KiteLife Forum

What makes a kite a good trickster?

Brilongenecker

So I haven't been able to fly it yet, but I just got my Kymera in the mail today. Really excited to get it in the air. As I was assembling it this afternoon I noticed how similar it is in shape and weight to my Quantum. Which made me think, why is it or any other high end kite that much better at tricking than other low end kites. I realize weight and shape play a part and probably also frame rigidity. What else am I missing. Don't get me wrong, the Kymera is beautiful and it's evident from videos I've watched that it's very capable (even if I'm not yet) of anything you wanna throw at it. But why? Maybe this is a pointless question but I'm just curious. Thanks for any comments!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Both the Quantum and Kymera are of high quality, and both very capable of tricks. The Kymera is going to trick better, or easier. Very subtle differences between the kite dictate that, a little wider, a little shorter, the sail might be a little deeper. But why are these kites better than a low-end kite ? Low end kites (not either of yours) suffer from lower quality materials and inconsistent builds. If you're comparing the Quantum to the Kymera, you'll find that the Q does some things better than the K-kite. The Q will bounce off the ground better when you crash, for example. A crash that might kill the Kymera will make the Quantum pop up and ask for more. The Quantum will pull you around better in a high wind... But, the Kymera is more refined and will more perform the subtleties of trick flying better. Not that the Quantum can't trick, the Kymera is more forgiving and will more easily fly tricks.

Fly them both. When you feel like beating on something, or the wind is a little high, fly the Quantum. If the wind is lower, or you want to learn some tricks, the K-kite is the better tool.

I have both kites, too. I fly the Kymera, and offer the Quantum to interest bystanders. The Quantum is tough to break, so I don't worry if a new flyer nose-plants it a few times.

• Like 4