KiteLife Forum

Where to buy a second hand Rev sail ?

swifty_canada

With the 2 sails - you should have most winds covered now. Not the extremes on both ends, but just about everything in between.

What frames do you have? 2, 3, 4 wrap cover most all ranges. Or substitute a black race frame for the 2 wrap. Just be aware the race frame flexes and rebounds differently than the "wrap" frames. Not bad, just different!! Some like them, some don't - it's personal like, over just going with what you hear! Also remember, you can put any of the 1.5 frames in any of the 1.5 sails! I don't however, suggest using a 4 wrap in a std, it will put the sail in too much wind and possibly stretch it. Once stretched, it won't return to original shape! Rather if you feel a 4 wrap is needed in a std, put up the vented instead.It will handle the winds much better!

Thanks for the reply. I have 3 and 4 wraps now and intend to keep the 4 in the vented sail.

I will see how things go then may be considered a lighter frame for the un vented sail on really calm days.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The lighter frame would be very helpful in 2-6 mph winds. Not only because it weighs less but also because it flexes more allowing wind to fill the sail properly, which in turn provides more lift. Lift is what makes it fly, which is partially accomplished by adding brake. It sounds counter-intuitive, but actually works because it keeps more wind pressure in the sail as opposed to letting the wind "slide" off the sail. Like Wayne said, a 2-wrap or black race frame will improve low-wind performance. Which you will like better depends on whether your flying style is slow and graceful, or fast and crisp. The black race frame has a quicker response time from flexed back to straight. As a beginner you may not even notice the difference. Fly other people's kites and check out what they are using to get an idea. If you can't do that, then just go with what you think will work for you. The kite will fly well with either one and further on down the road you may develop a preference.

As far as stretching the sail -- yes, a stiff frame in very strong winds will stretch the sail prematurely, but it will stretch given enough time anyway. It will still fly like a Rev when the sail has stretched, but will only hinder an advanced flyer who is trying to fly with a team in demos, or in competition. Again, as a new flyer you probably wouldn't notice.

Having said all that, the thing you want to pay most attention to is getting out there and flying your kite. Disregard all this stuff for now, it will become obvious to you eventually. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

The lighter frame would be very helpful in 2-6 mph winds. Not only because it weighs less but also because it flexes more allowing wind to fill the sail properly, which in turn provides more lift. Lift is what makes it fly, which is partially accomplished by adding brake. It sounds counter-intuitive, but actually works because it keeps more wind pressure in the sail as opposed to letting the wind "slide" off the sail. Like Wayne said, a 2-wrap or black race frame will improve low-wind performance. Which you will like better depends on whether your flying style is slow and graceful, or fast and crisp. The black race frame has a quicker response time from flexed back to straight. As a beginner you may not even notice the difference. Fly other people's kites and check out what they are using to get an idea. If you can't do that, then just go with what you think will work for you. The kite will fly well with either one and further on down the road you may develop a preference.

As far as stretching the sail -- yes, a stiff frame in very strong winds will stretch the sail prematurely, but it will stretch given enough time anyway. It will still fly like a Rev when the sail has stretched, but will only hinder an advanced flyer who is trying to fly with a team in demos, or in competition. Again, as a new flyer you probably wouldn't notice.

Having said all that, the thing you want to pay most attention to is getting out there and flying your kite. Disregard all this stuff for now, it will become obvious to you eventually. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

Thanks for the detailed explanations, two things I really dont understand ..

(1) How a stiff frame in a strong wind will stretch the sail, Surely with less give in it the sail will be kept flatter as the frame is stiffer ? Both you and Wayne have said that you wouldn't recommend using a 4 wrap in a strong wind. Were saying was that a NON vented with a stiff 4 wrap frame (making it possible to fly) would then stretch the sail ?

(2) It was mentioned that brake increases lift. I assume this is achieved by adding another cord to the top handles and lengthening the top lines. Is that what you meant ? because I cannot for the life of me see how that works as when I have lift and flying dead straight ahead, applying brake (pulling on bottom handles) causes the kite to fall vertically downwards, ie losing list..

Thanks again gents..

Yes a strong frame (4 wrap in a std non- vented sail) means that the sail has to absorb all the pressure, the frame very little. That's why you usually see pix of Revs with a bit of bend in the LE. That bent LE actually helps the kite to take pressure and convert it to lift. Having no flex in the frame means that the sail does all the work, and therefore can stretch, because there is no give in the frame.

Adding longer leaders to the top of your handles can let you "square up" the sail to the wind. As they come from the factory, the kite is almost locked into the "drive" position. Ever have a gust come along and just make your kite take off? Longer leaders that allow you to lengthen the top lines, help end this problem. They allow more control - a big selling point with Revs!

Here's some info on this idea:

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4409-my-leaders-your-thoughts/

• Like 1

Yup, completely counter-intuitive! Both stretch and brake. Don't worry about it too much, just fly. Yes, lengthen the top leaders, you will use more brake eventually, the sooner the better.

The easiest way to see brake is like this: 1. -----------------------\ 2. -----------------------| where the slash is the kite, dotted line is your lines, you are the number, side view. When the top of the kite is tilted toward you, the wind "slides" toward the bottom of the kite. Hold your hand out of a car window at 50 mph. Which causes more pressure? Hand held flat against the wind, or angled? Same thing with the kite; more push = more lift.

• Like 4

In a strong wind, if you fly for a while, the fabric on your sail will stretch a bit. Sorta like the stretch in the sail I sent you. But after a couple hours it tightens back up and the sail is flat again. After a ton of flying in strong winds, the stretch will stay. None of my kites are stretched yet, and I fly a lot.

If you tried to fly the rev with the top lines only, it would just flop around. It's not until you apply some brake, to get the sail trimmed right, that you get lift. Adding more brake slows the kite down.

But that's no fun. I say pedal to the metal. Learn to zoom.

Just want to say, I have nothing to add so far. :)

I'm awed by everyone's collective knowledge, terminology and ability to relate / describe these concepts (brake, trim, stretch, flex, loading)... And always with that lovely "taste 'em all and craft your flavor" attitude - bloody spot on, thanks for the great questions and answers (both sides)!

• Like 2

Seems like everyone starts with a good amount of forward, it's because of the thought of the leading edge, like an airplane wing has a leading edge. But who ever saw a plane flying in reverse? And why think of flying a kite in reverse, kites go up not down.

Swifty, start with a lot of forward and enjoy and play with the kites. Not one of us can fly a rev forward in the longest part of the window, at the ground level all day, unless the kite is turned around for lift, or we have so much forward place on our handle's leaders.

A big thing with flying forward/top heavy with the weight of the leading edge above, compared to flying bottom heavy/reverse/pulling the leading by hovering it by lift, is all good. But there isn't a rev/quad flier that can fly/float back and forth at ground level with the leading edge facing up unless they're running like the dickens to keep it in the air.

You're flyin' fine! Enjoy what's in front of you!