KiteLife Forum

john barresi revolution, which one for a first quad line?

Damien

Hi,

i'm new here, so thank you to accept me here.

My name is Damien, i leave in China since 5 years now.

During summer holidays in France this year, i got the chance to try a revo at Penvins festival.

It was a good experience and completly different compare to my power kite.

So now, i look for a revo quad line.

But which one will be better for me?

the wind is not so strong here.

Size, vented or not, lines...?

Thank you for your help

Really open ended question. I would recommend looking these over and see if your questions are answered. Then maybe a more focused question might help

http://www.revkites.com/forum/forum/27-buying-your-first-rev/

http://kitelife.com/forum/forum/13-quad-heads/

Hi,

thank you for the input.
and sorry for the late answer.

reading some notes
there are different solutions,

i like the solution of Nick Russel here to get it as gift for his birthday in october 2013
http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5641-first-rev-what-to-buy/
this is not a good solution for me as i have to wait for 8 month. no way :cat_shocked:

i spent the week-end with my daughter (5 years old) and all our kites (1 and 2 lines).
headache to fly with only 3mph of wind max. :ani_wallbash:

Playing with kites weight, lines and/or surface to find the best solution but it was fun.

this wind speed is a point here.
it seems that b2 standard or b-serie standard could be a solution.
low wind speed but i will still be able to fly during typhoon season with 2 frames.

sizes are different
better to get the smaller (72p) or the larger(91p) ?
it seems the smaller is a formula1 compare to the larger, so maybe too fast for beginner.
but if i use longer lines, it will change it.
but i don't know if it will fly slowly and become worse in reactivity or the opposite ?

Thank you for your help

Basically, the sail must be able to lift everything attached to it: frame, bridle, hardware, lines and itself. Adding weight slows it down, subtracting speeds it up.

One kite will not cover all wind speeds. Best choice for any beginner, anywhere in the world, is the 1.5 SLE Standard Sail. It comes with two different leading edges that will allow you to fly in wind from 6 kph to 25 kph, and will withstand a beginners crashes fairly well, unless you constantly hit hard objects at full speed. The best wind speed range for learning to fly any quad-line kite is roughly 8-20 kph. The first few times you fly, be sure the wind is in that range. If the wind is not in that range, learning will be VERY difficult! You will spend more time walking to and from the kite than flying it. Go to any kite festivals you can get to and ask for help from experienced pilots. Kiteflyers everywhere are friendly and enjoy helping others learn. They will even let you take their kite for a "test drive". Ask for help, don't be shy -- we want to help you learn.

The smaller kites are VERY fast and don't give you much time to think and react until you have basic control, which will take from 3 to 20 hours of flying to become familiar with, and two or three times as long to master. Some people learn quickly, some take very long, most of us are somewhere in the middle. Long line will slow the kite and give you a larger "wind window" in which to fly. Short lines make things happen much faster and increase the possibility of damage to your kite. When you are beginning, longer lines will not slow down a fast kite enough to be of much use. Don't worry about performance at this time; most beginners can not feel the difference until they have been flying for a season or so. Remember, the frame goes on the back of the kite. Don't fly in typhoon winds until you know what you are doing -- not fun, plus you can hurt someone. Be safe, stay away from power lines, trees, objects that can cut your lines, and people.

Most important -- have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1