the skyform 60 is pretty manageable.

Since he flies them regularly, I was hoping StainedSkin would take us through his process for bringing down a large kite.