KiteLife Forum

What is the best lifter ever if I need huge power and stability ?

Hey Guy...

I find that the Power Sleds (24, 36, 81) Offer amazing bang for the buck. I never had a Power Sled crash (so to speak), but I did have one break a 300# line. I guess it eventually crashed, but it blew out of sight before it did !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sleds are very stable and the larger ones generate quite a bit of pull. I helped a guy bring down a 36 at WSIKF this last year, and was surprised at how much pull it generated. The wind was at 12 - 14 and we used my pulley carriage to walk it down, (It would have been really tough to walk it down by hand). I fly mostly Parafoils for supporting line laundry and have used 300lb ONLY a few times with a smaller 60 sq ft Parafoil. and in lighter wind. I would suggest using no less then 500 lb for the 24 but stronger line is better. I now use 1/8th Amsteel on my lifter kites that is rated at around 2500 lb breaking strength. The 7/64 is rated at 1600 lbs. This stuff is really tough and it is much lighter then braided Dacron. If you are thinking of a sled kite in the size of a 36 or 81 you should think about getting this line to fly with, or at least 1,100 lb braided Dacron.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
19 hours ago, Guy Capra (Alomphega) said:

Hi vnkite, and thank you very much for your advice, but I do not know this "Trilobite" kite, so please could you send a link showing one ?

Trilobite kite is in the video:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GammoRay said:

I have a Tony Killip 90 (Premier) that is a great showpiece and a monster lifter! I've had it a year and I am thrilled— it pulls like a truck and is as stable as a rock! Image1467313292.274957.jpg

DANG ... the bold line ... just for a light wind ? ... dang !!!

Killip Foil Kite 90 - Rainbow Orbit

Item: 12791

Size W x L: 102 in. x 126 in. / 8 ft. 6 in. x 10 ft. 6 in. / 2.6 m. x 3.2 m.>
Tail W x L: 97 in. x 984 in. / 8 ft. 1 in. x 82 ft. / 2.46 m. x 25 m.
Wind range: 6* to 20 mph
Recommended line: 500** to 1,250 lb test

*6 mph only with no tail and light line
**500 lb. test only for light wind

DANG ... the bold line ... just for a light wind ? ... dang !!!

I don't know what you mean by "bold" line, but I had the Killip on a white 1/4" 1,100-lb line, with the fish kites/laundry run up it on a black 500-lb line. (I wish I had put the Killip on an 1,800-lb line because the winds rose from a little under 15 knots to more than 22, gusting to 24! The larger rope would have been much easier to handle when walking the kite down sideways on the narrow beach.)

For scale, the pink shark kite is 20' long, and the black fish (24' long kite) is only half way up the white line. Technically, the Killip is not lifting here, but providing a rock-steady taut line to keep my fish corralled on a crowded beach of flyers. The fish kites and laundry were difficult enough to pull down in the high winds without fighting the Killip at the same time.