KiteLife Forum

Sacramento Area Flying?

Greg Brouelette

Has anyone flown in the Sacramento area? I live about 50 miles up the hill in the woods where trees block everything. I'm looking at Google maps and wondering if there can be good flying conditions in places like:

Discovery Park (looks like it may have lots of trees)

Del Paso Park (Trees again)

Sutter's Landing Regional Park (On Google Maps it looks brown and barren, but very open)

Maidu Park (looks promising)

I'd appreciate any local knowledge you may have.

Greg

Welcome GregB.... as I recall, but this was in the eighties when I would visit the old port and ship channel, the wind would be pretty strong in West Sac, and the pocket area, I'd fly off the Transom, since then I am told the area has grown and neighborhoods dot many of the old sites... not many parks with no trees cause of the heat in the valley...you might try Carmickel west side of Folsum Lake cause there are sandy beaches and it is closer to the foothills. But for sure afternoon breeze off the delta are quite the storm up to twenty ... and more at times...

Discovery Park has an airport just east of it -- Big NO on that one!

Excellent Point!

I found a soccer field in Auburn Ca just about 15 miles away from my house. The wind was blowing up in the parking lot but it was slow and changing directions on the field. I did get my 20 year old Action Kite "Dart" up in the air and it felt just like I remembered it, slow and sluggish. I moved the bridle point up about an inch to point the nose into the wind a bit more and that helped. At least I got out and flew for the first time in, . . . what . . . maybe 15 years? I certainly haven't flown since moving up here to the mountains.

As I was winding up the line I noticed something. The sticker on my winder said "Sport Lines. 90' 150# " What the heck am I doing using 150# line in light wind? No wonder it's sluggish. But that's the only line set I have. So I just ordered a set of 50# lines at 90' long. Now let's see what that old kite can do.

And just to show how obsessive I've become, I just bought the Kymera that Brilongenecker had on sale in the "Kites for sale or trade" section. He's including a set of lines as well so I should be well set up when that arrives.

I do have to say, even though I haven't flown in over a decade it all came back to me. Even though I was just sliding the kite back and forth doing the occasional loop and testing the wind window it all felt very natural. Wow, what a blast.

Hi Greg, and welcome. I realize this may be a bit far for you, but there's a big sports park in Ripon where people in that area fly. It's called Mistlin Sports Park. Lots of sports fields. Sometimes lots of ball games too. There used to be a roughly monthly "Ripon fly" there, schedule permitting. I'm not sure if they're still going on since I've only been once (I'm about 80 miles away from there). My impression is the winds are also on the lighter side, so might be best to get some input from the locals before you make a trek out there. Not sure if they frequent this forum though; I can try to help if you are interested.

• Like 1