KiteLife Forum

Bit of advice for the new guy

Eamonn127

Hi all. Wondering if anybody could help.

Looking to pick up a relatively in expensive foil for me and the Mrs to use at the weekends. I've been looking at the following: prism snapshot and synapse 1.4, peter Lynn hype 1.3 and the HQ symphony beach 3 in 1.8 and 2.2.

What would be the best of the above and what's the difference between them? All look the same!. I'm looking for something with a bit of pull but also some thing for most wind conditions. 2.2 too big for newbie?

Sorry for soooo many questions and cheers in advance.

There are 4 sizes of the Snapshot. Of course the bigger they are, the more they pull. Also, the smaller ones are faster. I would pick the 1.4 or 1.9 in that series. I actually I picked the 2.5 for more pull, but haven't been able to fly it yet.

My wife, at about 110# has flown a Tantrum 250 at Jockeys Ridge on a mild-normal wind day. It probably would have dragged her around in higher winds. So either of the tantrums would be fine.

On the Synapse I'd shy away from the smallest one because it is supposed to be pretty fast, but I've not flown any of them.

Where are you at? Do you often have steady winds, or will you be fighting against low winds?

Also, you pretty much can't go wrong with any that you've listed in your post, so it basically comes down to the amount of pull and the color scheme that you like. A good all-around fun size is anything near a 1.8, and a good all-round fun color scheme is . . . . . . . .

Have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

Cheers for the advice so far! I'm flying inland here in the UK. Wind is pretty steady as far as I know.

Is the 1.4 snapshot going to pull at all?

Is the 2.2 going to be to much?

I'm about 14.5 stone so not a particularly small person but the Mrs is quite a bit lighter and I'd like her to enjoy flying it too.

I have the smallest of the HQ Symphony Beach's, think it's 1.3 or 1.4. It is great value. Even my kids fly it. Pull is very light so I'd prefer a bigger size. The finished product is really good.

Haven't seen or flown any of the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 10 stone and ok with anything up to about 2.4 in wind up to 12 mph. It is a compromise among speed, lift and power. If the kite will be used by two or more flyers of varied stature, choose something in the middle of the range, for obvious reasons. That's why I prefer 1.4-ish. Less pull, fast and anyone can fly it. Can be slowed down using longer lines, or flying in lesser wind.

I'm 10 stone and ok with anything up to about 2.4 in wind up to 12 mph. It is a compromise among speed, lift and power. If the kite will be used by two or more flyers of varied stature, choose something in the middle of the range, for obvious reasons. That's why I prefer 1.4-ish. Less pull, fast and anyone can fly it. Can be slowed down using longer lines, or flying in lesser wind.

10 stone ?? Are you an ex pat.. only a Brit would describe his weight in stones !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all thank you for all your advice. Picked up a symphony 2.2. Had it out in some light winds the other day was great fun! The Mrs enjoyed it too which is a plus!

Down side... I want a bigger one now lol. Hornet 3 4m or beamer VI 4m? Size too big?

• 2 weeks later...

Eamonn,

I recently went through what you are describing. bought a snapshot 1.2 for fun quick reaction dual line learning and got a symphony pro 1.8 shortly after because I was hungry for more. I enjoy them both but, wanted some power and wanted to learn 4 lines. I picked up a used Peter Lynn hornet 4M WHAT A BLAST!!!!!

The key i have learned is that you need to know your limits and which kite fits the wind for the day. Trust me and others, heavy winds and a big powerfoil will carry you across the lawn but brakes help make it manageable, know your limits and have fun!!!

T