KiteLife Forum

added a nym and b-pro the my bag this week...

mr70ss

Well I've been spending the last week here on the Oregon coast and made the mistake of going to the lks every day. Been flying a 1.5 sle standard (w/ black race frame) and a 1.5 sle full vent and been having a ball. But i wanted a kite to fill the single vent hole I had in my current collection. Ended up picking up a single vent nym and wow I'm very impressed with how it feels so locked in and butter smooth! So by the end of the day the winds picked up so I had to put the new sail away and break out the 1.5 sle full vent. I instantly wanted to go back to the nym, but didn't want to chance it. Ended my day with the winds gusting 30 and put everything away. Stopped back in at the lks and was ready to purchase a 3 vent nym, but they had a b series pro xtra vent... Ended up getting it and as luck would have it winds were 18 to 25 today. Just got back from the beach and love the xtra vent. Maybe it's me but I swear it's the easiest rev to fly that I own, with the nym being second. Makes me wish I had gotten into the b series / b pro's sooner. I didn't really think there could be much of a difference, boy was I wrong!

• Like 3

Hi, mr70ss, and welcome to the forum. Any questions you have about any kind of kite will be answered here, single, dual, quad and everything else.

Yes, the vented kites are smoother than a full sail. With time you'll find yourself flying that 1-vent nym in 2-4mph winds, and really loving it. The extra-vent B-pro will handle up to 40mph and probably more. I prefer flying a kite that I don't have to fight to control. Just enough pull to let me know it's there is plenty for me. I have the full set of Pros, including the Zen, but only the full sail nym. Even the full sail is smoother than the SLE and the Pros. I'm thinking of getting the full set of nym vents next.

Have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

EXPs, SLEs, "B"s, and "B" pros are all 1.5s. In fact all the frames will freely interchange between all those sails.

The difference you feel, is the vertical channeling incorporated in both designs. The "B" introduced this, the pros carried it further. Part of why the pro flies so much better, is that Bazzer (the maker) takes the time to orient the fabrics to get the best stretch from the entire sail. His attention to detail sets his work apart.

The NYM uses some of the ideas from the "B" series - vertical layout and progressive venting, along with the folded LE pocket found on the pros. Only flown one for a short time, not long enough to make a fair comparison.

PS: it is rumored that Bazzer sprinkles a bit of fairy dust on every Pro made!

• Like 1

Yup, Rev vents are really nice! We are fortunate to live where we fly vents way more than our standards.

Wayne Dowler said it best: "Like Buttah!!!"

As far as range, Mark may have the top end of the XV a bit more than we fly our XV's, even with a 4 wrap:

"The extra-vent B- Pro will handle up to 40 MPH and probably more" :cat_goofy:

We started on XV (w/ 4 wrap) on the Oregon coast at Rockaway Beach yesterday, got blown off and headed North to Sunset Beach to find less wind. Flew mid vents until 8:00.................a very nice day indeed!

Yup, Rev vents are really nice! We are fortunate to live where we fly vents way more than our standards.

Wayne Dowler said it best: "Like Buttah!!!"

As far as range, Mark may have the top end of the XV a bit more than we fly our XV's, even with a 4 wrap:

"The extra-vent B- Pro will handle up to 40 MPH and probably more" :cat_goofy:

We started on XV (w/ 4 wrap) on the Oregon coast at Rockaway Beach yesterday, got blown off and headed North to Sunset Beach to find less wind. Flew mid vents until 8:00.................a very nice day indeed!

I did have my x-vent out this year in April in winds of 35mph, Beaufort scale 7, near gale -- gusting to 40+ -- on 4-wrap uprights, SLE leading edge and maximum brake setting, with no ill effects to the kite. It was bowed, but not to the point where I would be concerned about snapping the frame. It did pull quite a bit more than what I prefer, but not enough to make control difficult, and the extra-vent does pretty much make gusts a non-factor, even at that speed. It wasn't something I would recommend for beginners, but it was worth the experience.

A few years back I flew my standard sail SLE in 25-mph+ winds with no problems. It was the only Rev I had back then, so I had two choices -- fly or watch. I chose to fly. Control was very difficult, but not impossible, and definitely not enjoyable. However, the kite handled it. Revs are a tough breed and will handle more than what is recommended. That is a good characteristic for any kite to have.

• Like 2

When comparing models side by side, listen for undue "flutter" or sail rattle, also keep one eye toward wrinkles in the sail in mid-flight.

If the trailing edge is fluttering even while you have enough brake in the tuning, wind is spilling, or something isn't being held tight.

If the fabric shows wrinkles during flight, it's not well pressurized in that area of the sail.

• Like 1

When comparing models side by side, listen for undue "flutter" or sail rattle, also keep one eye toward wrinkles in the sail in mid-flight.

If the trailing edge is fluttering even while you have enough brake in the tuning, wind is spilling, or something isn't being held tight.

If the fabric shows wrinkles during flight, it's not well pressurized in that area of the sail.

Once you get how this happens and you can correct it, it will make a big difference in your flying. Took me a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can't be corrected in some sails, has nothing to do with tuning and everything to do with paneling and/or how flat the sail is when sewn.

That's actually quite good to know. I just thought it was me!

It can't be corrected in some sails, has nothing to do with tuning and everything to do with paneling and/or how flat the sail is when sewn.

That's actually quite good to know. I just thought it was me!

I have noticed, with some of my home-made sails, that the amount of "bow" (arc) designed into the leading edge will affect how well the sail "drapes" over the frame with any particular panel layout, and the sweet spot will vary from zero to 1 inch of deflection. I'm trying to establish a clear relationship between the amount of deflection and the panel layout and/or fabric orientation that would help in the calculation of the ideal amount. So far, it eludes me, but I am sure that there must be some correlation. Some sails like less, some like more. It can't be a random phenomenon.

• Like 1