KiteLife Forum

How do you launch a dual line parafoil

j0hncc

I bought a 1.8 HQ parafoil (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301334287281) to introduce friends and others to dual-line in an "unbreakable" way.

Well it's pretty easy to fly except for the launching. Is there some trick to it? The best I can do is just randomly pull on this/that/the other until I get lucky and it gets some air.

Cheers,

John

If you're flying on a beach, it's pretty easy, with the belly of the kite facing up, trailing edge towards the pilot, put a bit of sand on the trailing edge. Pull the lines slowly & evenly, and the kite will stand up, ready to launch. A slight, even tug on both lines, and away you go !

If you're flying on a field, you'll have to substitute the sand for something else slightly heavy. I carry a few stones (from my beach) in my foil bags in case I get stuck flying in a non-beach environment where there isn't sand readily available...

• Like 2

Sorry, I should have said "re-launching" -- launching is easy enough...

But when I or my trainee lands/crashes/rolls up into a random ball on the ground, is there any methodical process for getting it into a launchable position and re-launching. I noted that the cartwheel definitely does not work :cat_shifty:

OK... I get it. The answer to that... just randomly flail and it should pop back into the air if the wind is strong enough. I know that's a bad answer, but it works for my son (7 yo) and his Snapshot 99% of the time. Tug one side or the other... :cat_shocked:

• Like 1

I yank hard on one line (depending on which side of the wind window) to sort of twist the parafoil around. It will start to inflate on one side and usually fills up oriented sideways. Then I pull on the lines to get it to take off. Provided there is enough decent wind to fly it, those sails fill pretty easily. It just takes some yanking around to get the sail to reorient from facing down and fill. I like the foils when I want to just zip around because I usually never have a problem getting it back in the air.

• Like 1

I always felt doing the walk of shame was the best way to relaunch. trailing edge forward, bridle over the top. Back Back Back puff! It's up and flying.

But the walk of shame is a teaching tool too. And it avoids wear and tear. And teaches the student to never do that again, after a few times of course.

• Like 1