KiteLife Forum

Rev Backtracker

Ken

Advice? Invest in another rev? lol Sorry, it was a good idea gone bad for Rev. and like a red headed step child they don't talk about it much.

They actually can be a good kite with; real handles, longer lines, tails and decent wind.

It does take more wind and it is squirrelly, however you can slow it down and it is doable.

Start with a power launch. 1) tight lines, 2) long arms and 3) one foot behind you. Step back while you pull the handles back pointing the bottom of the handles up. Put some power into it. You want to be stonger then the wind. Stepping back will make it easier in the beginning as you will create lift.

To come down, push down on both thumbs, rotating your wrist to pull back on the bottom of the handles, too.

If the kite falls out of the sky, you are overcontrolling and pulling it out of the sky. Keep it laying down on the wind window to start with. If your not pulling it out of the sky, there's not enough wind.

Push turns, or pull turns to start with. That's enough for today. If this confused you go take a look at their web site. www.revkites.com I think.

It's a good toy, but trust me you'll want better.

BB

Penny

• Like 1

My hair is NOT red auburn... and those freckles... beauty marks... all of them! lol

oh, and the rev. back tracker..... uhmm, Can't think of anything to say about it.. but I mentioned it so I'm still on topic.

Take that monkey boy! Amy, throw something at him for me please.

BB

Penny

I had a Back Tracker for a couple of months and it reminded me somewhat of an over-controlled Rev 2. I flew it with Rev 2 handles and 85' 100# blueline. It could easily have flown on lighter lines, but I needed the full length lines.

It seemed a little "top heavy" to me. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Maybe that's because I had trouble standing it up prior to launch.

It really was fun to fly except, like Penny said, it tended to fall out of the sky at the edges of the wind window. Oh, that's not exactly what she said.

Anyway, here's a pic of mine (but notice the slack lines). See, I can fly it!!! :shifty:

Doug

post-13-1129256537.jpg

I believe you Doug!

I'm not sure I would go to 100 ft. Unless your in a lot of wind, you'll probably have lag in the line. 75-80 ft. at least 80 lb. Laser Pro lines will do ya.

Ha! I have brown hair today and I'm on subject! lol

Doug, you said you had trouble stanind it up? They should be parked upside down for safety. Oh, so maybe we need to teach him to turn it over?

BB

Penny

I can't remember why I didn't launch it upside down. That's the usual way I launch my Rev's. I think the wind was really low; almost too low for a Rev that small.

Yeah Monkey Boy. It was high up. (you give me too much credit -- I can't do PhotoShop that well) But you can see how the lines were dragging!

The Backtracker was fun. Like all Rev's. But just not fun enough for me to keep.

BTW, I bought a Sonic Vented when I was at the beach a couple of weeks ago. The wind then was up to 25-28 mph. Now that was FUN!!! :shifty:

Later, Doug

post-13-1129513326.jpg

• 7 years later...

Penny and all - agree with everything you've said, but hate to toss good ripstop, so reframe it in Carbon and I think you'll find it a much nicer fly! Fiberglass/Glasspar is for SLKs!!

• 1 year later...

Awesome, I have 2 back trackers but they have different bags. One is brand new/ never flown but defiantly not the original bag and the one I bought yesterday has a different bag than the first one, so confused. Neither are what you are describing but sounds like that bag would not last if it was like the cheap clear plastic bags we are used to. I wonder if there is a way to find instructions for this kite -Meaning are handles supposed to stay attached and it just folds up, rolls up together and slides in bag? I think that is what I will do with the one I will fly, I want to to be an easy process for this kite as I wont use different length lines like on one of my "b's". I really like this kite. Probably the most fun I have had on a Rev in a while, It was just different. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

I don't believe this backtracker was taken out of the bag, the bag is in super condition, a heavy duty clear vinyl like down comforters come in and you store them in when not in use. The lines are attached to the kite and are flat wound around each handle separately and resting on the folded kite brake end to brake end of the handles forming a triangular space when the 2 handles touch each other. There is still the original piece of tape holding the sleeved line over the word MED on the handles with the black mark at LIGHT. I didn't take out the owner's manual as I'm sure it won't mention setup or breakdown. But the Flight Instructions card shows 3 revs in the 6th box and says Stack Sportwings For More Fun!

Wow super cool, sounds like yours is about as brand new as you can get. Thanks for all the info, hmm stacking. I have only seen 2 of these for sale ever and I was able to purchase one, I have only seen 2 of these in person and they are the 2 that I have purchased (made on offer on the beach yesterday and they took it). Maybe I need to look for a B'2 or something if I like these smaller Revs. Thanks

I don't remember the bag mine came in, but it was set up to leave the lines attached, wound on the handles, and stored as a single one piece unit! You could put the winders together, wind the lines to the kite, breakdown the kite, put everything in the bag!